iPad will not fail

The iPad is a major disappointment because it lacks many important features:

* No Desktop OS

* No real File System support

* No printing support

* No Multitasking

* It doesn't offer any real computing

* It doesn't have a real market and tries to create a new one. The problem is that I cannot imagine many usage scenarios for it. You cannot really use it as a phone, so the phone goes always with you. Now, many people have also a netbook or laptop with them, but they wouldn't carry a third device with them. They would look for a better alternative to their netbook/laptop. Where does the iPad fit with its many limitations?

* No MS Office support. You have to be kidding us Apple...

* No VGA Output to connect to a beamer or external monitors...

* No Camera for Video Chatting

* No real Internet

* Supports only H.264 videos, just like the iPhone...

At its current state I can only see the following target groups for the iPad:

* Rich people who don't have anything better to do. I would suggest they donate this money to Haiti...

* I can imagine seeing iPads in movies doing things that are of course not possible, just because it looks cool.

* Idiots who are caught in the Apple lies

* People that never used a computer before and think that this is a "computer"

* Idiots..Did I mention it?

* Mac Fanboys...

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/01/29/apple_to_target_ipad_at_business_users_through_new_features_sources.html

H.264 is the new standard btw..

Hopefully software wise there will be a big change by 4.0.

I wish neowin can place an ignore option in the forums so you can filter out all the trolls

Cheers

There is, it's called an ignore button.

People get what they want, people decide if its too much or not, not all people think the same.

My parents surf the net and get emails, maybe view some photos, that is about it, a windows XP laptop, they have to have firewalls, virus checkers, various normal computer issues when things decide not to work.

Leaving price out of it, which is more suitable for their needs?

That is the problem with most Apple evangelist arguments, consumeres rarely leave price out of it, and whether you like it or not price does matter. Really, you'd have to be nuts to buy an iPad when you can buy something like a netbook that both has more functionality, and costs less

H.264 is the new standard btw..

Hopefully software wise there will be a big change by 4.0.

Don't take it personal but Apple has no chance in the Enterprise. Apple doesn't understand the needs of Enterprise customers. Yes, they are trying to improve there but the truth is they have no idea what big customers need. Appleinsider writes that they are pushing iWork as the answer to MS Office compatibility...That is the time when 99,9% of all CIO's would throw the Apple consultant ouf the door...

I know how business customers thing and want. I have been working with enterprise customers since 1996 designing and implementing Microsoft Exchange and other related technologies and I know how it is... The iPad is a nice toy. I would love to have one but I cannot find a real use for it.

The Apple haters are just as humorous as the Apple fanboys.,The haters want Apple to fail at all costs while the fanboys want Apple to succeed at all costs.

I do not hate Apple as a company. I believe that most of their products are really great for the majority of consumers that can afford them. I believe that power users should stay away of Apple because of the many limitations imposed by Apple. I have used and owned many Apple products and I loved them till the day came where I got Apple fatique. I was frustrated by their limitations. When my friends asks me what computer they should get, I almost always tell them to get a Mac, especially if they do not have good computer skills, even if I believe that Windows 7 is the best OS.

I wish people would stop banging on about the lack of Flash. Honestly, what were you expecting? We've had the Flash-less iPhone for almost 3 years now. If Flash was going to make an appearance in an Apple mobile device, it would have by now.

Apple, along with Google, are on the HTML5 bandwagon. Don't expect to see Flash in any of Apple's current or future iPhone OS powered devices.

FYI, Vimeo has joined YouTube and is now supporting HTML5 content. We can only hope the momentum continues.

http://mashable.com/...o-html5-player/

It wont fail because I believe there's a space it can fill in.

I was more excited with HP's slate, though. But I think its harder to input text in Windows than in the big-sized iPhone OS, so maybe Apple's entry to this area of the market isn't a failure. I'm specially interested in the iWork programs because they look really capable, if you've seen the keynote you know what I mean. Heading styles, Templates, Spreadsheet formulas, Advanced text and image positioning, "Magic move", it's all there.

That office suite alone would make me buy it, considering it does everything the PC version does. And it has the perfect form factor for office work...

Future will tell.

His 6th finger caught me off guard.

Ooh damn... what the hell was that.... I did not notice it before, since I am at work and was kind of looking back and forth on my two different screens, but now that you mentioned it.... wow!

That Dell phone looks rather smart - wouldn't mind trying that thing out!

Back to the iPad...

I don't understand why it doesn't run OS X, it would make much more sense. But as is has the Apple logo on it, it will sell very well!!

Ooh damn... what the hell was that.... I did not notice it before, since I am at work and was kind of looking back and forth on my two different screens, but now that you mentioned it.... wow!

LOL SCREW THE FREAKING DELL TABLET.. THAT GUY HAS 6 FINGERS!

That Dell phone looks rather smart - wouldn't mind trying that thing out!

Back to the iPad...

I don't understand why it doesn't run OS X, it would make much more sense. But as is has the Apple logo on it, it will sell very well!!

I think they tried to use the same user interface that it already works quite well on the iPhone/iTouch and is not as CPU intensive as the full blown MacOs X. Plus they have thousands of apps they can use. I think for $499 is probably not that bad... Look at the $489 kindle, what does that offer to you that you can justify that price.

I think most of the people were expecting a full PC capable tablet, which is not the case, hence the long battery life, thin design, and lower price.

