XP Reboots when i connect certain USB Device

Hello everyone;

I have a small problem my computer keeps rebooting every time i plug in certain USB devices in to the machine. USB Mouse & USB keyboard work fine and the USB Webcam refuses to work at all it just reboots the machine giving me an error code 1003, i booted into Ubuntu and plugged in my 1GB stick which worked find then i tried a 4GB stick and that was given no power at all the same with the USB Webcam.

The motherboard is a P5KPL-AM SE their dosent appear to be any Chipset updates since 2008 i have not come across a problem like this before, anyone got any suggestions?

Cheers

Rich

Hmm....I'd say try two things, Uninstall and reinstall the drivers.

(Make sure the USB device isn't connected untill you are prompted to plug it in)

Secondly..

if the probably still present,

Press WIndows key and pause together (System Properties will appear)

Navigate to the advanced tad, Click start up and recovery option.

Untick the box that says "Restart automaticlly"

Then then i think you are prompted to restart (irronicly)

Now plug in the the USB device and you should get the "bluesceen of death"

Right down the error code and then tell us what it is :)

I got the blue screen of death already actually which was a stop message which indeicated hardware or driver malfunction.

I tried to remove the USB driver only to be presented with the same message, the USB Webcam refuses to work in Ubuntu but it dosent make the computer reboot. Since posting this i have disabled USB 2.0 support in the bios and the problem has dissolved but i still need to get to the root casuse.

Rich

This is one thing that used top bug me personally about XP.

Generally had to reinstall XP to solve it or it "randomly" just started to work again.

Some times using different USB port so that the drivers a reasiged to that one sometimes fixes the issue.

But in all honestly, I never found a complete solution for malfunctioning USB devices.

Thanks.

Renshaw

Funny thing is Tuesday my computer went into a state where if i plugged or unplugged a usb device that wasnt my mouse and keybaord and usb hub, it restarted my computer. Constantly.

I have 7, and I googled and everything came up XP. I booted into my XP installation and it started doing the same thing. I then booted back into 7, unticked the box and ironically my problem stopped.... I was like ok... I ticked the box back after restarting my computer plugged in my flash drive and it restarted. As this was ****ing me off, i thought of one thing. XP or 7, disable the USB controller and reenable it.

After this, It worked perfectly fine. SO far its working, but everytime i have to plug in a usb device into my front panel, i hestitate becuase if my system blue screens or retarts im gonna be more ****ed.