What features are you hoping to see in Windows 8?

I hope the people mentioning WinFS aren't serious.

So far, I'd like to see:

1. Better themeing/styling that removes the need to replace system files, and more consistency for when you change colors. WLMail does this, but Explorer doesn't.
  2. Explorer command bar customization.
  3. Advanced search queries. (The current way in 7 is too limiting for both novice and advanced users.)
  4. Better recovery from when Explorer crashes. (Icon overlays and tray icons either are missing or switched)
  5. Show size of selected files when you have more than 15 selected, and show size of current directory. The detail pane is there for a reason! Use it MS!

What are these, then: Direct2D and WPF?

Direct2D is just a graphics API. WPF, while a (flawed) GUI framework, is only for managed code. I was talking about native code, which is what most software is (including all of Windows, with the exception of parts of WMC.) Sorry for not making that clear.

I'd like to have my 'classic' start menu back without having to resort to third party tools. :p They left it in Vista, why the heck did they have to remove it from 7? It probably doesn't save much space to remove it as a simple option....

I'd like to have my 'classic' start menu back without having to resort to third party tools. :p They left it in Vista, why the heck did they have to remove it from 7? It probably doesn't save much space to remove it as a simple option....

Because they probably measured that very few people used it and so felt the time was finally right to get rid of it. Keeping two different implementations around means more work as you have to keep both implementations up to date and compatible. It's about more than just size. What other feature would you sacrifice to keep the classic menu?

First: sandboxing and virtualisation of apps built in. So I can run dodgy ActiveX plugins in IE that install lots of spywear and viruses, but it doesn't matter because it's sandboxed off from the rest of my apps and files.

Second: WinFS has always been too slow to be used in Windows, but by the time Windows 8 comes out hard disks will be faster and solid state drives will be more common. So I'd like to see it included.

IE8 in Windows 7 runs in Protected Mode, so spyware and viruses can't harm your system.

Protected Mode is not a true sandbox though, not by the definition I think most people mean. It still allows read access to all your files, write access to the global object namespace, and the ability to freely draw on the desktop (which means any warning box that says you're about to give the malware full access to the system can just be changed to look like a javascript error box or whatever that virtually everyone would just say to.) It's also not generic, so it can't be applied to arbitrary software.

Because they probably measured that very few people used it and so felt the time was finally right to get rid of it. Keeping two different implementations around means more work as you have to keep both implementations up to date and compatible. It's about more than just size. What other feature would you sacrifice to keep the classic menu?

What other feature would I sacrifice to keep the classic start menu? I wouldn't know where to start lol

There are plenty of people who want it back, try a Google search for it and have a look ;) It seems like a small change to those who didn't use it anymore but to those who did... it is very much missed.

What other feature would I sacrifice to keep the classic start menu? I wouldn't know where to start lol

Well, something has to go so you can keep various old features.

There are plenty of people who want it back, try a Google search for it and have a look ;) It seems like a small change to those who didn't use it anymore but to those who did... it is very much missed.

You say plenty, but I don't think you really know if it is "plenty." I would imagine that Microsoft has done the actual research, which includes collecting telemetry on how millions of random computers across the world are configured (Windows includes this functionality), and concluded that it could be removed without affecting most users.

I don't dispute that both you and many other people do miss it, but let's be realistic here (I know, the thread is about wishes), there is no way it is ever coming back.

Well, something has to go so you can keep various old features.

Why is that? This part I don't get. Why would something have to go if you could just have an option to switch it?

csm2.jpg

I don't dispute that both you and many other people do miss it, but let's be realistic here (I know, the thread is about wishes), there is no way it is ever coming back.

Sadly, I'd have to agree with this realism. They decided to remove it and it probably won't be put back. If it was, however, it would sure be a pleasant surprise for me! So, it's still on my wish list for Windows 8! lol :p

Why is that? This part I don't get. Why would something have to go if you could just have an option to switch it?

You have to consider all the code and work that lies behind that seemingly simple option. It means you have to maintain two separate start menu implementations alongside each other and ensure that any changes you make to the OS or new features you introduce are compatible with both. Forever. This essentially triples (or more) the workload, and takes away valuable time and resources that would otherwise be assigned to another feature. That is what is meant when someone say you would have to sacrifice something else. The resources available are finite.

It's a support nightmare to have to support two different start menus, which means having to follow two seperate instruction sets and adds to troubleshooting time.

all i would like to see is the homegroup ability improved where you can connect to other oses like xp instead of another 7 pc otherwise 7 is fine.

I want to see a reworked desktop. I would like to put desktop icons in piles so that I could be able to access applications and files quickly without cluttering up my desktop...

1. A consistent user interface that follows the aero ui standards. No more dialog boxes and windows from XP and older (screen saver selection, advanced system properties, disk cleanup, advanced power settings, device manager, msconfig, administrative tools, etc)

2. Built-in iso drive mounting

3. New WordPad can open/save .doc files

4. Ability to "Uninstall" system restore, parental controls and signed driver checks

5. Built-in FLAC Audio Support in WMP

6. Built-in .MKV container support in WMP allowing it to process .MKV files with embedded subtitles and multiple audio streams

7. Built in support for .7z archives. It is an open-source format so why not?

8. Built-in support for opening, browsing, printing and searching text in .pdf documents (should be doable since it's an open standard now)

9. Better system information utility that is more modern and provides more info such as system temps, etc

10. Built-in Alarm Clock feature

11. Multiple taskbar support for dual-monitors similar to MultiMon

12. Built-in bandwidth usage monitor

13. Multiple tabbed interface, history of opened items, line numbering, multiple document comparison (to find differences although this might be better suited for word or wordpad) in Notepad. All of these should be turned off by default but should be built-in options