It won't fail, but it will take time to catch on and a few hardware/software revisions. Right now it has problems but over time it will improve and people will start coming up with uses for the form factor. No way I'd buy one of these right now though. I'm much more interested in the Dell Mini 5 http://www.engadget....s-parka-offers/

This is a sick device I'd rather own than iPad to be honest

ICDVega01.png

ICDVega02.png

This thing is a powerhouse and everything iPad should have been:

Android 2.0 Eclair

15.6" Touchscreen

NVIDIA Tegra

512 DDR / 512 NAND

32GB Internal SD

1.3 MP Web Cam

Micro SD (EXPANDABLE MEMORY - ****ING YEAH)

Bluetooth 2.1

Wireless 802.11 b/g

USB 2.0

2g/3g Data

Cellular

3.5mm Audio Jack

Magnetic Docking

Tablet/Dock Charging

Accelerometer

Ambient light sensor

FM Radio

Dual digital microphones

Just heard a rumor that Apple will be releasing a new product soon. It's going to be a smaller version of the iTampon but will include additional features. One of which is rumoured to be some sort of voice communication. It currently has two possible names, the iFondle and the iOral.

Seriously, why would somebody buy an oversized iPod Touch @499 when they can get something like the ASUS T91MT? There is just too much wrong with the ipad. Maybe gen2 will see it become a decent product but by then it's going to have a lot of competition.

I think they tried to use the same user interface that it already works quite well on the iPhone/iTouch and is not as CPU intensive as the full blown MacOs X. Plus they have thousands of apps they can use. I think for $499 is probably not that bad... Look at the $489 kindle, what does that offer to you that you can justify that price.

I think most of the people were expecting a full PC capable tablet, which is not the case, hence the long battery life, thin design, and lower price.

Actually, it probably comes down to the fact that iPhone OS was designed from the start for Multi-Touch, while Mac OS X was designed to used with a keyboard and mouse.

That's not to say there aren't touch-friendly technologies in Mac OS X like Inkwell that could have worked nicely (read: ModBook), but I think that Apple wanted a device out sooner rather than later, and to rewrite nearly all of Mac OS X to be multi-touch friendly would have moved such a product into April 2011 territory rather than April 2010.

I think, really, we'll have to see what developers do with the newly expanded SDK. I mean, IF developers can turn former iPhone apps into fully-fledged software suites on the iPad, then not having Mac OS X won't be such the bottleneck it appears to be now.

I'm a little late to this thread, but let me post what I've been thinking now that the announcements are a few days past.

Apple has more money than they can even think to use, just sitting in the bank, waiting to be used. The iPad, while largely disliked as it was announced, will sell enough units to be considered "successful" by just about any company in the world. Will it sell typical Apple numbers? Probably not, but plenty of people will buy one still. The biggest thing I see this being is a stepping stone in a couple of ways.

This gets the Apple A4 CPU out there and in the hands of people. If there are issues, they'll surely turn up quickly. It lets them see how well it scales for all the different people in the world, and what opinions are on it. Then, they can take that processor and put it in the iPhone and iPod, a much more widely used product. If they just threw the A4 in an iPhone first, and it had issues, you'd have a LOT of upset customers. Putting them in the iPad first gives them a much smaller customer base to deal with.

Not only that, but what future does the iPad have? Could Apple make something useful out of it? Personally I tend to think of tablets as very task specific devices. They don't make good general computers right now, so it's hard to sell them to the general public. However, could the future of computing be in a tablet you can carry around with you, and throw into a keyboard dock when you need to type? It's very possible. I'm honestly surprised that Apple didn't try for this as a home run hit for the tablet. Make it full OS X that you can carry around or dock when you need to type something bigger. If they'd done that, I could honestly see it being useful for a lot of people, but perhaps they wanted to test some technology out before they went that far. Once something fails it's hard to rebuild it's image, so if it wasn't powerful enough and thin enough, people wouldn't like it as a fully functional tablet computer.

So my thoughts? I think this first generation iPad is completely pointless for anyone who has an iPhone/iPod and laptop. It doesn't really do anything that most people would consider worth paying that much for, when you can do everything the same on those two devices. I do, however, see it as a good pilot platform for the tablet and Apple's custom silicon, and with Apple's money, do you really think they care if it's a failure or not?

and with Apple's money, do you really think they care if it's a failure or not?

Of course they care. Why waste money on a failed project if you didn't have to?

The iPad will succeed because it is the best mobile entertainement device (it's not netbook to tablet).

How can you say this knowing the device lacks Flash and having not even used it yet?

Of course they care. Why waste money on a failed project if you didn't have to?

Because, like I said, this product won't actually fail in that sense. It will still sell enough to be consider a successful product by nearly any company in the world. It won't sell iPhone like numbers, but they are going to sell more than a few hundred of them, ya know?

And honestly, I don't think that Apple really would care, with the billions they have in the bank, if they tossed out a few million on a product that wasn't incredibly successful as long as it helped them test key technology for future products like iPhones and iPods which are incredibly successful. As I said, if they threw their own processor in an iPhone, which sells over a million on it's first day, and it has issues, that's a LOT of people to deal with. If they have issues in the iPad, which might sell that many total in it's entire lifetime, that's a lot fewer people to deal with while fixing the issues.