Steven Spielberg's "Falling Skies"

too much drama and cry.

so the world was invaded, 90% of humanity died and these people walk around clean and well feed? where is all the bodies and desctruction? all the places are intact and not one body of the deads around?

too much drama and cry.

so the world was invaded, 90% of humanity died and these people walk around clean and well feed? where is all the bodies and desctruction? all the places are intact and not one body of the deads around?

Well, they did run into that one dead body on the college campus...although other than that, I agree.

Can't really pinpoint it but there's something fundamentally wrong with the show. Here are some things that annoy me: The constant background music during conversations give a cheap soapy feeling, the characters have no depth and are way too predictable (you have the standard tough guy, the understanding old guy, the rebellious teen (who is naturally played by a 25-yo), the father that fights for his family, the bad guy gets a second chance and turns completely around etc.) and compared to a lot of other shows lately the computer graphics are subpar. Not to mention the fact you have this post-apocalyptic world where everyone neatly follows orders with an almost perfectly organized resistance movement, only six months after our entire civilization has been wiped out?

Noah While is disappointing as well... In the last episode the other guy screwed up the entire campaign resulting in the capture of his other son and his son's girlfriend almost getting everyone killed in the process. Instead of showing true anger and emotion he reacts like: "Hey man, what were you thinking? C'mon..." [5 seconds later] "Oh well, water under the bridge I guess..." and moves on.

Overall I'm not finding the show very convincing, not to mention things progresses very slow. :/

too much drama and cry.

What are you talking about? Did you even watch the show? Almost everyone is dirty and/or ragged, and looks like they haven't showered or washed in weeks. One of the main plot lines of the show so far is that they're constantly searching for food to feed everyone, so they're not well fed. In fact, the pilot started out with a scout party on mission to retrieve food. In the pilot, there were lot of bodies lying around, but now the group has moved out of the city and into smaller town areas. So, it only makes sense that there isn't a ton of bodies lying around. Most everyone probably packed up and fled. So...which show were you watching?

Can't really pinpoint it but there's something fundamentally wrong with the show. Here are some things that annoy me: The constant background music during conversations give a cheap soapy feeling, the characters have no depth and are way too predictable (you have the standard tough guy, the understanding old guy, the rebellious teen (who is naturally played by a 25-yo), the father that fights for his family, the bad guy gets a second chance and turns completely around etc.) and compared to a lot of other shows lately the computer graphics are subpar. Not to mention the fact you have this post-apocalyptic world where everyone neatly follows orders with an almost perfectly organized resistance movement, only six months after our entire civilization has been wiped out?

Noah While is disappointing as well... In the last episode the other guy screwed up the entire campaign resulting in the capture of his other son and his son's girlfriend almost getting everyone killed in the process. Instead of showing true anger and emotion he reacts like: "Hey man, what were you thinking? C'mon..." [5 seconds later] "Oh well, water under the bridge I guess..." and moves on.

Overall I'm not finding the show very convincing, not to mention things progresses very slow. :/

I agree to an extent. Twice now, that I can remember, one of the characters out on a mission with Noah's character did the classic idiotic break cover to rescue someone they cared out. The kid trying to get the dog in front of the armory, and the black guy trying to get his son back. Those scenes, to me, just screamed cliche.

The background music I don't even notice, so I would say that it's fine. The characters could use a little more elaboration, but it is only the second episode of the series. You can't expect every character on the show to be dissected by now. I do think that Noah's character is written well, though. The back story about his family is pretty good.

And everyone doesn't "neatly follow orders". In both episodes there have been numerous instances where the chain of command was broken, not to mention the sub-plot with the gang/hostage situation. It also isn't hard to imagine that if civilization were to end such as it did in the show, then at least some of the remnants would band together to survive because it's easier than trying to go it alone. As I said before, it's only 2 episodes into the series so far. The writers have plenty of time to write about discords among the survivors. In fact, they're already setting such a story up with the whole "why do the civilians have to sleep in tents while the soldiers use the houses?"

It seems to me, some of you are just looking for little nitpicky things to complain about. Even when the show is only 2 episodes old, you're critiquing it like it's several seasons in. I for one enjoyed the show, and all the little touches that the writers threw in. Yeah, there are some things that could be improved upon, but that's true for every show.

I'm still not sure about this show. It seems a mix of so many other shows (V and Battlestar Galactica come to mind right away). I'll give it a couple of more episodes to see if it grabs me.

needs more battles.

dunno I think if there was constant battles it would be boring after a few episodes

The background music I don't even notice, so I would say that it's fine. The characters could use a little more elaboration, but it is only the second episode of the series. You can't expect every character on the show to be dissected by now. I do think that Noah's character is written well, though. The back story about his family is pretty good.

