• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

[Official] Apple Event -27th January 2009

Scazza    30

I've searched the forum and cannot find a post that is covering this event?! So let me first appologise to the mods/users if there is already a thread covering this event!

So Apple has sent out invitations to an Event which is taking place on Wednesday 27th January 2010 asking everyone to "Come See Our Latest Creation".

apple-itablet-event-invites-arrive-0.jpg

Websites over the last couple weeks have been speculating and covering rumours left, right and centre about event! Mainly because they all expect the Apple Tablet to be unvealed. The amount of rumours circulating about this iSlate or iPad (the main 2 names being speculated) is incredible! Everytime I log on to Engadget or Gizmodo there is a new article discussing a rumour from a source about the iSlate/iPad.

Tech Crunch reports that Steve Jobs has been heard saying that the upcoming Apple tablet "will be the most important thing I've ever done."

Some rumours are very believable, others are not so! Here are a few believable and not so believable rumours which have been discussed:

Believable:

- The tablet will have a unique UI, it won't run the iPhone OS and it won't run OS X.

- The tablet will have an aluminium casing.

- The tablet will have a 10" display.

- The tablet will have multiple 3G Carriers.

Not So Believable:

- The tablet will have 3D OS Navigation.

- The tablet will have an OLED screen.

There are alot more rumours floating about and I am sure you guys are aware of these so post them and discuss what you expect to be unvealed at the show and what you think will be the key points of the Apple Tablet.

Another rumour which has been said to be both something Apple will include and will not include is a Front Facing Built-In Camera. Recently stated in the WSJ:

This person said Apple has experimented with the ability ... for the gadget to automatically recognize individuals via a built-in camera.

Everyone is expecting the Tablet to look very much like a flattened 2G iPhone (First Gen), but knowing Apple it wouldn't suprise me if they offer this in an aluminium finish and the same finish found on the back of the iPhone.

Price will be a very important for this to be a complete success, with alot of people adopting the iPhone if this is priced at what is being speculated ($1,000) I don't think people will jump on board straight away. Of course there will be the Apple fanboys who will buy this regardless of the price, but myself owning an iPhone, MBP & a Dell Mini 9 running Snow Leopard OS X the price is going to have to be affordable for me to buy it. So I am hoping for a price range between $500-$600 (?400-?500).

Hopefully the iSlate/iPad will have multiple 3G carriers and will be available at a reduced rate by signing up to a mobile broadband contract.

Also, rumours of iPhone OS 4.0 will be shown at the show are being thrown about. Not much going about what it will include ect....... but some websites state it might be shown!

So use this thread to discuss rumours about this event and what you are hoping to see unvealed!

Dance.    21

I'm waiting on a new MBP so I can buy eetz :D!

mattnotley2004    5

I'm hangin out for iPhone OS 4.0.

Really hoping it's real.. not just a rumor.

Something which I don't get... I hope Apple add in future releases...

Hardly any mobiles allow you to search the phone book by phone number. It's only by name.

Would be really handy for missed call SMS messages, to just enter the phone number, and it locates the contact in the phone book.

Creamy    1

Can't really say whats likely and whats not....I hope to see the Tablet but I guess that would be way too expensive...:s

shivs    4

I'm hangin out for iPhone OS 4.0.

Really hoping it's real.. not just a rumor.

Something which I don't get... I hope Apple add in future releases...

Hardly any mobiles allow you to search the phone book by phone number. It's only by name.

Would be really handy for missed call SMS messages, to just enter the phone number, and it locates the contact in the phone book.

Surely just by calling the number, it will show the contacts name that you're dialling.

mattnotley2004    5

Surely just by calling the number, it will show the contacts name that you're dialling.

True. Never really thought of that.

That's what I used to do with my Nokia phones, but for some reason I forgot all about it.

Going from a standard phone to a smartphone, expectations are higher.

evo0o    12

the tablet won't be the main thing i'll be looking forward to, but again, it's apple, they sometimes do pull a fast one on us.

TruckWEB    480

Considering that the iPhone 3Gs can cost up to $600 here in Canada, I can only assume that this Tablet will cost arms and legs, $1000

That's the thing with Apple. They do excellent/gorgeous hardware, but they charge you to hell for it.

I wonder what will be the cost of HP iSlate, a full Win7 Netbook in a Tablet....

DaViD_BRaNDoN    0

Am so looking forward to a new iPhone OS 3.2/4.0

tonyunreal    0

o.o I thought the tablet event is in Jan 2010.

Anyway, I'm interested in the new version of iPhone os too, hope we can get full bluetooth AVRCP support and multitasking.

sundayx    127

Here comes the print revolution!

Scazza    30

o.o I thought the tablet event is in Jan 2010.

Anyway, I'm interested in the new version of iPhone os too, hope we can get full bluetooth AVRCP support and multitasking.

Thats a good point, I seem to still be living in 2009 and fail to remember that we are in 2010!

If a MOD could edit the title that would be great :)

P.S

LESS THAN AN HOUR TO GO!

Creamy    1

Following the engadget coverage...:)

bob_loblaw    3

It's about to start! Is there any place I can stream the event?

cabron    15

The ipad its official:

appletabletb99.jpg

Poser    0

Wow looks sweet .... but just an oversized iphone dont u think?

apple-tablet-keynote_033.jpg

Ridlas    39

in after over sized iphone.

ApuBo    10

yes oversized itouch.

Rob2687    72

No flash on a device like that? :(

KoL    36

Looks sweet but I want to see the specs.

Mathachew    149

Threads merged

cabron    15

appletabletb139.jpg

appletabletb141.jpg

appletabletb160.jpg

RadishTM    318

Meh.

AJerman    761

How incredibly awful. That looks like they heard people talking about the tablet for all this time, then decided to throw this together last month alone. The hardware looks TERRIBLE with the gigantic bezel, the software looks like about a week of effort was put into porting over the iPhone software. And it looks like no flash? Surely it must have flash, he'll probably mention that at the end sometime.

Regardless. Unless this thing cost about $100, I sure as hell am not wasting my money on it.

Creamy    1

I don't know about this....Its a big iPhone, isn't it?