[Official] Apple Event -27th January 2009

He's a genius....

1264656099233.jpg

Lol, epic. Image saved for future use lol

I'm sure it will. Hopefully it has the iPad-esque UI; I actually like it, it's clean, sleek, and professional.

I have to agree, just can't wait for it to be out for download on iTunes :)

Apple didn't give us a great amount of time with its newly unveiled iPad today, and as you've likely seen, we spent the bulk of our allotment touching the unit itself. Lost in the proverbial shuffle were a number of the unit's launch accessories, including the admittedly intriguing keyboard dock ($69), case ($39), iPad Dock Connector to VGA adapter ($29) and camera connection kit ($29). Each of these doodads seem to look and feel exactly as you'd expect 'em to, though we're still baffled by Apple's decision to make you pay extra for access to the world's most widely accepted connector. We're also somewhat appalled (but not surprised) by the $39 price tag purportedly attached to the stripped-down case, and while the $69 MSRP on the keyboard dock is apt to cause some grumbling, at least there are a few iPad-specific keys on there to make it (marginally) worth your while. Dig in below for more on each.

Source

Looks like Apple going to milk you for every penny you got ... pure greed.

new technology is like baseball..sometimes you hit a homerun like the iphone did and sometimes you just ground or flyout like the ipad will most likely do....apple touted this machine as being something extraordinary when it simply cannot live up to those standards no matter which way your look at it. Steve Jobs has had alot of great ideas in his years with Apple but sometimes what you think is a good idea doesn't necessarily agree with the majority of the rest of the world and herein lies the probably. Unlike Microsoft who conduct countless focus groups before a product is released, Apple is kinda one-minded in their way of thinking, Steve Jobs minded to be precise, and tend to neglect what the end user thinks of a product in favor of what they think fits best. Who knows, maybe this will be a lesson to them to actually listen to what the consumer has to say. Microsoft learned this exact lesson long ago and changed the way they develop products to fit a broad base of consumers uses. Windows 7 was a prime example of this. So to Apple and Steve Jobs, the moral of this story is listen to what the consumer wants and value that more than you value your own wants and ideas and you will make a hit product next time.

Its kinda ridiculous carrying around an oversized ipod touch.

Personally i would be embarrassed to use this on public coz its like saying "look at me.I got the new iPad and i am using its compass to find my way to Starbucks.How on fashion am i?" :D

I see no use of it and i believe only Apple junkies will go after this one.

Its kinda ridiculous carrying around an oversized ipod touch.

Personally i would be embarrassed to use this on public coz its like saying "look at me.I got the new iPad and i am using its compass to find my way to Starbucks.How on fashion am i?" :D

I see no use of it and i believe only Apple junkies will go after this one.

I don't think the device is really as big as it might appear. Usually things are smaller when you actually see it up close and hold it.

I see people with real tablet PCs all the time and they certainly don't seem embarrassed walking around with them. Certainly no one is embarrassed carting around an iPod nano or iPod touch. Apple is the trendy thing at the moment, so you can bet all "cool" kids will be lugging around an iPad in short order.

Is there a direct download link for the keynote out yet?

It's now available via the "Apple Keynotes" podcast. Comes in at 1.03 GB.

I don't think the device is really as big as it might appear. Usually things are smaller when you actually see it up close and hold it.

I see people with real tablet PCs all the time and they certainly don't seem embarrassed walking around with them. Certainly no one is embarrassed carting around an iPod nano or iPod touch. Apple is the trendy thing at the moment, so you can bet all "cool" kids will be lugging around an iPad in short order.

Exactly my point.

Using tablet PC is ok

Using Iphone/Ipod touch which are small and discreet compared to iPad is ok.Everyone has one of them now so you wont be like "hey look what i am using"

But opening up your bag on a coffee place for example and getting out a huge ipod touch ( or i-pod touch on steroids as insanelymac refers to it) is kinda weird and lame.You are practically shouting "your iphones are small.Mine is bigger.Look what i got" and you don't need me to say how much "not trendy" but ridiculous one will look holding an ipad.

Not going to lie, I was kind of disappointed. I was expecting something that could at least run more than one app at once. :/ That combined with the lack of a physical keyboard and no USB ports means it's a miss for me.

^ LOL :rofl:

The iPad launch was a disappointment for me. I expected a much advanced, tweaked and up to date OS as well as the ability to, let's see... MULTITASK.

And srsly, how did Apple let the name iPad pass through their name department or smth, so many jokes hitting the net already

You know I wanted one when I seen it, then seen the specs and such am I highly disappointed like the rest of you, but here is the problem. I got home last night and my wife said... "OMG I gotta have one!! Go ahead and pre order it". I told her "WTF I would rather get a notebook that can do that PLUS some" she didnt care, she wants one.

