iPad will not fail

And how many of them get faults errors, system bugs, virius, must download this update etc, that for people who just want the net and email won't have to worry about. People all know how to use a computer? WOW, an Amazing statement, but also unfortunatly totally wrong and also a massive presumption that even if they know how to use a computer when all they want in the home is to suft the net and play some games they want to go to the hassle of a full system. Again as I said earlier, for some reason, people just don't get it, is due to being a apple device or just can't understand anything thats not running a windows system?

No, you don't get it. It's not about it being non-Windows. In my book, if the iPad were running OS X, I'd class it as being a computer, and as being useful.

I feel like flash will come later, as customer demands it. It'll mainly be decided by how they use their iPad, and at this point I'm not sure anyone can predict that.

I dont see it. Customers have been demanding it since the iPhone hit the market. Flash is a direct competitor to the iTunes store. Games, movies etc.... Apple wants you buying from them, not getting it free on the internet. They will dangle the carrot to keep everyone in line but you will never see it.

No, you don't get it. It's not about it being non-Windows. In my book, if the iPad were running OS X, I'd class it as being a computer, and as being useful.

You want OSX, theres the macbook.

It is useful that want a simple no hassle device that will surf, email, watch videos, play some games and read books.

Is said device really worth $499, or even $629 (if you want 3G, which is a big deal for most) when you can get something much more functional at that price though?

Is said device really worth $499, or even $629 (if you want 3G, which is a big deal for most) when you can get something much more functional at that price though?

That is too be seen. The cat is out of the bag and wont be available for 60 days. There are several other option hitting the market. It does not take a genius to hit the forums, see what everyone hates about the iPad and try and implement that into your device. I really want something like this but will not buy until I see what others have to offer and what a "real world" test of the iPad is done.

You want OSX, theres the macbook.

It is useful that want a simple no hassle device that will surf, email, watch videos, play some games and read books.

Macbooks are expensive. People want cheap.

All I'm saying is that the reasons you provided that one would use the iPad don't justify its price. If I spend $629 on something, I want it to be fully functional and not running a phone OS, just saying.

Macbooks are expensive. People want cheap.

People get what they want, people decide if its too much or not, not all people think the same.

All I'm saying is that the reasons you provided that one would use the iPad don't justify its price. If I spend $629 on something, I want it to be fully functional and not running a phone OS, just saying.

My parents surf the net and get emails, maybe view some photos, that is about it, a windows XP laptop, they have to have firewalls, virus checkers, various normal computer issues when things decide not to work.

Leaving price out of it, which is more suitable for their needs?

Lame response, put some effort into it.

Flash isn't the be all and end all, Flash has had its times, it was the range in 2000-2004, thankfully people realised what a waste of time it was. Its useful for videos.

As a Flash developer who has had to work with the unforgiving nature of the proprietary thing, I wholeheartedly disagree. I would like to defend Flash on this point.

Think about what Flash is, for a moment. It's just a runtime engine, programming environment, and hardware accelerated media display technology wrapped into a single package. I don't see people kicking and screaming about DirectX and the .NET Framework when it gets updated, and Flash is just a wrapper for a lot of media technologies but gets a ton of flak. Your experience has just been tainted by crappy ad banners, and CPU hogging video, and that is (almost) not entirely Adobe's fault, it's just poor utilization of the technology.

Also I go into Flash expecting it will take up a fair bit of memory and processing power. It's just like how I don't whine when I game puts my laptop into overdrive, it's just part of running a heavy graphics-intensive program. Flash is a media display technology, and media inherently takes up a lot of processing power.

Despite the fact I dislike the iPad, I strongly believe it will be a big success, why? marketing. Apple are a powerhouse when it comes to marketing, they can make the most mundane thing look like the best thing since sliced bread. Plus the iPad is an Apple product and it's shiny :p, doesn't matter how good/bad it is, it'll sell and sell well. This is just like when the iPhone first came out, everyone said it would fail and look at it now ;)

As a Flash developer who has had to work with the unforgiving nature of the proprietary thing, I wholeheartedly disagree. I would like to defend Flash on this point.

