iPad will not fail

GenBlood

In the start it's going to sell well, but in the long run they need to add the missing

features like .. multitasking .. flash .. camera. They will also need to drop the price

of all the models by $100 across the board.

I would wait 6 or 9 months and you will see them release it with a camera and

in pretty colors. An after that Jan of 2011 they will release it again with all the

missing features and it's going to be even cheaper too. So, you should just wait ...

Remember what happened with the iphone ... cost a lot ... a few months later it

got released again ... cheaper ... and then again .... a third release ... it was

even cheaper .... IMO wait ... a year ... Also, I can see a lot of heat issues

and display issues on the first release ...

If you have a iphone or itouch ... You are just wasting your money. MSI and HP

will be releasing a tablet in Q2 .. I plan on waiting to see what HP and MSI

have to offer ...

neufuse

Of course it won't fail, comon the iTv is still a product from Apple and look how well it did ha....

but I'm sorry, their headline on the apple site is "iPad... our most advanced technology" comon! it's NOTHING close to a c2d chip or even that advanced.... it's not even up to what tablet pc's where 5 years ago! sure Apple had an ok idea, but they failed at how the system will work... its once again a closed system... people want to get apps from more places then an App store, but Apple wants you to believe that is the only way

In the start it's going to sell well, but in the long run they need to add the missing

features like .. multitasking .. flash .. camera. They will also need to drop the price

of all the models by $100 across the board.

I would wait 6 or 9 months and you will see them release it with a camera and

in pretty colors. An after that Jan of 2011 they will release it again with all the

missing features and it's going to be even cheaper too. So, you should just wait ...

Remember what happened with the iphone ... cost a lot ... a few months later it

got released again ... cheaper ... and then again .... a third release ... it was

even cheaper .... IMO wait ... a year ... Also, I can see a lot of heat issues

and display issues on the first release ...

If you have a iphone or itouch ... You are just wasting your money. MSI and HP

will be releasing a tablet in Q2 .. I plan on waiting to see what HP and MSI

have to offer ...

HP released a full slate tablet 5yrs ago... I have the darn thing sitting right infront of me the good old Compaq/HP TC1100

carmatic

does anybody know what is the 1ghz processor that the ipad uses?

neufuse

does anybody know what is the 1ghz processor that the ipad uses?

It's the Apple A4 duh.... the most used processor in the world! ahem seriously Apple bought a chip company just to make their own processors...

RFrost

I read an article somewhere yesterday or the day before that pointed out how potentially popular the iPad will be with aging baby boomers who aren't as comfortable with today's tech as the younger set. I think based on this alone the iPad is going to pay huge dividends for Apple.

Edit - Here's the article from Gizmodo: http://gizmodo.com/5458855/the-apple-ipad-is-for-old-people

carmatic

I read an article somewhere yesterday or the day before that pointed out how potentially popular the iPad will be with aging baby boomers who aren't as comfortable with today's tech as the younger set. I think based on this alone the iPad is going to pay huge dividends for Apple.

thats what people said about the nintendo dsi xl too... theyre both enlarged touchscreen devices aimed at older people

.Ark

I think the iPad will fail due to the lack of a camera, full OS and multi-tasking.. I mean come on! Throw a 2 ghz processor in there and snow leopard and making money with this thing will be childs play. They can always sell iPad specific apps via the iTunes store.

zagor

http://digg.com/apple/Why_the_iPod_will_fail_a_MacRumors_forum_thread_from_2001

We have an article on the main page saying the iPad will fail, but keep in mind almost everything that was released there was always speculation that the product will fail miserably.

Look at that link and see for yourself on a bunch of pages people saying they wont pay $300-400 for just an mp3 player, etc and obviously you're well aware of how successful it really is now

I just think its useless to argue about if a product will fail. In many things it's obvious such as that Sarcasm mark (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/6995354/Sarcasm-punctuation-mark-aims-to-put-an-end-to-email-confusion.html) anyways i think its just a waste of time to argue if it will fail, lets just wait and see how it'll do, failure isnt even viable for apple...and im a pure windows guy. a product will only fail in my opinion if something is wrong with it or is useless, both of things do not apply to the iPad (could possibly have a manuf defect but doubt?)

What do you think? Won't it just succeed? Is it a waste of time to speculate "failure" sounds like something people do to get user participation/hits on websites etc.

Just because Ipod was a success, and at the time of launch people predicted it will fail, does not translate in to Ipad's success. There are several examples where Apple failed miserably.

I only hope that other companies will come up with better alternatives.

Dysphoria

Here is one article from the Boston University press:

http://www.bu.edu/today/node/10252

There is absolutely some advantage in being able to purchase all of your text books for the fraction of price and store them all on a device that is very light and mobile...

Dysphoria

I think the iPad will fail due to the lack of a camera, full OS and multi-tasking.. I mean come on! Throw a 2 ghz processor in there and snow leopard and making money with this thing will be childs play. They can always sell iPad specific apps via the iTunes store.

The multitasking will be enabled with the next updte of the OS. It's well known that the ARM CPU included in the A4 is a multi process cpu.

Also this is device mostly designed for reading books, surfing the net and watching movies. For playing crysis I have my 3.5GHz Quad Core 4870 x2 Crossfire Desktop PC.

I'll rather go for 10 hours battery life and a small and light e-reader, rather than another camera device with 2GHz CPU that will drain your battery in couple of hours.

The only down side I see is the lack of Flash support and I realy hope they resolve this in the next OS update.

Cheers

Subject Delta

The second version of the iPad, which I guess will come next year will probably be much better and with camera. I don't know why but every Apple product 2nd generation is always the one that success.

