Nikon D5000

So it just arrived... I let the battery charge... took a couple of test snapshots with kit lens non vr 18-5mm. And for the life of me, I can't find the sd card reader, those things get lost like socks for me... and WTF as i proceed to plugin the camera directly to my pc I notice it's not a standard usb/mini usb, like my previous nikon D50... Then I look at the specifications to find:

Connectivity

• USB 2.0 (Hi-Speed) Mini-B connector

GRrrrrrrrrrrrr /me is seriously ****ed. I know it's not a big deal for someone else, but buying propierty cables is a nag! not to mention expensive and/or hard to find... And like socks... USB cables get lost in some dark void in my house...

edit: /me waits for the nazi grammar soldiers to tell my I miss spelled something.

Should be the same cable as the D50

Nope the D50 is standard USB, whereas the D5000 is Mini-B crapsomething connector... Like noted above.

Do you miss the aperture dial?

:s The D5000 has one :wacko: ?

? USB 2.0 (Hi-Speed) Mini-B connector

GRrrrrrrrrrrrr /me is seriously ****ed. I know it's not a big deal for someone else, but buying propierty cables is a nag! not to mention expensive and/or hard to find... And like socks... USB cables get lost in some dark void in my house...

Even if you had the right cable, I don't know if the SD card would be recognized. You need something like Aperture of iPhoto or Lightroom to import the photos. My D90 won't let the SD card show up as an ejectable drive when plugged in through the USB. It's stupid....

Do you miss the aperture dial?

Going from a D50 to a D5000? The D50 only has one dial, and it's on the back.

Even if you had the right cable, I don't know if the SD card would be recognized. You need something like Aperture of iPhoto or Lightroom to import the photos. My D90 won't let the SD card show up as an ejectable drive when plugged in through the USB. It's stupid....

Going from a D50 to a D5000? The D50 only has one dial, and it's on the back.

yeah the D5000 has the same dial.

Yup it shows as a "camera something" in W7, it's highly annoying, although fiddling around you can copy/paste into it.

What's more annoying is the use of pseudo-proprierty connectors... Seriously I can't get over it. If size was an issue they should've uses micro-usb like most cellphones nowadays

?

Going from a D50 to??a D5000???The D50 only has one dial, and it's on the back.

I was under the impression that the D50 had 2 dials like the D70, D80 and D90...

?

I was under the impression that the D50 had 2 dials like the D70, D80 and D90...

no... D50's the entry level body when it was new, just like the D40 D60 D3000 D5000.

No wonder, I had pretty much no idea what you were talking about :p

no... D50's the entry level body when it was new, just like the D40 D60 D3000 D5000.

OK, good to know that.

yeah the D5000 has the same dial.

Yup it shows as a "camera something" in W7, it's highly annoying, although fiddling around you can copy/paste into it.

What's more annoying is the use of pseudo-proprierty connectors... Seriously I can't get over it. If size was an issue they should've uses micro-usb like most cellphones nowadays

There's nothing proprietary or semi proprietary about the mini-B(also known as mini) USB connector. It like it's cousin the B connector(printers and scanners and other larger PC accessories) and the micro(not sure if this is called micro-B or C actually) connectors are standard USB connectors. Many cell phones already use the mini-B and from now on all will be using it as a charging connector after the EU decided to get their foot down on the silly amounts of proprietary charggin and data connectors on phones.

I'm actually more surprised the D50 didn't use a mini-B

Anyway enjoy the new camera, as for the memory card, I'm pretty sure both Vista and 7 can see D90(and by extension 5000) memory cards as drives). in any case the built in photo import tool in xp, vista and 7 work just as well to import and clean thememory card as lightoroom and aperture and those. while I may use lightroom I use the windows tool to import. it doesn't mess around as much.

Many cell phones already use the mini-B and from now on all will be using it as a charging connector after the EU decided to get their foot down on the silly amounts of proprietary charggin and data connectors on phones.

That's why my brand new Palm Pre, which is sold in Europe and North America, has a Micro USB?

There's nothing proprietary or semi proprietary about the mini-B(also known as mini) USB connector. It like it's cousin the B connector(printers and scanners and other larger PC accessories) and the micro(not sure if this is called micro-B or C actually) connectors are standard USB connectors. Many cell phones already use the mini-B and from now on all will be using it as a charging connector after the EU decided to get their foot down on the silly amounts of proprietary charggin and data connectors on phones.

I'm actually more surprised the D50 didn't use a mini-B

Anyway enjoy the new camera, as for the memory card, I'm pretty sure both Vista and 7 can see D90(and by extension 5000) memory cards as drives). in any case the built in photo import tool in xp, vista and 7 work just as well to import and clean thememory card as lightoroom and aperture and those. while I may use lightroom I use the windows tool to import. it doesn't mess around as much.

That's why my brand new Palm Pre, which is sold in Europe and North America, has a Micro USB?