Think about what Flash is, for a moment. It's just a runtime engine, programming environment, and hardware accelerated media display technology wrapped into a single package. I don't see people kicking and screaming about DirectX and the .NET Framework when it gets updated, and Flash is just a wrapper for a lot of media technologies but gets a ton of flak. Your experience has just been tainted by crappy ad banners, and CPU hogging video, and that is (almost) not entirely Adobe's fault, it's just poor utilization of the technology.

Also I go into Flash expecting it will take up a fair bit of memory and processing power. It's just like how I don't whine when I game puts my laptop into overdrive, it's just part of running a heavy graphics-intensive program. Flash is a media display technology, and media inherently takes up a lot of processing power.

Adobe (formerly Macromedia) Flash (1996 - 2010) - You were a great technology for bringing cool and easy interactivity to many websites but sadly you unnecessarily and shamelessly ate up CPU resources like the Cookie Monster and the world needs something to replace your obsolete and oh so proprietary back-end. Rest in peace old friend!

Say hello to HTML5! :devil:

My wife just casually mentioned today that she wanted an iPad. I never dreamed that she had even heard of it. She said that "the girls" were talking at work today and they all wanted one and she learned about it from them. I have a feeling this thing is going to take off.

My wife just casually mentioned today that she wanted an iPad. I never dreamed that she had even heard of it. She said that "the girls" were talking at work today and they all wanted one and she learned about it from them. I have a feeling this thing is going to take off.

Unfortunately there are to many ignorant people (nothing personal against your wife and by ignorant i mean ignorant about the device and it's capabilities) and those are the people that will probably buy it (along with the apple freaks). The thing is that after they do buy i bet they will realize that it doesnt do everything that they wanted the thing to do. The "not techy" guy's/girls out there usually do use alot of Flash on the web to access games and other web apps and when they get to the point of "why the hell this website doesnt work" the word to mouth thing will start and less people will buy it...

Of course i maybe wrong but this is how i see it....

Unfortunately there are to many ignorant people (nothing personal against your wife and by ignorant i mean ignorant about the device and it's capabilities) and those are the people that will probably buy it (along with the apple freaks). The thing is that after they do buy i bet they will realize that it doesnt do everything that they wanted the thing to do. The "not techy" guy's/girls out there usually do use alot of Flash on the web to access games and other web apps and when they get to the point of "why the hell this website doesnt work" the word to mouth thing will start and less people will buy it...

Of course i maybe wrong but this is how i see it....

Just because you don't agree with what someone wants, it doesn't make them ignorant.

The "not techy" guy's/girls out there usually do use alot of Flash on the web to access games and other web apps and when they get to the point of "why the hell this website doesnt work"

:no:

Flash in the early 2000, was very widespread when people where playing with this new toy, I even played with myself, nowadays except for videos, games and ad banners the lack if it is hardly going to be the deal breaker you are attempting to make it out to be.

Nope my experience hasn't being tainted by crappy ads, my experience has being tainted by being a web developer who had a look at it many years and has realised its time has passed. It was a gimmick, the designers at the time got so carried away what they could do, they never stopped to question whether they should do it, there was a overload of flash and people got sick of it, which its flash intros that did nothing and just slowed the task dawn and wasted everyones time.

Nope my experience hasn't being tainted by crappy ads, my experience has being tainted by being a web developer who had a look at it many years and has realised its time has passed. It was a gimmick, the designers at the time got so carried away what they could do, they never stopped to question whether they should do it, there was a overload of flash and people got sick of it, which its flash intros that did nothing and just slowed the task dawn and wasted everyones time.

I'm glad you're not blaming the technology itself, which is actually quite brilliant and well put together, at least for what it does. What you're blaming is people abusing Flash.

And it makes sense to hate Flash for this reason, but to not give the option to use it, to enjoy content that's well though out and well presented in the Flash medium is just a bizarre move by Apple. Flash is a platform that gives unprecedented flexibility in a web context, and unprecedented flexibility will be abused by the wrong people.

If advertisers wanted to, I could see HTML 5 ads catching on. :)

Flash is a platform that gives unprecedented flexibility in a web context, and unprecedented flexibility will be abused by the wrong people.

erm, it also does the opposite aswell, it restricts due to need 3rd party plugins and being a resourse hog. After trying it out, I found out I much prefered looking at markup rather then timelines.