It's called marketing, it's Apple's way of exploiting their loyal fanbase. They release an initial product knowing that hordes of people will be all over it because it has an Apple logo, and they deliberately release it lacking a few features. When the next generation comes out with the features that the first was lacking, people will want upgrades. It's a great way of making money off customer loyalty. Despiccable but clever.

drshdw

I hate netbooks. Such a small screen running a full OS, everything is squished. Tiny ass keyboard and horrible trackpads make them a pain to use for me. The iPad will be fine once the new OS comes out, blah blah. Also I'd never pay $200-500 for just a e-reader, that's ridiculous..

Dysphoria

Also I'd never pay $200-500 for just a e-reader, that's ridiculous..

Yes thats the kindle you are talking about, and Amazon already sold few million kindles. This is a bit more than just an e-reader, you can view and edit photos, view movies, create and view documents and presentations, surf the net and that is for only $10 more than the Amazon Kindle

If a new OS enables Flash and Multiprocessing, without forcing owners to purchase a new device, then I think they'll have a winner.

I will wait till end of summer and see what happens before I make any decision on purchasing one.... Also new Iphone is coming by end of summer and also Android is coming on the new HTC, so it will be interesting to see what we get...

V-Tech

I have to say that personally i dont have anything against Apple. I have an iPod at home (the old one 80GB) and i used it alot in the day. I did buy the first iPhone and used it for around 3 years and i did enjoy it.

I really done lick the Apple computers, i'm not saying that they are not good or anything but personally i dont like them.

When i was waiting to see the Ipad i told myself that if it will be different from the iPhone/Touch (meaning not just being a giant Ipod Touch), if it will have flash on it, if it will have multitasking and if it will cost around the $400 i will seriously think of buying one. I fly alot and i move around alot, sometimes just for 24/48 hours and now always i want to take my laptop with me (Brand new Sony Vaio NW Series that cost me $700 2 months ago, cheaper than the 32GB 3G Ipad) and this would be a very good thing for me.

But, again Apple made a closed system and without even the smalles bit of shame called it an Internet Device when you really cant do alot of the stuff the internet has to offer you.

I already said id before in here but i'll say it again. The device it self (at least the first version now) has failed already as a device. In sales like always Apple devices dont fail. There are always those people that will buy them (even when most of them know that in few months there will be a new, better and cheaper version of this device).

BTW: I have a strong feeling that google will make something like this not long from now and for sure it will be a better device.

Draconian Guppy

We should make a poll of a simple yes or no :p

Petvas

The iPad is a major disappointment because it lacks many important features:

* No Desktop OS

* No real File System support

* No printing support

* No Multitasking

* It doesn't offer any real computing

* It doesn't have a real market and tries to create a new one. The problem is that I cannot imagine many usage scenarios for it. You cannot really use it as a phone, so the phone goes always with you. Now, many people have also a netbook or laptop with them, but they wouldn't carry a third device with them. They would look for a better alternative to their netbook/laptop. Where does the iPad fit with its many limitations?

* No MS Office support. You have to be kidding us Apple...

* No VGA Output to connect to a beamer or external monitors...

* No Camera for Video Chatting

* No real Internet

* Supports only H.264 videos, just like the iPhone...

At its current state I can only see the following target groups for the iPad:

* Rich people who don't have anything better to do. I would suggest they donate this money to Haiti...

* I can imagine seeing iPads in movies doing things that are of course not possible, just because it looks cool.

* Idiots who are caught in the Apple lies

* People that never used a computer before and think that this is a "computer"

* Idiots..Did I mention it?

* Mac Fanboys...

• Like 1
V-Tech

* Rich people who don't have anything better to do. I would suggest they donate this money to Haiti...

* I can imagine seeing iPads in movies doing things that are of course not possible, just because it looks cool.

* Mac Fanboys...

BINGO!!

Dysphoria

* Mac Fanboys...

Not to start any flame wars but just looking at your meaningful comment, I can say that it is you sir that is the real idiot.

Cheers

Petvas

Not to start any flame wars but just looking at your meaningful comment, I can say that it is you sir that is the real idiot.

Cheers

Sorry to hurt your feelings but the Truth can hurt...Now, who is the idiot here?

I hope you enjoy your new toy...

Dysphoria

Sorry to hurt your feelings but the Truth can hurt...Now, who is the idiot here?

I hope you enjoy your new toy...

Dont be such a kid... I havent purchased anything. The iPad is not out for sale for another 60days.

There is a niche market that this product covers, including student and older people who dont need a full fledged PC to suref the net or read some books.

Calling this group of people idiots makes you a bigger one....

Go and troll somewhere else

KeR

I am pretty sure even the nay sayers deep down know that the iPad will not fail, especially once the RevB version of the product comes out.

Redestium

It won't fail, but it will take time to catch on and a few hardware/software revisions. Right now it has problems but over time it will improve and people will start coming up with uses for the form factor. No way I'd buy one of these right now though. I'm much more interested in the Dell Mini 5 http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/29/michael-dell-pulls-mini-5-android-tablet-from-his-parka-offers/

Dysphoria

I wish neowin can place an ignore option in the forums so you can filter out all the trolls

Cheers

Petvas

I wish neowin can place an ignore option in the forums so you can filter out all the trolls

Cheers

Yes I agree. They should also expell everyone that insults other directly as you did! I am stopping now answering to your comments. You are not worth my time.

Dysphoria

It won't fail, but it will take time to catch on and a few hardware/software revisions. Right now it has problems but over time it will improve and people will start coming up with uses for the form factor. No way I'd buy one of these right now though. I'm much more interested in the Dell Mini 5 http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/29/michael-dell-pulls-mini-5-android-tablet-from-his-parka-offers/

Yeah, that looks promising. I hope Google sorts out some of the bugs introduced in Android 2.1, but Dell is going in the right direction increasing their product line.