The music started bothering me in the second episode and even more in the third. Instead of the setting and conversations triggering a certain feeling in the audience, the music does. It's becoming too dominant and distracting in my opinion. There's background music in just about every single scene, Dirty Sexy Money is a show that suffers from the exact same problem for example. Conversations are static, rehearsed and don't come across as being natural. Fringe for example is a show that does this much better.

The characters and aliens are a cliche, there's absolutely nothing about them that makes them unique or stand out even. They're extremely bland and unconvincing. I just finished reading some reviews on the show and apparently quite a few people agree with this. In a series like Battlestar Galactica (the new one) the characters where much more dynamic and human from the very start in my opinion.

And everyone doesn't "neatly follow orders". In both episodes there have been numerous instances where the chain of command was broken, not to mention the sub-plot with the gang/hostage situation. It also isn't hard to imagine that if civilization were to end such as it did in the show, then at least some of the remnants would band together to survive because it's easier than trying to go it alone. As I said before, it's only 2 3 episodes into the series so far. The writers have plenty of time to write about discords among the survivors. In fact, they're already setting such a story up with the whole "why do the civilians have to sleep in tents while the soldiers use the houses?"

You keep going on about being only two episodes into the series but we're actually already on 3/10 of this season. Like I said for a post-apocalyptic world things seem way too organized. People aren't really being hunted down too much, they can relax, sleep in houses or tents out in the open, many cities and towns are still largely intact, kids go to school, groups across the continent are working together without many problems forming the resistance etc. It just doesn't seem realistic in a six-month timeframe. :/ Basically the only real action we've seen is when they start gathering resources and try to grab that kid.

It seems to me, some of you are just looking for little nitpicky things to complain about. Even when the show is only 2 3 episodes old, you're critiquing it like it's several seasons in. I for one enjoyed the show, and all the little touches that the writers threw in. Yeah, there are some things that could be improved upon, but that's true for every show.

It seems to me that you don't deal with criticism towards this show very well. Does it affect you on a personal level for some reason? Beyond that I'm not looking for anything, I just noticed these things when watching this show for the past two weeks. I'm hoping it will turn out better, but unlike some other shows I watched recently Falling Skies isn't off to a very strong start in my opinion. For a season that only exists out of ten episodes it's too slow and doesn't really seem to go anywhere. Maybe we'll see a clearer direction in the next two episodes but by then we're already half-way through.

I just saw the first episode... does this show suck like hell or is it just me?

Cheesy plot, bad/unbelievable scenes and settings... terrible script and acting is subpar...hmmm

too much drama and cry.

battle los angeles+soap opera=falling skies.

battle los angeles+soap opera=falling skies.

toom much drama? have you seen stargate universe? that show was much worse than this one and the pilot was horrible, yet for some reason it went on for 2 seasons. I thought falling skies made a good start, sure it's not stargate but any new sci-fi drama is better than sgu *shudder*. Wish Atlantis or Trek was back on....this'll have to do I suppose.

toom much drama? have you seen stargate universe? that show was much worse than this one and the pilot was horrible, yet for some reason it went on for 2 seasons. I thought falling skies made a good start, sure it's not stargate but any new sci-fi drama is better than sgu *shudder*. Wish Atlantis or Trek was back on....this'll have to do I suppose.

SGU got a hell of alot better in second season which made it travesty it got canned

SGU got a hell of alot better in second season which made it travesty it got canned

Yeah I'm missing that one too. :( I thought the acting in that show was a whole lot better than in Falling Skies for example. For some reason the characters seemed a whole lot more realistic and had more depth. The special effects were more convincing as well.

Yeah I'm missing that one too. :( I thought the acting in that show was a whole lot better than in Falling Skies for example. For some reason the characters seemed a whole lot more realistic and had more depth. The special effects were more convincing as well.

which is strange because I bet SGU was lower budget

I saw the pilot and I was not impressed. They talk way too much and not enough action between the humans and the aliens. I don't think this series will last too long. I doubt it will get a second season.

It's funny how no one gives shows a chance any more. It's all about advertising, of course, but really it's about the mentality of people that watch them. No one has any patience any more, it's well known people don't watch JUST the shows, they're on the internet at the same time etc etc. Star Trek TNG went for 7 seasons, the best being 4-onwards... can you imagine now what would have happened - it would have been cancelled after the second or even first season.

I just saw the first episode... does this show suck like hell or is it just me?

Cheesy plot, bad/unbelievable scenes and settings... terrible script and acting is subpar...hmmm

I can top in terms of stupid television. Look for the movie "2012:ice age". It is by far the worst movie I have ever seen.

I can top in terms of stupid television. Look for the movie "2012:ice age". It is by far the worst movie I have ever seen.

lawl I saw a picture from that and laughed