2010 Winter Olympics

Maybe not but French and English are the official languages of the Olympic Games.

Not to mention the official languages of CANADA. I'm pretty sure BC and the prairies are part of Canada... Hell, the Metis were one of the four core First Nations, and have French heritage. This is why I laugh when westerners call Ontarians elitists, haha.

The US Coverage of these games is absolutely horrible already. The games started last night and with competition starting today. NBC only has coverage starting at 2:30pm. I just wish there was a dedicated channel where you could watch every event.... live.

Pretty cool ceremonies, my fav part is always when all the countries walk out with their athletes and their flags!!

I got a little bored with some of the acts, but I'm glad to hear people around the world liked it! Man I can't wait for the partying in Vancouver for the next couple weeks, and a lot of the venues are free too!! :)

The US Coverage of these games is absolutely horrible already. The games started last night and with competition starting today. NBC only has coverage starting at 2:30pm. I just wish there was a dedicated channel where you could watch every event.... live.

They might have other coverage it on their cable television channels like they did for the Summer games. They should use a sub channel or two (x.2, x.3) for the games since we moved to digital TV.

Its bad that you have to log into your "cable, satellite or IPTV provider." to view the live stream online on nbcolympics.com.

People should try if they can get onto CTV.ca and stream stuff. It doesn't match the coverage the CBC usually gives, but no major complaints.

And it's a shame the protests are turning violent. I was sympathetic with their cause to begin with (I have many friends hardcore into it), however these riots have made a lot of people lose respect for them. And they wonder why Vancouver spent so much on security. Bah.

I loved the information given at the bottom when the athletes parade out for their countries. For example:

[Flag] Georgia

Athletes: (9) (8)

Overall, however, the ceremonies were a bore and had little to no representation of anything Canadian. Wayne Gretzky was the only person to keep my interest.

both Dish Network and DirecTV have channels dedicated to Olympic coverage. BellTV [in Canada] also has channels for Olympic coverage

Pretty cool ceremonies, my fav part is always when all the countries walk out with their athletes and their flags!!

I got a little bored with some of the acts, but I'm glad to hear people around the world liked it! Man I can't wait for the partying in Vancouver for the next couple weeks, and a lot of the venues are free too!! :)

why im going to van next week for 5 days :)

deadmau5 and sam roberts :)

People should try if they can get onto CTV.ca and stream stuff. It doesn't match the coverage the CBC usually gives, but no major complaints.

And it's a shame the protests are turning violent. I was sympathetic with their cause to begin with (I have many friends hardcore into it), however these riots have made a lot of people lose respect for them. And they wonder why Vancouver spent so much on security. Bah.

spending just under a billion in security is a little ecessive...

Georgia's PM critical of luge officials

Georgia's Prime Minster Mikhail Saakashivili told reporters Saturday that luge officials should have listened to the concerns of athletes about the speed of the Whistler Sliding Centre track.

Saakashivili also revealled that Nodar Kumaritashvili, the Georgian luger who died after a horrific crash during training, called his parents before his run and told them "they would be proud of him". The country will build a luge track in his honour.

The prime minister would not say construction of the Whistler track was negligent but wondered how a "human error" could lead to the death of an athlete.

The luge federation said late Friday that the crash was Kumaritashvili's fault and that the track was safe.

Athletes returned to training Saturday and are scheduled to compete in the men's singles Sunday night.

The start was moved further down the track, the wall was raised where Kumaritashvili died, but countryman Levan Gureshidze chose not to take part in the first luge training runs since Friday's tragic event.

According to an InterpressNews report, Gureshidze, 21, has withdrawn from the 2010 Olympics. The International Luge Federation said Gureshidze's name is still in the draw, which means he could compete later today in the opening runs of the men's luge event.

Gureshidze along with along with Ruben Gonzalez from Argentina and Valentin Cretu from Romania passed on training on a track luge officials altered slightly to increase safety while addressing the damaged psyche of a shaken luge community.

FIL and VANOC officials announced the men would begin racing from the lower women's start and that the wall where Kumaritashvili crashed after flying off the track at a speed of close to 144 kilometres per hour would be raised. The ice profile was also altered so the athletes and their sleds would be pushed to the middle of the track.

"These changes were done to ensure the athletes get there in a positive way," said FIL secretary general Sven Romstad of the U.S. "Their friend died on that track."

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/news-centre/newsid=40313.html?cid=rsstsn

they altered the track...

|more

Anyone having issues watching video on either nbcolympics.com or ctvolympics.ca? I try to watch a video and it tells me there was an application error and that the video player failed to launch. It happens on both sites and I've tried on multiple computers. Just so happens that both sites are using Silverlight which I do have installed.

What was with all the natives on show at the opening ceremony? What about the rest of the canadians?

Thing is with Canada, we don't have a unique, pinpoint-able culture. And although we became our own country, British dominance still had a strong effect well into shortly before World War 2. Before Confederation, it was essentially British and French colonialism, as well as various other European natures. Why would we want to celebrate British and French heritage? In the end, the only thing we hold for ourselves is the First Nations history. It's rather depressing that is all we have to offer, especially since the bulk of the country easily does not identify with it. Same with the whole "wide open" aspect people think of for Canada, whereas most of us live in urban areas. It's amusing the hypocrisies and false truths Canadians identify themselves with.

EDIT: Hey musicman, CTV works perfectly for me, and I'm region blocked from NBC. I'm using Firefox 3.7a1.

EDIT: Hey musicman, CTV works perfectly for me, and I'm region blocked from NBC. I'm using Firefox 3.7a1.

Ok, may be an issue with my Silverlight. I'm in the US so NBC should work. As for CTV I'm going through a proxy so it should be working. But it's the same error so it has to be Silverlight related.

Final score is in. Canada destroyed Slovakia 18-0 in women hockey.

I'm anxiously waiting for the men's game next Sunday versus the US. Everyone I know will be glued to a TV, haha.