How big is your registry?

What is the point of this thread? XP removed the registry size limits, since it maps the views of the registry in the cache memory space now. Therefore there is no limit on space in memory and or disk anymore - it no longer uses paged pool memory. And I believe it can not be charged any more than 4MB.

So this like a "post your" thread?

When you say you cleaned the registry - what exactly are you doing? I highly doubt the deletion of unwanted keys will increase performance in the slightest. If running some tool that deletes keys for you - most likely you will cause more harm then good. Since in all likely hood, something will get deleted that should not have been.

Are you running a registry compactor of some kind? I guess these may clean out some whitespace and free up a few meg on your hard drive - but besides from that, what is the point? I would think you would be better off just making sure the registry files are not fragmenented.

Also - so you are all exporting your compete registry to a flat text file? Ah yes this will be large, why not just look at the size of the your registry files in system32\config

exporting all your registry to a .reg file is a very stupid thing to do :p

if you want to know the real size of you registry go to %windir%\system32\config and select Show In Groups.

all the files that are under File (without extension) are your registry.

those are: default, SAM, SECURITY, software, system, userdiff.

the size of mine is 24.2 MB :D

lhost,Jun 23 2003, 12:56] exporting all your registry to a .reg file is a very stupid thing to do :p

if you want to know the real size of you registry go to %windir%\system32\config and select Show In Groups.

all the files that are under File (without extension) are your registry.

those are: default, SAM, SECURITY, software, system, userdiff.

the size of mine is 24.2 MB :D

I don't have a "userdiff" file. How important is that to have? From its name it sounds like it would be for different users...is that right? Do you know what it is exactly?

With the others you listed, the size of my registry is 13.9MB. (Did I win? lol :shifty: )

default: 512k

sam: 40k

security: 256k (what part of the registry is this?)

software: 32,480k

system: 3,840k

userdiff: 256k

total: 36.5mb

all those sizes are EXACT, not one byte more or less than the specified number of kilobytes. kind of odd :huh:

default: 512k

sam: 40k

security: 256k (what part of the registry is this?)

software: 32,480k

system: 3,840k

userdiff: 256k

total: 36.5mb

all those sizes are EXACT, not one byte more or less than the specified number of kilobytes. kind of odd :huh:

you mean the size of default, security and userdiff? they are always in this size. dunno why :wacko:

not just those, system is exactly 3840k, which is exactly 960 full clusters (4k clusters). software is exactly 32,480k, exactly 8120 full clusters. most files use one extra cluster for < 4k of data.

I was wondering why I didn't have a "userdiff" file. A friend at another site just found this for me from Microsoft:

"The Userdiff files, which are only in Systemroot\System32\Config, are not associated with any hive. They are used to upgrade existing user profiles from previous versions of Windows NT to Windows NT 4.0. The user profiles are upgraded the first time the user logs on to Windows NT 4.0."

So I'm assuming, since they are not associated with any hive, it really wouldn't be considered a part of your registry size.

Go to the 'Start' button (normally at the bottom left of your screen) and click on 'Run' then type 'Regedit' and click 'OK.' When it opens, click on 'File' and choose 'Export' and save it using a filename of your choice (change the destination to the Desktop to make it easier to find). Finally, right-click on the file that was created and choose 'Properties.' It should display a Size (in MB). What's yours?

Mine is 48.3 MB

PS. I already know about this thread but it was a bit unorganised. So I created the poll above :D

When you say you cleaned the registry - what exactly are you doing? I highly doubt the deletion of unwanted keys will increase performance in the slightest.

You are right there, but with the proper program deleting the right keys you will avoid a lot of problems, including, but not limited to, MIME conflicts, ActiveX errors, Keys left by bad coded unistallers, etc