Then I got to work this morning, and no lie 15 people at work are all getting one. They don't care if it has multitasking or no USB or anything. THEY WANT IT, and are all getting it, and trust me these aren't apple people, hell 5 of them do not even own PC's at home now, and I had to explain to them that you have to have a PC to sync it to if you aren't buying the $130+montly plan 3G model. 3 of those said they would just go to McDonald's or Starbucks or something to download items, they still want it...

I have a feeling these people are going to really get one, and if these 15 people here at my job will be, I know there are a million more that will get one too. It's going to sell and thats just sad.

This looks like a great device to browse the net with around the house, take notes on for university (if only they'd have handwriting recognition!) it could even be used in shops as point-of-sale device.

I think it will fly of the shelf, it's a great gadget for the average person who wants to play games, check their emails, go on facebook and look at their holiday snaps.

HOWEVER: I won't be getting one, or at least this initial model because I know version 2 will likely have an iSight, usb ports and perhaps even extendable memory for photos. The software also needs to be updated to allow multi-tasking and flash.

But I really think the tech community is being overly critical over this, and probably because the tech community invented a perfect device in their head instead of using their head to think about what is actually likely on a first-generation device (considering Apple will want room for improvements and make cost-effective).

PS: The point people made about 1024x768 - I consider this a nice resolution for a screen that size. And sure, the ratio isn't the greatest, but what is better? No matter what ratio they used people would complain "omg it's not cinema ratio, I have letterbox" - "omg it's 16:9 - my apps look weird" - "omg this isn't a standard resolution - stupid Apple".

Most of the people in this thread don't actually understand half of what they've heard.

I can't be bothered to quote you all as multiquote isn't working for me so read back if you need to:

1. The screen:

- the 480p IS THE VIDEO-OUT DOCK, NOT THE SCREEN, the screen is 1024x768, which is higher resolution than 720p.

- Whilst on that topic, not only is that a good resolution for a 9 inch screen, it sports a rather high PPI. it's really good. read further than the numbers.

2. GPS. IT DOES HAVE IT and to that one whining about a-gps, aGPS is BETTER than standard gps, it's assisted by cell towers so you don't need to wait a few minutes to connect.

3. Multitasking. This isn't down to the iPad, it's the software which could be changed at any time. I personally believe it is the sole reason the iPad is launching on 3.2, not 4.0. 4.0 will bring multitasking to the iPad and the new iPhone (this will be the reason to upgrade, even though the 3gs will support it fine. business.)

4. FLASH. Whilst it would be nice to watch flash videos, I think it is wise leaving it out, it is helping an already widespread move to push flash out of the limelight in favour of html5. Noone should need another bloaty bit of software to download after an install on any computer. we have what we need already, why do flash in the first place. as for games, I am fine with having people sign up to the app store. If the game is worth it, it will be accepted. There is even a direct flash-to-iphone converter in the SDK.

The iPad has a fair few issues, the screen is not one of them. I would have enjoyed a front-facing camera. and I would enjoy multitasking and windowed apps. but that's what rev.2 is for.

I reakon they should have released a stylus for it, I understand Steve's ambition for finger-based software but inkwell would have been nice for students. This could be done, though; they'd just need to build a bluetooth pen (which could even have pressure sensitivity- it doesnt need to be in the screen, Wacoms do it in the pen.) and code in support for 3.x or 4.x. I do hope that happens.

You know I wanted one when I seen it, then seen the specs and such am I highly disappointed like the rest of you, but here is the problem. I got home last night and my wife said... "OMG I gotta have one!! Go ahead and pre order it". I told her "WTF I would rather get a notebook that can do that PLUS some" she didnt care, she wants one.

Then I got to work this morning, and no lie 15 people at work are all getting one. They don't care if it has multitasking or no USB or anything. THEY WANT IT, and are all getting it, and trust me these aren't apple people, hell 5 of them do not even own PC's at home now, and I had to explain to them that you have to have a PC to sync it to if you aren't buying the $130+montly plan 3G model. 3 of those said they would just go to McDonald's or Starbucks or something to download items, they still want it...

Wait a minute you're supposed to be a tech? eh, how come you're being a bit clueless? How does having not having the 3G montly mean you need a PC to sync it with? it has WiFi, they don't need a PC to have a wireless router you know.

I reakon they should have released a stylus for it, I understand Steve's ambition for finger-based software but inkwell would have been nice for students. This could be done, though; they'd just need to build a bluetooth pen (which could even have pressure sensitivity- it doesnt need to be in the screen, Wacoms do it in the pen.) and code in support for 3.x or 4.x. I do hope that happens.

A stylus could be problematic when you multitouch the screen with the bottom of your hand and the stylus while attempting to write or "click" an item using the stylus.

Wait a minute you're supposed to be a tech? eh, how come you're being a bit clueless? How does having not having the 3G montly mean you need a PC to sync it with? it has WiFi, they don't need a PC to have a wireless router you know.

I was saying if you want songs/video etc without using the app store to purchase each one. Most people without a PC are not going to purchase a high speed internet account for a tablet.. or will they "insert dramatic chipmunk"