• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

iPad will not fail

AgentGray    12

Would have to find one first :whistle: j/k

Microsoft showed off a bunch of them just a few weeks ago when Apple was trying to keep the worst secret in technology's history.

carmatic    54

Microsoft showed off a bunch of them just a few weeks ago when Apple was trying to keep the worst secret in technology's history.

where can i actually pay for one?

and i think windows-running touchscreen tablets are in a seperate class from the ipad.... the fomer are fully fledged touchscreen PC's, the latter is a mobile internet device....

i mean like a better comparison would be if you had large winmo devices going up against the ipad

t_r_nelson    97

With the increased attention to the Android OS, you will see more and more devices using it. The Archos tablets have received decent reviews. And there are other tablets that will allow for more features that the iPad. The fact that it's an open platform will help to drive the adoption and to promote development of new features.

The iPad won't fail, but I think it'll have more competition than the iPhone did.

Xilo    934

4:3 oversized iPod Touch with no flash and no multitasking and restricted drm ebooks = EPIC FAIL

Subject Delta    108

As I stated in the news article comments:

The iPad is sort of a gateway device. Not quiet a netbook, not quiet a phone, and not really incorporating the best features of either. As some of the iPad models are actually more expensive than most netbooks, I can't see it being that big a draw, when you can get what is essentially a fully fleged computer for the same price. Sure, it will sell but I don't think it will will even be in the same universe as iPhone and iPod touch sales.

Rudy    457

Wall Street expects Apple's 'risky' iPad to sell 1M-5M in first year

got the quote from AppleInsider

SH3K0    1

They will no doubt sell but arghh still lacking a lot of features eg MultiTasking and whatever happened to OS 4.0 that was supposedly being announced?

Rudy    457

They will no doubt sell but arghh still lacking a lot of functionalities eg MultiTasking and whatever happened to OS 4.0 that was supposedly being announced?

Nothing was "supposed" to be announced, there was some rumors but rumors are just that, rumors

Quillz    1,011

It is basically a big iPhone, and will succeed like the iPhone succeeded, not because it had the best features or the less bugs "missing" features, but because Apple did it and knows how to market it the best.

Marketing didn't save duds like the G4 Cube and iPod Hi-Fi. Even Apple sometimes releases terrible products.

No camera. the nano has a video camera... but this does not.

No expandable storage... my $30 camera can have more storage options than it.

No flash....making the vast majority of the internet virtually unusuable.

if this thing succeeds it's in spite of itself...not because it's a good product.

Flash hardly constitutes "the vast majority of the internet," but the fact that the iPad, "the most amazing Web experience you'll ever have," doesn't support Flash is quite odd.

I think your all forgetting one thing.........

Flash is important for what? Do you still play flash games? It's for videos only correct?

Look at what Youtube did to help the non flash, they have mp4 format of their videos so even if apple doesnt have flash support they will use the mp4 to play youtube videos.

so that's off the list...

And i'm sure people will 'jailbreak' this or something and get more features/multi-tasking etc all incorporated theres enough devs

Flash is used for much more than just games and videos.

ynnoj    23

Failure? No. But it's a risk. Why'd you think Apple are pricing it so aggressively? We were expecting something in the range of $900-1000.

As somebody has already pointed out, the iPod and iPhone were apparently 'doomed' from launch. Look at those two devices now.

Not when you tie it in to an App Store. That's where they're planning to make the money. Buy the iPad and then keep buying the apps.

Actually, Apple makes very little revenue from the App Store.

http://www.appleinsi..._for_apple.html

Erich    6

The problem with the iPad isn't the device itself, it's the dock. The keyboard dock needs to be able to balance on your lap comfortably like a laptop. As well, there needs to be some way that the dock and iPad can clip together for transport while protecting the screen of the iPad.

Otherwise, I would probably buy an iPad well before a netbook, but that's only because I think netbooks are a joke. My 13" macbook suits me for now.

ynnoj    23

For those of you complaining about the lack of Flash, you need to read this.

protocol7    549

Actually, Apple makes very little revenue from the App Store.

http://www.appleinsi..._for_apple.html

I'd love to hear a detailed explanation of how you can take a 30% cut from 3 billion downloads and NOT make significant revenue.

ynnoj    23

I'd love to hear a detailed explanation of how you can take a 30% cut from 3 billion downloads and NOT make significant revenue.

appstoreeconomy.jpg

Nightwind Hawk    72

Wow, that image ^ .... $165 million profit per month for the apps? Haha...

I think the iPad is a huge disappointment. Why is it that Apple always misses SO many features on the first launch? No flash support means any video site (hulu?) other than youtube won't work. No multi-task support still?? On a device this big????? Why can't I listen to Pandora as I write a text message?

It's just ridiculous. I doubt it will fail, but that's only because so many blind people will go out, buy one, love it for a month, then leave it in the closet and forget about it.

