Is the Sony BDP-S360 a good, stable Blu-ray player?

DaDude

My Samsung BD-P1600 has proven itself to be unreliable. Not only that, but the new firmware updates for it have more issues than the older ones. The fact that I can?t even update my player because Samsung can?t quality control their firmware is just plain ridiculous and I?ve had it.

I?ve now decided to go and buy the Sony BDP-S360 to replace it. So, my question is: Is this a stable Blu-ray player? Meaning?.will it play EVERY Blu-ray disc I throw in it flawlessly without any hiccups or freezes? I don?t care about any extra steaming, online stuff, etc. The ONLY thing I care about is stability. That?s it!

Anyone who owns this player and uses it very frequently, I?d great appreciate any input you have on this unit. I?m hoping to make my purchase sometime today before Amazon raises the price on it. So, the sooner I can get input on this the better.

Thanks!

jerzdawg

Obviously you have read through the Amazon reviews, but check out http://www.blu-ray.com/products/?p=117&show=userreviews

From my experience the reviews at this site are done by "above-average" users, so you get a good mix of your average joe reviewing on Amazon and maybe a more experienced users on Blu-ray.com

Best of luck with your new player.

DaDude

Thanks. The reviews on Blu-ray.com are also good. I don?t see any reviews about any hiccups, freezing, etc.

The only complaint I see is No Eject Button. But that doesn?t matter. As long as it?s stable, I?ll be happy.

I just ordered it at Amazon now. Only $118. I?ll try it out for 30 days and if it works the way it should, I?ll sell my Samsung player on Ebay and get a little money back.

jerzdawg

Thanks. The reviews on Blu-ray.com are also good. I don?t see any reviews about any hiccups, freezing, etc.

The only complaint I see is No Eject Button. But that doesn?t matter. As long as it?s stable, I?ll be happy.

I just ordered it at Amazon now. Only $118. I?ll try it out for 30 days and if it works the way it should, I?ll sell my Samsung player on Ebay and get a little money back.

Yea, I read through a bunch of reviews and nothing stood out as a problem (1 guy had an issue with a firmware update) but overall it seems like a good player at an even better price. Be sure to post a review of some sorts after youve had a chance to test it out.

bangbang023

I just told my girlfriend about this thread lol. I let her know she's right in saying no one ever listens to me.

Sony seems to be a popular model, though, and it's not returned as often in my store. We have a functional display of it and besides being a little slow to turn on, it's been rock solid playing 12 hours a day for over 6 months now.

DaDude

Thanks bangbang. Glad to hear I?ve made the right choice THIS time. If it?s a little slow, I don?t care. As long as it can play the darn BDs, I?m good. The Samsung player boots up rather fast, but look where I am! I?d take a slow, stable player over a fast, unstable one anyday.

And it?s not that I don?t listen to you?.I actually never asked for any advice when I purchased the BD-P1600. I went with a Samsung player because many Neowin members were proud owners of the BD-P1500 (the older model) and they all love it. I figured the 1600 would be the same, if not better. Boy, was I wrong!

Like I said in my original post?what disgusts me about Samsung is the fact that they?re making the player worse instead of better when they release firmware upgrades. So, I conclude that Samsung either doesn?t give a flying hoo ha about their customers or their techs just don?t know what the heck they?re doing. Every player I?ve research has improved when their firmware has been updated. Samsung is the only kind of BD player that?s the opposite.

bangbang023

Samsung scares me with their firmware handling, recently. Read up on the firmware horrors of their Blu-ray HTIB's (namely, the 1250 model). Not one, but something like two (maybe three) consecutive updates that they offered wound up bricking any unit that they were applied to.

• Like 2
DaDude

Whoa! Can you believe it? I used Free Shipping and Amazon already shipped my package and is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. What service! I?m really looking forward to this unit. I?ve been posting on several other forums as well and everyone has nothing but great things to say about this player. I finally can watch Blu-ray without having to cringe and worry about whether or not a hiccup will occur.

Also, I hope the Sony is good in reading scratched discs. One thing I definitely give my Samsung player credit for is that it was able to play certain scratched Netflix discs without a problem. Hopefully, the Sony will perform the same way, if not better.

Huleboeren

How much are standalone blu-ray players compared to PS3s todaY?

jerzdawg

How much are standalone blu-ray players compared to PS3s todaY?

Well.. the Sony model being referred to in this thread is selling on Amazon @ $118, so compared to a $300 PS3 - its $182 less.

DaDude

The player just went down by $2 today. Can never win.

DaDude

I got my Sony BDP-S360 today. I played around with it for the last couple of hours. The only disappointment I have with it is that it's significantly slower than the Samsung BD-P1600. I got really spoiled by the lightning speed of the Sammy. Now the good news....like bangbang said, it seems to be rock solid. It seems like it can play pretty much any disc you throw in it without a problem. On my "Monsters vs. Aliens" disc, the Samsung player just locks up after the movie finished right after the credits roll. Instead returning back to the main menu when the movie finishes, it just locks up and you have to reboot the machine. I always assumed it was an authoring issue. Well, the Sony had no problem whatsoever in returning to the menu. No lockup. I even tried my "Ratatouille" disc. With the Samsung, it had a few audio stutters in the movie (always the exact same spot). Again, the Sony played those parts without any issue. So far, this seems to be a very very stable unit and I have no regrets buying it yet.

