iPad will not fail

AudioDope

http://digg.com/apple/Why_the_iPod_will_fail_a_MacRumors_forum_thread_from_2001

We have an article on the main page saying the iPad will fail, but keep in mind almost everything that was released there was always speculation that the product will fail miserably.

Look at that link and see for yourself on a bunch of pages people saying they wont pay $300-400 for just an mp3 player, etc and obviously you're well aware of how successful it really is now

I just think its useless to argue about if a product will fail. In many things it's obvious such as that Sarcasm mark (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/6995354/Sarcasm-punctuation-mark-aims-to-put-an-end-to-email-confusion.html) anyways i think its just a waste of time to argue if it will fail, lets just wait and see how it'll do, failure isnt even viable for apple...and im a pure windows guy. a product will only fail in my opinion if something is wrong with it or is useless, both of things do not apply to the iPad (could possibly have a manuf defect but doubt?)

What do you think? Won't it just succeed? Is it a waste of time to speculate "failure" sounds like something people do to get user participation/hits on websites etc.

SH3K0

Still not keen on paying for a device that is really 4:3 and locked down!

Richard Hammond

It will "succeed" enough to get Apple a profit, especially at $499+ but just like the Macbook Air it will be nothing but a niche product, if it ran OSX or some other in-between OS instead if iPhone OS it might become successful, but right now its just an overgrown iPod touch.

• Like 1
SH3K0

It will "succeed" enough to get Apple a profit, especially at $499+ but just like the Macbook Air it will be nothing but a niche product, if it ran OSX or some other in-between OS instead if iPhone OS it might become successful, but right now its just an overgrown iPod touch.

Yeah I am kind of annoyed with the fact their using iPhone OS as the OS kind of pointless really!

philcruicks

its better in 4:3, ok yes movies wont look quite as good, but i av an 11.6" netbook 16:9, and i turned mine portrait, it looks sooo stupid and squished, if u av a 10"ish 16:9 screen try it for youself. and you are for most of the time going to be using it in portrait rather than landscape, same as an touch/iphone, only time i use mine landscape is for movies or games, rest of the time its always going to be in portrait.

Geoffrey B.

Not to mention it does not even support Flash so you still arent getting the "full" web experience with it.

protocol7

Yeah I am kind of annoyed with the fact their using iPhone OS as the OS kind of pointless really!

Not when you tie it in to an App Store. That's where they're planning to make the money. Buy the iPad and then keep buying the apps.

+forster

Again it's pointless speculation, we wont know until after it's been released, it's still two months away where new features could be added.

Apple now have an opportunity to really hype it and get day 1 sales and preorders through the roof, all I can say for sure is that based on what was on show yesterday I certainly wont be dropping the coin for it. Id rather pick up a Macbook, or a Pro, it would be better bang for buck and really add to my productivity.

C_Guy

The iPad will 'fail' as much as the MacBook Air. As Richard said it will enjoy limited success but it won't take much away from netbooks or the wealth of tablet systems that are already succeeding on the market. Sorry Stevie.

jandler

The reason why the initial release of the ipod was said to fail was mainly because of the massive limitations that existed at the time. Namely, you need a mac 9 or 10.1 and firewire to sync. The problem was slightly addressed in 2002 with windows compability through musicmatch. But it wasn't until Apple fully embrace Windows in 2003/2004 with the release of itunes for windows and full sync through usb that ipod started selling well. The basic idea is that there were limitations like many first and second generation devices and they fixed it later on. So the success of the ipad will be defined on how they work on it from this day forward. 2nd, 3rd generation devices.

acnpt

I really want to buy one, to use as an ebook/internet browser while chilling on sofa or in bed.

Iphone = screen too small

Netbooks = akward shape/slower

Laptops = Need a desk/floor/pillow thing, or it'll burn your balls.

Desktop = Sitting at a desk, not on a sofa or in bed.

I'll be waiting for the second revision, multi-tasking and for it to be jailbroken. Hopefully we will start seeing more great applications for it, just look at iWorks for starters.

