How big is your registry?

"The Userdiff files, which are only in Systemroot\System32\Config, are not associated with any hive. They are used to upgrade existing user profiles from previous versions of Windows NT to Windows NT 4.0. The user profiles are upgraded the first time the user logs on to Windows NT 4.0."

wtf? i have the file but i didn't upgrade. :huh:

lhost,Jun 23 2003, 19:25] so does it also mean they are safe to delete? :huh:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config

I delete every file in here that Windows will let me. Some can't be deleted. And I periodically check in here and delete any that get made later on.

These are the only files important in C/WINDOWS/system32\config. Anything else in there can be deleted without any problems to your system:

AppEvent.Evt

default.LOG

SAM

SAM.LOG

SecEvent.Evt

SECURITY

SECURITY.LOG

software

software.LOG

SysEvent.Evt

system

system.LOG

I delete every file in here that Windows will let me. Some can't be deleted. And I periodically check in here and delete any that get made later on.

These are the only files important in C/WINDOWS/system32\config. Anything else in there can be deleted without any problems to your system:

AppEvent.Evt

default.LOG

SAM

SAM.LOG

SecEvent.Evt

SECURITY

SECURITY.LOG

software

software.LOG

SysEvent.Evt

system

system.LOG

actually, the .Evt files arent important, they are the contents of the event log. windows will remake them.

and i dont think the log files are important too :huh:

lhost,Jun 23 2003, 23:33]

I delete every file in here that Windows will let me.  Some can't be deleted.  And I periodically check in here and delete any that get made later on.

These are the only files important in C/WINDOWS/system32\config.  Anything else in there can be deleted without any problems to your system:

AppEvent.Evt

default.LOG

SAM

SAM.LOG

SecEvent.Evt

SECURITY

SECURITY.LOG

software

software.LOG

SysEvent.Evt

system

system.LOG

actually, the .Evt files arent important, they are the contents of the event log. windows will remake them.

and i dont think the log files are important too :huh:

LOL, I can tell you and I are going to be friends. So far you've disagreed with me on every thread I've posted on. But that's cool. It keeps generating ideas to be explorered. :D

you have 16 posts, how many times did he disagree with you? 3? :laugh: wait til you have a hundred or so, and if he still disagrees with you every time i'll be surprised :D

lhost,Jun 23 2003, 23:33]

I delete every file in here that Windows will let me.? Some can't be deleted.? And I periodically check in here and delete any that get made later on.

These are the only files important in C/WINDOWS/system32\config.?  Anything else in there can be deleted without any problems to your system:

AppEvent.Evt

default.LOG

SAM

SAM.LOG

SecEvent.Evt

SECURITY

SECURITY.LOG

software

software.LOG

SysEvent.Evt

system

system.LOG

and i dont think the log files are important t:huh:uh:

LOL, I can tell you and I are going to be friends. So far you've disagreed with me on every thread I've posted on. But that's cool. It keeps generating ideas to be explorered.:D :D

really? i never noticed :laugh:gh:

i usually dont look at the poster of the message but the message itse;) ;)

Mine is always around 25MB.

Use RegSeeker and RegOptimizer for maintainance.

I noticed that some entries just keep reappearing no matter how many times you run the registry cleaner although the files they point to are not there.

Is there any way to truly delete these entries?

well it seems some people look at the exported registery size and others to the win/system32/config folder.

So as I already told mine exported is 33Mb

but if I sheck my config folder it's only 17,3Mb

> Win2k SP3

Mine is always around 25MB.

Use RegSeeker and RegOptimizer for maintainance.

I noticed that some entries just keep reappearing no matter how many times you run the registry cleaner although the files they point to are not there.

Is there any way to truly delete these entries?

well look wich programme it makes them

like winrar makes them 2

every time u open a .rar it creates a a reg

just ingnore them

i think its ok as long as u keep it under the 80 mb or so

I've deduced that the config folder is half the size of the exported registry because

After fresh xp pro install and relocating/instaling everything exactly as it was:

/config = 20.9MB

exported = 40.9MB

Before fresh install (1.5 year old install)

exported = 98MB :o

I've noticed a hella smoother speed boost :p

That may be because ive got 768MB ram now too :p

You guys need to go here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techi...ing/dureg-o.asp

Download a program called dureg.exe

DuReg is a command-line tool that enables you to discover how much data is stored in the registry, or in any registry subtree, key, or subkey. The tool also enables you to search for all occurrences of a text string in the registry. This search can be limited to a specific subtree.

Note

DuReg counts data, not space. Because the space any data occupies varies with the storage method and amount of free space available, the size of data and the size of space consumed are not equal. Also, because it measures data, DuReg does not account for fragmented free space in the registry.

config folder - 28.8MB

export - 57.3MB

Windows XP Professional, SP1, been installed around 8 months. Runs as fast as ever... :)

System:

P3 1.26Ghz, 640MB PC133 SDRAM, 80GB + 120GB 7200RPM w/ 8MB cache HDDs, Geforce 4 Ti4200 128MB, SB Live! Gamer