I really like WMP12

I use WMP for audio and KM Player for video. I'd be more than happy to switch full WMP but there are two major drawbacks that keep me from doing that :

1) Subtitles. To this day I haven't found a plugin that enables and manages "srt" files in an easy way : drag and drop on the video to load subtitles and auto-load based on the name of the video file. Resyncing would be a good bonus too.

<snipped>

Until there are similar features in WMP, either natively or via plugins I guess i'll stick with KMP.

For subtitles you can use DirectVobSub

Sourceforge : http://sourceforge.net/projects/guliverkli2/files/DirectShow%20Filters/DirectVobSub%202.39/

25891856.png

It will autoload subtitles that are in the movie directory.

16017813.png

Right clicking the green notification area icon will give you a menu where you can enable/disable/select subtitles.

DirectVobSub will work with any DirectShow based players like the Windows Media Player, Media Player Classic/HC, The Core Media Player and others.

Well I hate WMP12. It looks nice and plays lots of types but that's all.

At first, what's a stupid idea to do not show the length of the video in fullscreen? I want to know total time of the video. And what about keyboard/mouse shortcuts? I want to be able to ajust volume with mouse whee, ant play/pause video with space key. And what about some extra nice features that GOM Player has? WMP12 can't play next file in the directory automaticaly. It can't restore my session after closing the player (I mean to be able to play the same file from the point I've stoped last time).

Well I hate WMP12. It looks nice and plays lots of types but that's all.

At first, what's a stupid idea to do not show the length of the video in fullscreen? I want to know total time of the video. And what about keyboard/mouse shortcuts? I want to be able to ajust volume with mouse whee, ant play/pause video with space key. And what about some extra nice features that GOM Player has? WMP12 can't play next file in the directory automaticaly. It can't restore my session after closing the player (I mean to be able to play the same file from the point I've stoped last time).

Wow! You joined in 2006 and this is your first post? :woot:

64547505.th.png

WMP does show length of the video in windowed and fullscreen mode. You can toggle between current position, current position/total length, remaining by just clicking on the timer.

From just glancing over the readme, I see things like

DivX H.264 Decoder

Various Haali renderer/splitter stuff

Nero ES Video Reader

Nero Digital Parser

RadLight OptimFROG DirectShow Filter

VP7 Decompressor

and maybe others. These would all appear to be pirated.

I have looked through its program files, and the appearance to me is that most of that stuff is decoded with ffdshow, I have not found a single copyrighted file there.

I have looked through its program files, and the appearance to me is that most of that stuff is decoded with ffdshow

You clearly haven't looked very hard, because the software I list above absolutely is included, presumably without permission. This makes it piracy.

I have not found a single copyrighted file there.

Every single file in there is copyrighted, including the open source stuff like ffdshow. The GPL parts just have a license that give you permission to distribute it.

Wow! You joined in 2006 and this is your first post? :woot:

WMP does show length of the video in windowed and fullscreen mode. You can toggle between current position, current position/total length, remaining by just clicking on the timer.

Yes, was just reading around all the time :shiftyninja:

About the length toogle, that's a nice tip. Didn't knew that. Though there still are other problems I've mentioned.

You definitely aren't the only one. I don't use WMP12 though. I prefer MPC-HC for audio and video.

Yes, was just reading around all the time :shiftyninja:

About the length toogle, that's a nice tip. Didn't knew that. Though there still are other problems I've mentioned.

Yeah I know WMP12 is not perfect but its the best WMP ever. I myself use it alongside MPC - HC 1.3.1557.0 which fully support Windows 7 taskbar features.

As for keyboard shortcuts, look here: Keyboard Shortcuts for Windows Media Player in Windows 7

windowsmediaplayer12key.th.png

You clearly haven't looked very hard, because the software I list above absolutely is included, presumably without permission. This makes it piracy.

Every single file in there is copyrighted, including the open source stuff like ffdshow. The GPL parts just have a license that give you permission to distribute it.

Instead of giving a smart alecy answer, try and contribute something... useful. I am sure you are well aware of what I meant.

I did contribute... I explained to you that the codec pack appears to still be illegal. That means the administrators are justified in blocking it. Legally speaking, there is no difference between linking to this and, say, a pirated game.

