iPad will not fail

The Apple fanboys and girls will unfortunately make this a success, financially at least. Honestly, between the name and the device itself, I'm surprised it was approved...

Bandwidth costs maybe a couple of million a month, maybe a couple million more a month in employee and maintenence costs. I think it's fair to say they make a pretty tidy profit from it.

Again, I refer back to the previous link I posted. According to Apple, it's not a major revenue generator and it runs a little over 'break even'.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/01/26/app_store_wildly_successful_but_not_hugely_profitable_for_apple.html

I'm as surprised as you.

The Apple fanboys and girls will unfortunately make this a success, financially at least. Honestly, between the name and the device itself, I'm surprised it was approved...

No, what will make it a success is all the sisters, mothers, fathers, grandmothers, non-tech, too busy, who just want to surf the net and download email and watch some simple videos, people who want to pick up a device and a minute later without any bother be surfing the news sites, etc.

I'm amazed at so many supposed tech people not actually being able to understand the market this is aimed at, I'm amazed at the closed minds in here.

No, what will make it a success is all the sisters, mothers, fathers, grandmothers, non-tech, too busy, who just want to surf the net and download email and watch some simple videos, people who want to pick up a device and a minute later without any bother be surfing the news sites, etc.

I'm amazed at so many supposed tech people not actually being able to understand the market this is aimed at, I'm amazed at the closed minds in here.

A $300 netbook allows users to use the internet, documents, watch video, etc. It's $200 less than the...*cringes*...iPad <--horrible name. sisters, mothers, fathers, grandmothers, non-tech, too busy, etc. people all know how to use a computer, even the most basic functions. Many netbooks are coming equipped with 3G now-a-days, so really, all people are paying for is an oversized iPhone that's overpriced...IMHO.

Like it was said already:

As a device itself it's lacking some very basic things. How can Steve call it an internet device if you can see flash on a website?! Do you see a cellphone company bring a phone to the market without the option to send SMS?! Come on... if it wasnt funny it would have been sad.

The only reason that this thing will not fail is coz there are alot of crazy people around the world that would buy snow from Apple even if they live in Alaska. Those people worship Apple and the crazy small apple logo. They will pay for anything they can put their hands on if it has the apple logo. This is the ONLY reason why it wont fail in the market, as a device it's already failed!

The second version of the iPad, which I guess will come next year will probably be much better and with camera. I don't know why but every Apple product 2nd generation is always the one that success.

A $300 netbook allows users to use the internet, documents, watch video, etc. It's $200 less than the...*cringes*...iPad <--horrible name. sisters, mothers, fathers, grandmothers, non-tech, too busy, etc. people all know how to use a computer, even the most basic functions. Many netbooks are coming equipped with 3G now-a-days, so really, all people are paying for is an oversized iPhone that's overpriced...IMHO.

And how many of them get faults errors, system bugs, virius, must download this update etc, that for people who just want the net and email won't have to worry about. People all know how to use a computer? WOW, an Amazing statement, but also unfortunatly totally wrong and also a massive presumption that even if they know how to use a computer when all they want in the home is to suft the net and play some games they want to go to the hassle of a full system. Again as I said earlier, for some reason, people just don't get it, is due to being a apple device or just can't understand anything thats not running a windows system?

The second version of the iPad, which I guess will come next year will probably be much better and with camera. I don't know why but every Apple product 2nd generation is always the one that success.

cuz the 1st one is always the guineas pig, see how people will react and make revisions.

The only reason that this thing will not fail is coz there are alot of crazy people around the world that would buy snow from Apple even if they live in Alaska.

Lame response, put some effort into it.

Flash isn't the be all and end all, Flash has had its times, it was the range in 2000-2004, thankfully people realised what a waste of time it was. Its useful for videos.

cuz the 1st one is always the guineas pig, see how people will react and make revisions.

Just a way to "road test" the device and earn alot of money while testing it.

Flash isn't the be all and end all, Flash hasn't had its times, it was the range in 2000-now, thankfully people I realized what a waste of time it was I didn't need it. Its useful for videos and games.

You obviously don't know that most browser games are Flash, and they are still very popular?

Flash isn't the be all and end all, Flash has had its times, it was the range in 2000-2004, thankfully people realised what a waste of time it was. Its useful for videos.

Try playing an online game without having Flash and let me know how it goes..... :whistle:

Random question, what does bbc iPlayer use, would I be able to access it from a iPad.

it does use flash but i think they have a beta for iphone/touch so i think it should be o.k......

oh wow, I can't play a flash game online, I think I'll go kill myself right now.

You know, lots of people DO play flash game, the human species is not based around you.

You know, lots of people DO play flash game, the human species is not based around you.

That quote also goes for you, not everyone has a interest in playing flash games on the internet.

oh wow, I can't play a flash game online, I think I'll go kill myself right now.

Dont you think it's weird calling a device "an internet" device if you cant actually access some parts of the internet?

That quote also goes for you, not everyone has a interest in playing flash games on the internet.

Did I say that people don't? Wouldn't you rather a feature that you can turn off in something instead of limiting it?

What I don't get is why pay $500 when a $300 netbook can do more? Honestly, considering the size of the iPad just get an iPhone or similar smartphone/device. Hell, You can get an iPhone for what...$99 with a contract at AT&T and a $300 netbook and you have $100 in your pocket still.

And how many of them get faults errors, system bugs, virius, must download this update etc, that for people who just want the net and email won't have to worry about. People all know how to use a computer? WOW, an Amazing statement, but also unfortunatly totally wrong and also a massive presumption that even if they know how to use a computer when all they want in the home is to suft the net and play some games they want to go to the hassle of a full system. Again as I said earlier, for some reason, people just don't get it, is due to being a apple device or just can't understand anything thats not running a windows system?

Not many. Win 7 is awesome on a netbook. I got my daughter an HP mini 10 for Christmas with Win 7 and she has had zero issues. Its not a windows thing it is a price thing. Even $499 is steep when compared to $249 for a device that can do the same thing as the iPad and many other things it can not.

I feel like flash will come later, as customer demands it. It'll mainly be decided by how they use their iPad, and at this point I'm not sure anyone can predict that.

This insightful post on Gizmodo really explains why the iPad won't fail: http://gizmodo.com/5458531/the-ipad-is-the-gadget-we-never-knew-we-needed?skyline=true&s=i

This thing wont "fail" per se' I just do not think it is the game changer the iJobs thinks it will be. You have allot of iPod user that will see this as a logical update, it will have a place I just do not see it making as big an impact as predicted.