I really hope I'm not talking too fast here. I have yet to play a movie in full, so anything can happen in the next 30 days or so. I will play a bunch of my BDs over the next few weeks, especially the ones that the Samsung struggled on. Hopefully, it will not have any issue. But then again, I've bought many Sony products all my life and they're the only brand out there that has never let me down.

Berserk87

I work at Best Buy, and the S360 is our most returned player at my store.

DaDude

Any particular reason why people are returning it? What are the customers complaining about when they return it?

Looking at every customer review, I don't see a single thing wrong with this player. The only complaints are minor quibbles about the remote not having an eject button, no streaming, etc. No complaint about instability. But I can't imagine this player being worse than the Samsung. If it turns out to be worse during my trial runs, then I will be very disappointed in Sony.

Berserk87

Any particular reason why people are returning it? What are the customers complaining about when they return it?

Looking at every customer review, I don't see a single thing wrong with this player. The only complaints are minor quibbles about the remote not having an eject button, no streaming, etc. No complaint about instability. But I can't imagine this player being worse than the Samsung. If it turns out to be worse during my trial runs, then I will be very disappointed in Sony.

Probably just annoyed with the loading times.

DaDude

Yes, it's very slow. But it seems to be very stable....so far, at least.

The Samsung is just flat out instable and the firmware updates are buggy.

DaDude

Just looked at Sony's site and the only way you can update the firmware without internet is to burn it on a CD-R. That sucks! I was hoping you could do it via USB like the Samsung. Oh well. Can't have everything, I guess.

DaDude

Ok, I've now owned this player for 7 days and have played several movies on it. And I must say....always listen to bangbang. He knows his stuff and he's definitely the guy you should be taking advice from.

This Sony player is nothing short of amazing. I've watched about 10 movies on it (5 of which were problematic on the Samsung unit) and they all played without any problems. Upgrading to the latest firmware via CD-R was surprisingly easy and, unlike Samsung, there are absolutely no issues with it. I think it's safe to say that the Sony BDP-S360 is one stable machine. I went ahead and wrote reviews for the Samsung BD-P1600 and Sony BDP-S360 at Amazon. I gave the Samsung 1 star and the Sony 5 stars. The reviews are the latest ones under the name, VideoGuy. One person already gave me a thumbs down for my 1-star review on the Samsung, but whatever. As you can see, I have the "Amazon Verified Purchase" mark on both reviews, which means I actually purchased both products at Amazon. So, if I had bad experience with a player, then I have every right to give it a bad review.

bangbang023

Glad you're enjoying it. Should last a long time, too. If our display can still function after being manhandled like it has been, your's should be good for a crazy long time. The good price you got doesn't hurt, either.

DaDude

I just noticed a very slight imperfection in the unit last night. The reason movies like “Ratatouille” was giving me problems on my Samsung unit is because apparently, there are about three different versions of the movie on the BD. Like, if you watch the movie in French, everything in the movie such as the cookbook, newspaper headlines, etc change to French. This is done using seamless branching. Well, if you are watching the movie in English and then press the audio button on your remote to change the language, you will get a slight pause on the video because the player is reprogramming itself to play the French parts of the video during the movie. It looks to me like a very harmless pause and it ONLY happens when you’re changing the language while the movie plays. This is probably not a big thing and I wouldn’t be surprised if it happens on the PS3.

bangbang023

That probably happens on every player. It's loading new audio and video. These aren't supercomputers.

dukelion

My dad bought this player for the living room, so I could move the PS3 in my room, and it is pretty good, it might take some time to adjust the video settings to get it perfect but the Bravia Sync option sold it for him.

DaDude

That probably happens on every player. It's loading new audio and video. These aren't supercomputers.

Yeah, that's what I thought. I havent tried changing the audio on the Samsung because I didnt know that this particular title used seamless branching until now. So I just decided to try it out and see.

The Samsung was MUCH worse with this title. It couldnt even play the English version correctly. It was stuttering and it froze in one scene. The Sony played the entire movie without a problem.

jerzdawg

I just noticed a very slight imperfection in the unit last night. The reason movies like ?Ratatouille? was giving me problems on my Samsung unit is because apparently, there are about three different versions of the movie on the BD. Like, if you watch the movie in French, everything in the movie such as the cookbook, newspaper headlines, etc change to French. This is done using seamless branching. Well, if you are watching the movie in English and then press the audio button on your remote to change the language, you will get a slight pause on the video because the player is reprogramming itself to play the French parts of the video during the movie. It looks to me like a very harmless pause and it ONLY happens when you?re changing the language while the movie plays. This is probably not a big thing and I wouldn?t be surprised if it happens on the PS3.

I am surprised its only a slight pause, I cannot imagine people switching to different languages throughout the movie.

DaDude

When I get home today, I can take my Samsung player out of the closet and test it out to see how that player would react if I changed the audio.