14. Better Built-in CD/DVD/Blu-ray disc burning support similar to IMGBurn or Ashampoo

15. Better disc cleanup similar to CCleaner

16. An updated disk space usuage pie chart graphic that doesn't look like it came from office 97

17. Actually read and implement reasonable suggestions from win7taskforce.

18. Option to keep UAC on but be able to see processes from all users without clicking that annoying button every time

19. Quick backup/restore option to backup changes made to default Windows settings and applicable history and logs (for the bandwidth usage for example and uptime stats)

20. Built-in spell check utility in IE

21. The Ability to drag and drop files to the breadcrumb explorer navigation bar (to move files up a folder for example)

22. An alternative theme to Aero built in that prehaps 3d or something

23. Refine the Windows Classic theme to look decent again

24. 64-bit versions only please: Home, Professional & Ultimate

25. Merge Program Files (x86) folder back into Program Files

• Like 2

minwin

winfs

OH COME ON.

MinWin is ALREADY IN WINDOWS 7.

WinFS WAS ABANDONED. (Who wants a s****y unfinished FS anyway)

MinWin no longer exists as it is integrated into windows 7. WinFS has been restarted from scratch as a new project, and you likely won't see this for a while.

1. A consistent user interface that follows the aero ui standards. No more dialog boxes and windows from XP and older (screen saver selection, advanced system properties, disk cleanup, advanced power settings, device manager, msconfig, administrative tools, etc)

Yeah, I hope they change the UI completely actually. No mor eof this taskbar crap

Not gonna happen. MS isn't gonna help people pirate, and this is the #1 way to do it

Not gonna happen, how else will they sell Office

4. Ability to "Uninstall" system restore, parental controls and signed driver checks

Why? Just disable them, geez.

Support for a barely used format...nah

6. Built-in .MKV container support in WMP allowing it to process .MKV files with embedded subtitles and multiple audio streams

Agreed (Y) DivX has a solution for this though.

Eh...it's crappy though. Waste of MS time and money

8. Built-in support for opening, browsing, printing and searching text in .pdf documents (should be doable since it's an open standard now)

(Y)

9. Better system information utility that is more modern and provides more info such as system temps, etc

True, good idea but hard to implement based on variety of hardware

That's quite beyond the scope of Windows. Pointless really

Agreed, but I think the taskbar needs a serious re-think anyway

There IS one. Perfstats, under Admin tools

13. Multiple tabbed interface, history of opened items, line numbering, multiple document comparison (to find differences although this might be better suited for word or wordpad) in Notepad. All of these should be turned off by default but should be built-in options

Um...right...?

14. Better Built-in CD/DVD/Blu-ray disc burning support similar to IMGBurn or Ashampoo

Huh? Better than Windows 7? You mean, better to pirate with?

It's not up to Microsoft to clean up 3rd party stuff

16. An updated disk space usuage pie chart graphic that doesn't look like it came from office 97

Lol, yes, but this is kinda redundant cause of the new Explorer my computer usage bars

Yeah, but they won't...or few will make it. Seriously, how much time do you think these guys have?

18. Option to keep UAC on but be able to see processes from all users without clicking that annoying button every time

That's a security thing. Stops programs ending other users processes randomly

19. Quick backup/restore option to backup changes made to default Windows settings and applicable history and logs (for the bandwidth usage for example and uptime stats)

Um...I guess, seems like a big change for not much usage

In IE? Why? Lol :p (Just joking, I know people use IE, but you gotta realise this isn't part of the OS, it's a seperate team)

21. The Ability to drag and drop files to the breadcrumb explorer navigation bar (to move files up a folder for example)

Fantastic idea

They need to build a new UI anyways, the reason they don't let people theme is cause of the way it makes alot of different problems (I.e different configs)

Yep. Or remove it :p

(Y)

Won't happen. That's how you define legacy vs 64-bit.

all i would like to see is the homegroup ability improved where you can connect to other oses like xp instead of another 7 pc otherwise 7 is fine.

It won't happen, they do things like this purposefully to force people to upgrade. XP will be history by then.

This is a tough one for me.

I would like it if folders could be pinned to the taskbar and work similar to mac os jump lists.

I miss the windows xp "repair" wifi connection in the right click menu.

I think that flip 3d could be better. Not sure how exactly... But I find alt-tab and the task bar more useful.

One big Windows annoyance is how every damn application wants to throw it's files in "My Documents". It's so bad the folder is unusable for it's intended purpose. Not sure how much of this is MS fault and if they can fix it in Windows 8.

I really liked how Windows Vista removed the "My" from some of the user folders. They are all back probably because of compatibility issues (see last point).

Windows 7 is awesome! Love the features, for sure. But Im looking forward to Windows 8. I hope they keep with the simple naming convention too.

Yeah this is pretty much my list too. However I do want a more professional looking Aero similar to OS X's slate UI. (there I said it)

Whatever happened to Microsoft's BitTorrent client "Avalanche"?

Huh? Better than Windows 7? You mean, better to pirate with?

How do you go from CD/DVD burning to piracy? Disc burning is a legitimate activity, although USB drives are probably more popular nowadays.

How do you go from CD/DVD burning to piracy? Disc burning is a legitimate activity, although USB drives are probably more popular nowadays.

The "better burning support" they appear to be getting at is the ability to copy discs, which is not required.