Hell-In-A-Handbasket    277

Yes, flash is important for the Full Web Experiance

withought flash i would miss out on all the Sales / Trials / Web Commercials, and other Advertisements that i ALSO get in the mail everyday. why settle for just Physical media when digital and physical is the better way

protocol7    549

Dunno about you, but to me $165m a month sounds like a pretty good revenue stream.

Why is it that Apple always misses SO many features on the first launch? No flash support means any video site (hulu?) other than youtube won't work. No multi-task support still?? On a device this big????? Why can't I listen to Pandora as I write a text message?

Upgrade cycle. If they put everything into it from the start they wouldn't be able to refresh the line a couple of times a year. It's worked well with the iPod and iPhone so far.

RGSPro    1

But you guys... its MAGICAL! You can click on a link, and it brings up the webpage, the WHOLE webpage.

Hell-In-A-Handbasket    277

the stuff that alot ( including me ) think that the iPad SHOULD do, is along the lines of software, that the firmware updates provides, so a refresh wouldnt do anything other then the normal firmware upgrade the iPod Touch/iPad(Non-3G) would end up paying for as far as revenue.

Upgrade cycle. If they put everything into it from the start they wouldn't be able to refresh the line a couple of times a year. It's worked well with the iPod and iPhone so far.

Harreh    9

The video what was posted on the front page is so hilarious.. IT'S THE BEST!! ... THE BEST!!!

I was somewhat interested in this actually. I could use it as a journal, organiser, planner etc. It would be great BUT it's missing SO MUCH (eg multitasking). I'll wait untill thrid gen or something, see what it's up to then.

booboo    6

Can I just say, 99% of the people at my school are not techno minded, they find things cool or geeky (they have no idea I know stuff about computers, I like it like this). And everyone is in 2 minds, you have the 'yeaah it's really cool and I want one' or you have the 'its pretty cool but its huge and looks like an ipod'.

I think it will slowly kick off, one person will get one, another person sees how cool it is, then buys one, like a chain reaction. I know I'm buying one, cos if I buy one I get more friends, right?

DomZ    26

The iPad will 'fail' as much as the MacBook Air. As Richard said it will enjoy limited success but it won't take much away from netbooks or the wealth of tablet systems that are already succeeding on the market. Sorry Stevie.

I disagree. I don't think you can compare the two that much. The Macbook Air hasn't really got any room for development or improvement, and it literally targets a very small niche of people. The iPad targets people who want an eBook reader and people who want a casual multimedia/browsing experience on their couch - these aren't the same people who want a netbook or whatever which is why people automatically think its going to fail I think (see gizmodo's articles about the market Apple are targeting with the iPad).

In terms of potential (in the future), the iPad has massive amounts. Apple like to slowly make their products better and better, probably due to reasons of a combination of profit (selling more devices to the same people) as well as user experience/quality control (making sure what they do release just works). You look at the iPod and iPhone and they both started off fairly modest in terms of spec (the iPhone did have an awesome UI though). Ultimately the iPhone had glaring sets of limitations which other phones had (MMS, copy and paste, 3G!) and they slowly keep plugging away, adding to the software, releasing new revisions and the 4G iPhone will be close to perfect imo (I didn't bother upgading from 3G>3GS). Same can be said with iPod's evolution from a brick to a sleek touch screen multimedia player and browser. I've rambled on a bit, but I imagine revision 2 and 3 of the iPad as well as OS 4.0 will seriously change peoples opinions on the iPad in the future - I look forward to looking back at this post then!

The reason why the initial release of the ipod was said to fail was mainly because of the massive limitations that existed at the time. Namely, you need a mac 9 or 10.1 and firewire to sync. The problem was slightly addressed in 2002 with windows compability through musicmatch. But it wasn't until Apple fully embrace Windows in 2003/2004 with the release of itunes for windows and full sync through usb that ipod started selling well. The basic idea is that there were limitations like many first and second generation devices and they fixed it later on. So the success of the ipad will be defined on how they work on it from this day forward. 2nd, 3rd generation devices.

Exactly. I imagine sales of the iPad this year will be fairly modest (some analysts have them at about 3M, if they get that I'd say its a success based on the product they are offering atm).

ynnoj    23

Dunno about you, but to me $165m a month sounds like a pretty good revenue stream.

Agreed. But what we won't know what costs are involved.

Either way, it must generate a fairly substantial profit.

spenser.d    1,100

Of course it won't fail. Apple could s**t in a box and still manage to make bank :p

-Spenser

Subject Delta    108

Agreed. But what we won't know what costs are involved.

Either way, it must generate a fairly substantial profit.

Bandwidth costs maybe a couple of million a month, maybe a couple million more a month in employee and maintenence costs. I think it's fair to say they make a pretty tidy profit from it.