Its fairly to early to judge. Its not even on sale yet. No camera is a boomer to me :( No expandable storage? Another boomer :( and finally no flash. Anyway, we'll see how OS 4 works. Maybe there is a hope for flash :)

It's funny how only hardcore Apple fans think that Flash needs to die. Talk about influence.

This thing will sell to a certain set of consumers. The member who noted his wife wanted one is actually a good example. This thing is meant to be for non-tech savvy people. It's supposed to be a new market. It needs to take money from those who don't know better and like shiny Apple stuff, so they can make iPad 3GS or iPad 2 that will have these things, but those who want to be cool and have this shiny oversize iTouch will pay for it.

What's interesting is that it's a gamble really for Apple. I know that most everyone I read a response from that's even remotely tech savvy will not buy this. And why would you:

1. No multitasking

2. No full blown Safari browser but a crippled version that doesn't work with Flash etc

3. No Camera

4. No real OS that you can install apps you want but what you can buy on app store

5. No way to connect to TV

6. No 3G for cheaper models

7. More data plans and AT&T suckage

8. No expandable storage

9. No USB ports

10. 4:3 screen resolution

11. External keyboard that only works in vertical mode

etc

Will it be as popular as iPhone. IMO, no way. There's very little incentive for those with notebooks, netbooks, iphones, itouches etc to buy this but they don't have to. Wives and Apple diehards probably will buy it just to have it. They don't care about the issues here. So it will make Apple money.

The difference with iPod, iPhone is that they really revolutionized something in their fields. iPhone was a great allaround device, brought very smooth slick UI to a phone and allowed full blown ipod with video and audio in it and applications. It's very portable, fits in your pocket and makes calls. Perfect. iPod was the same way. It introduced something revolutionary.

In both cases people were really lusting after them. They wanted that gadget because it was something that you HAD to have.

iPad.. we don't really need to have. I know that this is the first time that I wasn't lusting after an Apple product. But maybe I'm not that target audience.

I can really see this is a good reading device when I'm no a toilet seat or in a plane, but to be honest for $500-$800 I'm not sure I wouldn't just use a laptop again or a netbook which is something I already have or costs like $300.

To leave you with a funny:

ipud.jpg

And how many of them get faults errors, system bugs, virius, must download this update etc, that for people who just want the net and email won't have to worry about. People all know how to use a computer? WOW, an Amazing statement, but also unfortunatly totally wrong and also a massive presumption that even if they know how to use a computer when all they want in the home is to suft the net and play some games they want to go to the hassle of a full system. Again as I said earlier, for some reason, people just don't get it, is due to being a apple device or just can't understand anything thats not running a windows system?

there are netbooks running practically instant-boot, extremely dumbed down linux distros precisely for the people you described... sending emails, watching videos, etc etc... you can do everything the ipad can do with them, but these netbooks came out 2 years ago, and are alot cheaper...

Don't forget about the iTune Store, Apple money cash cow. Apple does not want you to play Flash Games, you'll need to buy some in the store. You can't watch Hulu, buy series/movies on iTune and it goes on...

But one thing for sure, no cheap Netbook can surf the web correctly (try watching HD Youtube video), Flash intensive site run slow. If all you need is simple Web surfing (without Flash), email, Youtube, Photos, Music, Book reader and everything iApps, but on a bigger screen that will not hurt your eyes, the iPad is ideal.

Maybe some of you need a Webcam, but it's not universal, I never use it and my guess is I'm not the only one. I don't mind the screen format, it's never going to be my main movie watching device. See, my life would not depend on a iPad, as my desktop PC, laptop, PS3, HDTV can fill all the gap when needed.

For me, the iPad is a perfect sofa time waster while watching TV. The only thing I'd miss is external storage, a SD card slot could have been included. Paying WAY more for more storage is getting annoying.

Remember that everybody does not have the same needs as you. You don't like it, don't buy it.

This whole thing screams fail, right down to the name itself. Who wants something that sounds like a feminine hygiene product yet costs more than already available products?