• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

[Official] Apple Event -27th January 2009

Mike415    2

I love the quote "What this device does is extraordinary! You can browse the web with it..." -Steve Jobs

ienhz    0

Most Netbook fail to do anything usefull when it comes to video. You need a ION powered Netbook for that and they cost more. Standard Netbook can't even play Youtube video correctly!!

The ease of use of a tablet (when done correctly) surpass any Netbook with a clumsy small keyboard and mini trackpad. And even if it runs Win7 and you can multi-task, with most of them being limited to 2Gb of RAM, you don't multi-task that much....

You have no idea what you're talking about. I had an Asus EEE 1000HE as my main computer for a couple months and youtube plays fine. Obviously, flash-based HD content will struggle since it is so CPU intensive. Most 720p video will work on it IF it is run in quicktime or WMP. A netbook will playback most content fine. I'm not sure why you're even bringing this up in comparison to the iPad anyways. Does the iPad even open divx/xvid files, let alone HD mkv files?

So... a netbook has a clumsy small keyboard but there's no doubt about the iPad's keyboard? I'd rather use a 10" netbook's keyboard than try to use iWork to type out an essay on the iPad. In any case, you can get 11.6" netbooks with full size keyboards already and they cost the same as the iPad. Just look at the 11.6" Acer timeline or the Lenovo S12. Both are well under $500.

mail    10
stonevsipad.jpg

qdave    159

Thank Rad, going to check this out now.

Arkanius    0

I'm sad there isn't a solid note taking app (For all the University students out there)

Quillz    1,011

I'm sad there isn't a solid note taking app (For all the University students out there)

Exactly... Is Apple brain dead? They release the iPad yet don't include the Inkwell technology that's been in Mac OS X for nearly a decade? They build in handwriting support in Snow Leopard (for drawing Chinese characters, for example), yet don't let you do this on the iPad?

They include a Notes app... You'd think it would make perfect sense to allow you to just draw graphs or mathematical equations or just handwrite your notes. I mean... Tablet PCs have been around since the 90s and you've been able to do that. I honestly don't see the point to an iPad that doesn't let you, you know... use it like a tablet of paper.

I'm really hoping a firmware update fixes some of the major flaws of this product. Exactly why does this product exist if it can't do half the things a tablet PC can do?

shakey    1,127

Surprised no one is as off put by the lack of widescreen and how it only displays up to 480p..... That right there is the number 1 reason I wouldn't get it.

Quillz    1,011

Surprised no one is as off put by the lack of widescreen and how it only displays up to 480p..... That right there is the number 1 reason I wouldn't get it.

That, too... 1024?768... Are we back in the 1990s? Apple makes such a big deal about how they "pioneered widescreen displays on portable devices," so why isn't this widescreen? I fail to see how they couldn't have worked a 16:9 display onto the unit.

evo0o    12

i don't know about y'all, but this keynote has been a disappointment for me.

RadishTM    315

i don't know about y'all, but this keynote has been a disappointment for me.

I think that's the general consensus in this thread :p

User6060    352

i can't get the streams to work consistently, is it just me or has quicktime streaming always sucked

Demitri    0

the fact alone that it cant multi task is an epic fail.

Wanderermy    37

I bet in about 6 months, iPad 2.0 ... with camera.

Manish    44

I would've preferred it if they'd spent their time, money and effort improving the hardware and software of the iPhone line instead.

Also, the way Steve Jobs was "bigging up" the iPad was ridiculous. Magical? :rolleyes:

Quillz    1,011

I would've preferred it if they'd spent their time, money and effort improving the hardware and software of the iPhone line instead.

Also, the way Steve Jobs was "bigging up" the iPad was ridiculous. Magical? :rolleyes:

Everything Steve Jobs releases at a Stevenote is "revolutionary," "magical," "amazing," "unbelieveable," and it's all designed for us "mere mortals."

boogerjones    86

I was introduced to Gizmodo tonight. And after reading 2 minutes of their shameless promotion of the joke that is the iPad, I'll never visit the site again.

Quillz    1,011

I was introduced to Gizmodo tonight. And after reading 2 minutes of their shameless promotion of the joke that is the iPad, I'll never visit the site again.

What article on Gizmodo are you referring to, specifically? Because the general vibe on the site is quite lukewarm to the iPad, including an article listing 8 major flaws of the device.

Bioran    11

They have a few negative posts as well, like this.

But this image sums it up for me. No multitask? Enlarged iPod Touch? Not even USB or camera? No thanks.

revvo    21

He's a genius....

1264656099233.jpg

• Like 2

Hell-In-A-Handbasket    277

Awsome, and true. Lol

He's a genius....

1264656099233.jpg

pdmcmahon    0

So, as I often heard 11 years ago when Episode 1 came out - when you wait 16 years for anything, it will fail to meet expectations more often than not. What didn't help the introduction of this device is the incredible amount of press, hype and rumor mills that cranked out the endless stories about what it will do, won't do, etc.

Sad to say, I don't think I will be purchasing this product, it was just too much of a let-down. Based on previous experience with Apple keynotes and product announcements, this was considerably underwhelming.

Also, is it just me or is Scott Forstall really creepy looking up close? I have been used to seeing him from afar during keynotes, but when that promo video ran towards the end of the keynote, it looks like he maybe has a slight case of lazy eye or something, but his stare is going to keep me up a little tonight.

Paul Paliath    68

The tablet was pretty disappointing mainly because the blogosphere made it sound as though it would solve the world's problems, but then again, we got pretty much what we expected; an enlarged iPod Touch. Now see, don't get me wrong, it's certainly a cool device which I'm sure will satisfy its users with the experience that Apple is great at creating, but I just fail to see what justifies its price point, and how exactly it's innovative and shakes up the industry. For $629 (the cost of the tablet with 16GB of flash memory and 3G support), you could get a pretty decent computer that allows you to do more.

Just saying, if I allocated that sum of money and had to choose what to spend it on, I'd pick a PC/laptop/netbook any day over the tablet. Steve knocked netbooks, but what exactly is so great about the tablet? The iPhone was revolutionary, the iPod was revolutionary, but I'm just not too sure of whether or not the iPad will join the 2.

RoomKid    15

okay, so its loaded with iPhone OS 3.2 right? Will it ever be out for the iPhones too?

Paul Paliath    68

I'm sure it will. Hopefully it has the iPad-esque UI; I actually like it, it's clean, sleek, and professional.