SCEE: Heavy Rain is

Instead of how say ME/Fallout does it's interactions, every stops, camera zooms in on faces and you select a/b/c.

but like, i dont like it when the action stops like in the V.A.T.S in Fallout 3 ... i like it to be in realtime, and yeah i guess trying to simulate humans is going to be abit daunting....

but just imagine, every single button press, at any single moment, will trigger an action from your character... every single button on the controller will be mapped to some AI function built into your character, and the experience is wholly independent of pressing buttons when you are supposed to press them... and depending on the state of mind your character is supposed to have, the AI will do different things for the same button pressed.... like if he's in a bad mood, pressing circle will make him throw a punch, and if you happen to be in front of something breakable, you will smash it, etc....

it is something like the AI from Lionhead Studio's "Black And White"

now if that doesnt form a bond between player and character, to put the player in the character's shoes, i dont know what will....

but all im saying is, yeah, the whole game does really look like its got too much QTE in it, gamers nowadays have come to expect instant gratification for their efforts of pressing their controller buttons...

but like, i dont like it when the action stops like in the V.A.T.S in Fallout 3 ... i like it to be in realtime, and yeah i guess trying to simulate humans is going to be abit daunting....

but just imagine, every single button press, at any single moment, will trigger an action from your character... every single button on the controller will be mapped to some AI function built into your character, and the experience is wholly independent of pressing buttons when you are supposed to press them... and depending on the state of mind your character is supposed to have, the AI will do different things for the same button pressed.... like if he's in a bad mood, pressing circle will make him throw a punch, and if you happen to be in front of something breakable, you will smash it, etc....

it is something like the AI from Lionhead Studio's "Black And White"

now if that doesnt form a bond between player and character, to put the player in the character's shoes, i dont know what will....

but all im saying is, yeah, the whole game does really look like its got too much QTE in it, gamers nowadays have come to expect instant gratification for their efforts of pressing their controller buttons...

You're basically asking for complete control over the whole world with every item having a context sensitive input? :blink: Um, mate, we're no where near ready for that kind of complexity.

This is a story driven game with branching paths, it's main focus is story and it wants you to enjoy that, not be cumbered by having to guess what the hell you can interact with.

And again, people completely misunderstanding the difference between QTE and what's in Heavy Rain. There is no failure in Heavy Rain, there is no reload, no try again, nothing you do will bring up an end game screen, the only time the game ends is when you reach your logical ending to your story.

gamers nowadays have come to expect instant gratification for their efforts of pressing their controller buttons...

Well that's tough if you want XP bars dinging off, and messages popping up to say you've levelled up, this is not that type of game, so people just need to stay clear if they can't engage themselves in a story based game.

There is no failure in Heavy Rain, there is no reload, no try again, nothing you do will bring up an end game screen, the only time the game ends is when you reach your logical ending to your story.

I just wet my pants.

I just wet my pants.

lol, you didn't know that?

That's what Cage keeps stressing every time people call this a QTE fest.

The way things play out are needed for the cinematic experience, but failing inputs doesn't end the game, usually there's leeway in how many inputs you fail, it'll just put your character in more danger, but you can recover... but of course you can fail them all on purpose just to see the consequences :p

All 4 characters can die and the game concludes it's story at that point, and by conclude I don't mean it says try again, better luck next time, it actually ends as any game would end, with a conclusion.

20 or something endings there are I believe.

You're basically asking for complete control over the whole world with every item having a context sensitive input? :blink: Um, mate, we're no where near ready for that kind of complexity.

not complete control over the whole world, but as far as development time and processing power would allow...within limits, in other words

also, the world would seem to be in your complete control if it werent for the context sensitive icons telling you exactly what you could do... you wont have complete control over the world, but it wont be obvious to you

not complete control over the whole world, but as far as development time and processing power would allow...within limits, in other words

also, the world would seem to be in your complete control if it werent for the context sensitive icons telling you exactly what you could do... you wont have complete control over the world, but it wont be obvious to you

And you think that's a great idea in a story driven game that's purposely setup to try and progress at a believable pace?

All it would do would cause people to run around in circles frustrated at not being able to progress because they wouldn't know what to do next. This is an evolution of point and click, not a 1:1 replica (getting stuck in point and click adventure games was VERY frustrating and time consuming at times).

This is an evolution of point and click, not a 1:1 replica (getting stuck in point and click adventure games was VERY frustrating and time consuming at times).

what im saying is that Heavy Rain could have evolved in a better, icon-less way

if my system was set up properly, it would have the context simplicity of Zork because the camera effects would obscure everything else in the world other than items which would have been mentioned in a text based adventure game

I'm thinking of pre-ordering, wait to tryout the demo first.

I usually never pre-order and wait a few months for a price drop, that's how excited I am about this.

what im saying is that Heavy Rain could have evolved in a better, icon-less way

if my system was set up properly, it would have the context simplicity of Zork because the camera effects would obscure everything else in the world other than items which would have been mentioned in a text based adventure game

We'll have to agree to disagree.

This isn't a texture based adventure game and for a game shelving itself in an obscure enough gaming "genre", user friendliness is a must to even try and get people to buy it.