• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

I really like WMP12

pezzonovante    21

MPC and VLC Player's UI are fugly as hell. WMP12 FTW.

hdood    145

RE Haali -> http://haali.su/mkv/ <-- Really pirated Oh wait?

Radlight Optimfrog -> http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/RadLight-OptimFrog-DirectShow-decoder-filter-Download-10897.html Pirate software on Softpedia??

http://www.freewaregeeks.com/?page=detail&get_id=1125&category=36 ?? Free?

Cant be bothered going on

Software that is free is still covered by copyright. This means that it is illegal for you to redistribute it without the permission of the copyright holder. In other words, while it is legal for the Haali author to offer his work for download, you would be breaking the law if you were to redistribute his work. Violating copyright law is known as piracy. This should be obvious. It's important that you have copyright protection even if you choose to give your work away for free.

As for your other two links, yes, they are illegal unless they were uploaded by the rights holder or someone with permission from him.

It probably isn't worth arguing with the E-Police members on here, remember we are all dirty pirates (even if we use FOSS codecs apparently)!

Except these are not FOSS products (as far as I can tell). You were told this already, so why continue this lie? I don't care if people download it, I am just saying that the board administrators could easily be justified in banning it -- despite what you thought.

Zain Adeel    197

i only use WMP12 because of the awesome http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?act=announce&f=12&id=11 codecs :)

and yes.. for subs i use directsub something.. it automatically applies subtitles in the folder .. :)

before this i used to use Classic media player home cinema.. but WMP12 is really nice looking and does the job well

RoomKid    15

Ya, I agree WMP 12 is much more better. The best part is that it supports .MOV :D

Singh400    184
P.S: I never use any of these codec-pack-crap. All you need is ffdshow and haali media splitter.
I agree most codec packs are more trouble than they are worth. However, CCCP and Shark_007 have been used on my systems in the past without any problems.
i only use WMP12 because of the awesome http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?act=announce&f=12&id=11 codecs :)

and yes.. for subs i use directsub something.. it automatically applies subtitles in the folder .. :)

Yup, that codec pack does rock ;) And it is DirectVobSub :D
Ya, I agree WMP 12 is much more better. The best part is that it supports .MOV :D
Bloody hell, you still play/watch *.mov? Do you have an Apple Movie trailer fetish or something?

MikeChipshop    3,458

Unfortunately .mov files do pop up on the net occasionally! Sad times :(

buckaroo    11

You must not "Know" many "people" then? Seeing as WMP takes up 75% of the MARKET of media players!

A lot of people also use InternetExplorer but that doesn't make it a good piece of software.

In what way is WMP not convenient? It's PREINSTALLED.

And that's it. You can't configure it as much as you can configure other players (e.g. mousewheel to change the size of the window, direct access to codec options, integrated codecs (MPC-HC), saving of the window position and size...)

It only changes your files if you tell it to, also, not sure what you're on about, but even your so called "n00bs" know Zoomplayer is terrible.

They don't think it's terrible, but they aren't power users like me and don't need the extra features.

Don't get me wrong: WMP12 isn't as bad as the previous versions, but imho there are a lot of better players out there.

Singh400    184
A lot of people also use InternetExplorer but that doesn't make it a good piece of software.
Since when does the number of people using software make it good or not? I use wget for as my download manager, and I think it is bloody awesome. But I don't think everyone here does.
And that's it. You can't configure it as much as you can configure other players (e.g. mousewheel to change the size of the window, direct access to codec options, integrated codecs (MPC-HC), saving of the window position and size...)
A media player does two things. Plays audio files, in which case I don't want to see it, interact with it at all. I just want to hear my music.

And the other is to watch video files. I don't know about you, but when I watch video files I don't constantly change the size of the window. The only thing I do miss is spacebar to pause in WMP. Ctrl + P is really hard/annoying to find in the dark :D

Direct access to codec options, is something which is provded by the codec itself for a system wide effect. MPC-HC is good I'll give you that, but WMP is just as good.

They don't think it's terrible, but they aren't power users like me and don't need the extra features.
Define 'power user'. I reckon most people here are "power users".

Stokkolm    336

The mousewheel resizing is kind of gimicky and to me would be annoying. It does come with codecs, obviously just not the ones you want, so download those codecs. And it does save the windows position and size when you close the program.

buckaroo    11

Since when does the number of people using software make it good or not? I use wget for as my download manager, and I think it is bloody awesome. But I don't think everyone here does.

I don't know. Ask him.

A media player does two things. Plays audio files, in which case I don't want to see it, interact with it at all. I just want to hear my music.

I sort and tag my files with it too (foobar).

And the other is to watch video files. I don't know about you, but when I watch video files I don't constantly change the size of the window. The only thing I do miss is spacebar to pause in WMP. Ctrl + P is really hard/annoying to find in the dark :D

Direct access to codec options, is something which is provded by the codec itself for a system wide effect. MPC-HC is good I'll give you that, but WMP is just as good.

I don't want to go to the start menu every time I want to change or fine tune something with the codecs. In ZP e.g. I can access these options via the context menu.

Define 'power user'. I reckon most people here are "power users".

Maybe they are and are happy with WMP. But even you mentioned something you would like to change (spacebar <-> CTRL+P). I want my software fully configurable and that's something WMP can't offer.

The mousewheel resizing is kind of gimicky and to me would be annoying.

Maybe to you but still something WMP can't offer

And it does save the windows position and size when you close the program.

When I start a video it's always scaled to 100% of the video size.

But I'll stop here. There can't be a "best" program for everyone.

hotosega    2

I use iTunes because I like the album art display ;)

WMP is good but in the past it lacked codecs and it still kinda does. And my iPod can't sync with wmp (should be done though)

For the video I use VLC. It's lightweight, free and has many codecs :)

Preppy    33

Maybe they are and are happy with WMP. But even you mentioned something you would like to change (spacebar <-> CTRL+P). I want my software fully configurable and that's something WMP can't offer.

That comes as a surprise to me.

Set the UI focus to the play/pause button, voila: spacebar is play/pause.

Spacebar as a global hotkey is generally broken since it's a UI activation element needed for accessibility. Back in WMP9(?) or so WMP added the above mentioned tweak so that within a reasonable context (which doesn't break accessibility/text scenarios) the spacebar functions as CTRL+P.

Or just get a multimedia keyboard... :)

Shadrack    601

I don't mind WMP12, but I only use it to play video. I don't really care for the media library features. For music I prefer foobar200, Zune, and then iTunes.