WMP 12 is pretty good for me .. use it exclusively for audio .. and plays just about everything I need in video without bothering with 'dodgy' codec packs!

I also use Zoom Player sometimes for video files though ..

I only use wmp 12 because it comes bundled with windows and I don't have to bloat my system by installing another player. As for features I am happy with what it has to offer and I almost never complain about it. I just does it's job and that's fine with me. Some people might say it lacks certain features but I say there are ways to get past those disadvantages. I won't change my player any time soon.

I like that it's doesn't look bloated, it starts pretty fast and it works every time. What more can I demand from it?

I never cared for previous versions, but WMP12 = A+

I agree, no extra codecs or other bullcrap needed to play movies...though I still use iTunes for music. I have an iPod.

From just glancing over the readme, I see things like

DivX H.264 Decoder

Various Haali renderer/splitter stuff

Nero ES Video Reader

Nero Digital Parser

RadLight OptimFROG DirectShow Filter

VP7 Decompressor

and maybe others. These would all appear to be pirated.

RE Haali -> http://haali.su/mkv/ <-- Really pirated Oh wait?

Radlight Optimfrog -> http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/RadLight-OptimFrog-DirectShow-decoder-filter-Download-10897.html Pirate software on Softpedia??

http://www.freewaregeeks.com/?page=detail&get_id=1125&category=36 ?? Free?

Cant be bothered going on

Gotta hand it to WMP12. Just ripped a CD and it was smart enough to know all my music is stored on the WHS box, and dumped the ripped CD in there (Y)

Seriously? That's freaking impressive! (Y)

I wants WHS so bad.

RE Haali -> http://haali.su/mkv/ <-- Really pirated Oh wait?

Radlight Optimfrog -> http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/RadLight-OptimFrog-DirectShow-decoder-filter-Download-10897.html Pirate software on Softpedia??

http://www.freewaregeeks.com/?page=detail&get_id=1125&category=36 ?? Free?

Cant be bothered going on

It probably isn't worth arguing with the E-Police members on here, remember we are all dirty pirates (even if we use FOSS codecs apparently)!

Seriously? That's freaking impressive! (Y)

I wants WHS so bad.

Hell yes! I was amazed, I had to go downstairs and tell someone (in a typical nerd fashion) :D

And yes, you needs a WHS box. I love mine <3

I have to say that I do use the Zune Software for my media, however WMP12 is pretty good.

Same here.

I think Microsoft really did a phenomenal job with the Zune Software, they should bundle it with Windows! I love having a social side to my media player where people can see what I listen to, my favorite artists, how many plays, and so on. I think it's a cool set up. I still agree though, WMP12 is pretty great too.

Wow, you guys are the first one I "know" how really use the WMP.

I don't know a single "real" person who uses this thing.

Even the n00bs of my friends use MPC-HC or VLC.

I prefer ZoomPlayer.

WMP isn't just as convenient the other player.

I like to change the size of the window with my mousewheel. Or I like to easily see all used codecs.

Also I don't like how WMP changed my files (tags etc) at the first start.

So for me me WMP is a no go.

P.S: I never use any of these codec-pack-crap. All you need is ffdshow and haali media splitter.

Wow, you guys are the first one I "know" how really use the WMP.

I don't know a single "real" person who uses this thing.

Even the n00bs of my friends use MPC-HC or VLC.

I prefer ZoomPlayer.

WMP isn't just as convenient the other player.

I like to change the size of the window with my mousewheel. Or I like to easily see all used codecs.

Also I don't like how WMP changed my files (tags etc) at the first start.

So for me me WMP is a no go.

P.S: I never use any of these codec-pack-crap. All you need is ffdshow and haali media splitter.

You must not "Know" many "people" then? Seeing as WMP takes up 75% of the MARKET of media players!

In what way is WMP not convenient? It's PREINSTALLED.

It only changes your files if you tell it to, also, not sure what you're on about, but even your so called "n00bs" know Zoomplayer is terrible.

I use mp3tag to tag all of my files with missing information and album art, and WMP 12 hasn't once screwed them up. It only attempts to re-tag files that are improperly tagged in the first place.

I use mp3tag to tag all of my files with missing information and album art, and WMP 12 hasn't once screwed them up. It only attempts to re-tag files that are improperly tagged in the first place.

Exactly my point :)