Also the price is too high in my opinion, $400 or £250 would be about right.

kInG aLeXo

It is basically a big iPhone, and will succeed like the iPhone succeeded, not because it had the best features or the less bugs "missing" features, but because Apple did it and knows how to market it the best.

jebus197

Lol, but what a choice of name!?! I mean iPad? It's already doing quite a good job of grossing people out:

BTW

Tablets are bound for a fail. They may sell a few, but they occupy a very niche market that the average Joe consumer is unlikely to want to buy into.

I'd be willing to bet my house on this format being an also-ran in 5 years, just like it was when they tried it previously.

iamwhoiam

It won't fail as there are too many Apple zealots that'll purchase it.

• Like 1
AgentGray

No camera. the nano has a video camera... but this does not.

No expandable storage... my $30 camera can have more storage options than it.

No flash....making the vast majority of the internet virtually unusuable.

if this thing succeeds it's in spite of itself...not because it's a good product.

SMELTN

Honestly I think if it had 3 added things, it will succeed.

1. Multitasking
  2. Front camera for video conferencing
  3. Flash support

My wife wants one like crazy though..

But you know they say it has bluetooth support, but thats all they said. Can it connect to a printer (which it probably should) since theyve added iWork to it? Maybe a bluetooth camera?

.Neo

It's pointless to have regular Mac OS X or Windows on a touch device. Even with the improvements Windows 7 brought the fast majority of elements in both the OS and its applications are completely unsuitable for touch screen devices. Same goes for Mac OS X Snow Leopard.

However, I agree that the iPhone OS in this form is underwhelming. The lack of multitasking is especially a drag.

Growled

Again it's pointless speculation, we wont know until after it's been released, it's still two months away where new features could be added.

I agree, At this point it's only a guess. However, I think it will be a success mainly because of the Apple brand.

Prince Charming

It's pointless to have regular Mac OS X or Windows on a touch device. Even with the improvements Windows 7 brought the fast majority of elements in both the OS and its applications are completely unsuitable for touch screen devices. Same goes for Mac OS X Snow Leopard.

However, I agree that the iPhone OS in this form is underwhelming. The lack of multitasking is especially a drag.

Windows 7 is actually very suitable on a touch screen device. It natively supports multitouch and gestural input very well, adding intuitive input to applications that aren't touch aware, and it spaces and subtly changes the UI to make it more touch friendly. I would suggest actually playing with a Windows 7 powered touch device, they're a joy to use.

• Like 4
carmatic

if apple creates a sort of 'dock' for it.... which is basically a desktop setup with a keyboard and stuff , and use the ipad as the screen... then it could possibly be a desktop netbook replacement

this 'dock' could also have speakers like an Ipod dock, or it could have a built in usb hub or something...

but seriously it needs flash support and multitasking... it sounds like they've decided to not have flash and multitasking so that the cpu usage never goes up and they could do 17 hours on a single charge, but whats the point if its too big to be carried outside your house anyway?

AudioDope

I think your all forgetting one thing.........

Flash is important for what? Do you still play flash games? It's for videos only correct?

Look at what Youtube did to help the non flash, they have mp4 format of their videos so even if apple doesnt have flash support they will use the mp4 to play youtube videos.

so that's off the list...

And i'm sure people will 'jailbreak' this or something and get more features/multi-tasking etc all incorporated theres enough devs

AgentGray

"do you still play flash games" as if flash game development's a dead platform... with major software development houses starting to spend millions with the advances 10.1's making.

not to mention the dozens of sites that are designed for "apple users" that take full advantage of what flash can do (for personal example, RunKeeper)

carmatic

I think your all forgetting one thing.........

Flash is important for what? Do you still play flash games? It's for videos only correct?

dont you realize how much better Tower Defence gets when you play it on a touchscreen??

especially a screen as big as the ipad's ...

and most of the flash games i've come across are point-and-click , its almost like they've been made for a touchscreen device...

+forster

Flash is important for what?

Christ, it just makes the net so much more enjoyable and flexible.

acnpt

I would suggest actually playing with a Windows 7 powered touch device, they're a joy to use.

Would have to find one first :whistle: j/k

I agree that apple and adobe need to get flash working on it, but hell flash is a load of **** even on some desktops/netbooks.