More Wireless Network Trouble :-(

Question

+John Teacake

Hello Fellow Neowinians. you may rememeber me posting before when i had problems with the Belkin Wireless network cards. I finally decided that it was faulty cards and took them back and exchanged them for a set of US Robotics ones. I have got a PCI one and a laptop card. they are not the 54MBPS speed i wanted but still they are OK (when they work). within mins of pluging them in they were working a charm. Yet did i realise i had the laptop and the PC right next to each other. Excellent signal strength etc. I then moved the laptop a short distance away from the PC and then i lost the connection on the laptop and the PC only says that the signal is Low. I cant send any data from either machine to the other. They work fine when they are next to each other but when they are moved a short distance away they dont work. Theres no interference and they are well within range of each other. Also the US Robotics software does not show the link quality and signal strength at anytime. This does not bother me although its another problem i need sorting, im more bothered about fixing the distance problem at the moment. I have also update to the latest drivers from the US Robotics website. Could anyone please shed any light on my problem. thanks

3 answers to this question

kombolcha

what do you mean by "short distance" a number would help. on my wireless connection i usually get really excellent signal strength. i'm guessing that my computer is about 30 feet away from the router. and i get good - excellent signal strength... basically i took a lap top and i walked around the house. either i get signal or no signal.

another thing you can do is buy a wireless antenna... i saw one at Best Buy and you can find one at Fry's (assuming that you live in the US)

i don't have time to look up for one. i start my first job tomorrow

+John Teacake

ok thanks for the advice. i couldnt realy estimate a distance that i moved the laptop but its definately under 30 ft. a few meters maybe.

kombolcha

i dunno what could be wrong.. why don't you try calling US robotics. they might help