Windows 8 Beta forum added

Great. Can't wait to see what Windows 8 (or whatever the name will be), will offer.

Edited by Anaron

Great. Can't wait to see what Windows 8 (or whatever the name will be), will offer.

I think Microsoft are over the days of the silly-named operating systems. Windows 7 is clear, as Windows 8 will hopefully be :)

I think Microsoft are over the days of the silly-named operating systems. Windows 7 is clear, as Windows 8 will hopefully be :)

Until Microsoft gives us the next Windows' name, we wont know for sure. I agree with you though. I just added the "(or whatever the name will be)" because the last time I just said Windows 8, I got a lot of unhappy users yelling at me (wasn't on neowin). Just cautious. :)

Nice but how can we be sure that build 7700 is a pre'alpha and very early build of Windows 8 and its development and not something else?

Just asking.

Edited by Anaron

Nice but how can we be sure that build 7700 is a pre'alpha and very early build of Windows 8 and its development and not something else?

Just asking.

Definition of Epic Fail.

cause windows 7/WS2008R2 were build 7600

and there is barely change in build 7700,so we just assumed

Nice :) Thanks Neobon.Time to make Windows 7 Beta section disappear i think.

Good point. Someone should archive that forum soon (or whenever the RC finally expires) :p

Until Microsoft gives us the next Windows' name, we wont know for sure. I agree with you though. I just added the "(or whatever the name will be)" because the last time I just said Windows 8, I got a lot of unhappy users yelling at me (wasn't on neowin). Just cautious. :)

Microsoft should have stay with the year of release for the Windows naming as Windows 2010. Showing clearly how old is the OS.

Just asking.

If you look at the development history for previous versions of Windows you'll notice that the build number for service packs rarely changes, Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 were an exception.

Example:

Windows 2000 was NT 5.0, build 2195 for the duration of its service life.

Windows XP was NT 5.1, build 2600 for the duration of its service life (please note that this is in reference to 32-bit Windows XP, not 64-bit Windows XP which was based on Server 2003).

Windows Vista was NT 6.0, build 6000 for RTM, build 6001 for Server 2008 and Vista SP1, and build 6002 for Server 2008 and Vista SP2.

In all likelyhood, Windows 7 SP builds will either retain the RTM build number (7600) or be incremented by 1 a-la Windows Vista (7601, 7602, etc). This would place build 7700 outside of just being a SP.

* Disclaimer: I have no idea what build number strategy Microsoft will use for Windows 7 or future products.

I'm hoping that's the case as well... lol But I guess we'll just have to see... :)

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, I sure hope that doesn't "stick"... lol

Actually Sinofsky personally started to refer to Windows 8 as "Windows vNext"

Some food for thought.