I'd have to agree with crazzy here, my old blackberry curve, my now nokia e63 both use micro-usb, heck even my gf's 5800 uses micro-usb. Micro usb is the way to go. I've yet to see any other device use this same connector the D5000 uses. :pinch:

I'd have to agree with crazzy here, my old blackberry curve, my now nokia e63 both use micro-usb, heck even my gf's 5800 uses micro-usb. Micro usb is the way to go. I've yet to see any other device use this same connector the D5000 uses. :pinch:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cb/Types-usb_new.svg (damm board don't like svg)

USB_types_2.jpg

Are you sure you're talking about the right plug here. USB Mini-B is the standard plug all devices use, and wich is now standardized and will be the standard power plug on new cell phones.

in any case, if it's micro B that's also a standard USB plug, an dno proprietary. and something I have seen used on other cameras, weirdly I've seen it used on big stuff like bridge cams, but my relatively small logitech harmony remotes use the regular mini. of course nokie likes to use the ****ty mini-A plugs just to be special.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cb/Types-usb_new.svg (damm board don't like svg)

USB_types_2.jpg

Are you sure you're talking about the right plug here. USB Mini-B is the standard plug all devices use, and wich is now standardized and will be the standard power plug on new cell phones.

in any case, if it's micro B that's also a standard USB plug, an dno proprietary. and something I have seen used on other cameras, weirdly I've seen it used on big stuff like bridge cams, but my relatively small logitech harmony remotes use the regular mini. of course nokie likes to use the ****ty mini-A plugs just to be special.

Tis exactly that one, But still, i've seen nokias, LGs, blackberries use mini-a and to be completely honest it's the first time i've seen that "standard" mini-b, though it may be standard, it's not implemented as standard, look at any smartphone release they all use mini-a like I mention before, except in some cases where propierty, but if not they use the standard usb. Not only that, i'm pretty sure that across the dSLR range they implement "normal" usb connectors. By normal I mean it WILL fit my USB hub and/or I can use the same cable on some other device.

Ay... terribly sorry Wiki can say whatever it wants, This is my first mini-b connector and I have only one cable for it because of that and i've gone from a range of cellphones HTC touch, HTCs710, motorola V3x, Nokia E55, BB curve and now Nokia e63 and none of those had that dumbarse mini-b. So whilst you might be right as it not being proprierty, no reason they couldn't have stuck with what they had implemented on all their other cameras. Long rant short, it doesn't "feel" standard.

/Rant

Tis exactly that one, But still, i've seen nokias, LGs, blackberries use mini-a and to be completely honest it's the first time i've seen that "standard" mini-b, though it may be standard, it's not implemented as standard, look at any smartphone release they all use mini-a like I mention before, except in some cases where propierty, but if not they use the standard usb. Not only that, i'm pretty sure that across the dSLR range they implement "normal" usb connectors. By normal I mean it WILL fit my USB hub and/or I can use the same cable on some other device.

Ay... terribly sorry Wiki can say whatever it wants, This is my first mini-b connector and I have only one cable for it because of that and i've gone from a range of cellphones HTC touch, HTCs710, motorola V3x, Nokia E55, BB curve and now Nokia e63 and none of those had that dumbarse mini-b. So whilst you might be right as it not being proprierty, no reason they couldn't have stuck with what they had implemented on all their other cameras. Long rant short, it doesn't "feel" standard.

/Rant

Errr. I've not seen any smartphones use mini A. HTC by rule use mini B(technically they use USB ex Mini-B, which is mini B compatible), every camera I've seen with the exception of a kodak(I think) bridge camera that used micro-B, my remotes, mp3 players that don't plug right in.

pretty much every handheld host device that use USB over here on this side of the pond use Mini B anyway.

Nokie being the one exception that insist on using the ****ty really flat with long angled edges Mini A plugs.

Mini A and micro B is practically non existant here. It's A, B and mini B

Nikon-D700-ports-375.jpg

is that the same connector you have ? if so it's weird your other devices don't, especially the HTC's since HTC pretty much use their own compatible extension to that plug on their phones.

and the only annoyign this is that it uses the same HDMI C connector as the D90. THAT is annoying, since it's virtually impossible to find A-C or even C anything HDMI cables.

Every handheld device I own (Including previous Nikons/Canon/Sony cameras) have the Mini B outlet - it's a USB standard interface, whether you feel it is or not I'm afraid! laugh.gif

http://upload.wikime...pes-usb_new.svg (damm board don't like svg)

USB_types_2.jpg

My Sony Alpha A200 uses the leftmost connector there (the black one).

Every handheld device I own (Including previous Nikons/Canon/Sony cameras) have the Mini B outlet - it's a USB standard interface, whether you feel it is or not I'm afraid! laugh.gif

How many electronics devices have you purchased in the last year? I have a feeling that the standard plug is shifting to the micro b.

Nikon-D700-ports-375.jpg

is that the same connector you have ? if so it's weird your other devices don't, especially the HTC's since HTC pretty much use their own compatible extension to that plug on their phones.

and the only annoyign this is that it uses the same HDMI C connector as the D90. THAT is annoying, since it's virtually impossible to find A-C or even C anything HDMI cables.

PortsOpen.jpg

Almost, but not quite

My Sony Alpha A200 uses the leftmost connector there (the black one).

grrrrrr for sony

How many electronics devices have you purchased in the last year? I have a feeling that the standard plug is shifting to the micro b.

Erm who him or me :p ?

I'm pretty sure the OP is enquiring about whether the cable he needs is proprietary - as in made and used only by Nikon - which it isn't, it's part of the official USB specification for connectors and the cables are dirt cheap to pick up, so regardless of what is becoming more popular, the cable needed can be purchased from anywhere and is sold by everyone for a few quid/dollars.

Edit: For the record, you're right though - the micro B is now becoming more widely used - it's built to last more plug/unplug cycles than the mini.