How Do You Keep Motivated?

So, today I was going to try out the water drops thing, so I would end up with an effect like this:

post-39459-12643384625841_thumb.jpg

[Click for Original]

I was following this tutorial, but I found out after the first few shots, it simply wouldn't work the way I wanted it to. Here's a sample of one of the best from the shoot.

post-39459-12643388853709_thumb.jpg

Highly shocking, I know. It's supposed to be the Saving Private Ryan DVD case. I did get some nice shots of water drops though:

post-39459-12643388682827_thumb.jpg

So I pretty much wasted about an hour and a half getting everything set up. I tried different things and simply couldn't get the drops to focus the subject behind them. Firstly, the water wouldn't stick together nicely, so I decided to use some cooking oil, hence the smudge marks in the second shot. The oil didn't really help keep the water together in a nice drop either :/

When things don't quite go your way, how do you keep motivated? Right now, I feel like I am rubbish and there's no point in trying anything like that again, I give up too easy sometimes I know, but I really can't stand wasting time.

Thanks

How do I keep motivated? I realize that some projects will fail. I realize that there will be down times when I have nothing creative to shoot. Things like this can come in waves, and you just gotta get used to the times between creative waves. It's natural and everybody goes through it.

Go through your library and take a look at all the awesome shots that you have made already. Think about taking those when you were first starting out. I doubt your best shots were taken the first week you got a camera. Like others said, practice makes perfect (cliche but true). Just think of it as a learning experience.

It definitely does take some patience, but I just like going through and looking at the good shots I've taken in the past to help me stay motivated about any future shots I'll be taking.

Motivation comes from passion, at least for me. Sometimes when you trying out a new thing it ends up being something completely unexpected, though.

• 2 weeks later...

Staying motivated is something you need to work on. I am doing two 365 projects this year. One of my son, the other of anything else.

I choose some projects and sometimes they come out ok other times I have to shelve them and rethink to get the shot I want. Sometimes I go back to older themes to see if I can improve on it.