Nikon D5000

Draconian Guppy

the guy I quoted, nquinnathome1.

And thanks for finding that photo. I was looking all over google (for about 17 seconds) and couldn't find it lol.

Oh yeah I figured, but Just asked to be safe :p

Just in case nikon d300s

Portsopen-001.jpg

Nikon D3000

ports-001.jpg

D90

ports2-001.jpg

D700

sideconnect2-001.jpg

See? standard! GRRRRRRR nothing like the D5000...

I'm pretty sure the OP is enquiring about whether the cable he needs is proprietary - as in made and used only by Nikon - which it isn't, it's part of the official USB specification for connectors and the cables are dirt cheap to pick up, so regardless of what is becoming more popular, the cable needed can be purchased from anywhere and is sold by everyone for a few quid/dollars.

Edit: For the record, you're right though - the micro B is now becoming more widely used - it's built to last more plug/unplug cycles than the mini.

Yes and No..

Look at my above post, Almost All dSLR high end, mid range or low end ( D3000) Nikon anyways, use what almost any other USb device out there uses, but not the D5000 ! It just doesn't make sense!

TAZMINATOR

I don't use any cables for my camera. I take the memory card out and put it in my laptop or one of my reader devices. Then put it back in my camera.

• Like 1
Draconian Guppy

I don't use any cables for my camera. I take the memory card out and put it in my laptop or one of my reader devices. Then put it back in my camera.

Neither do I, but like my original post says, I had misplaced my memory card reader and had to use the cable. Which is why i'm ranting...

+stereopixels

Ah I understand now! Apologies. I thought you meant it had a Mini B connector, but it's a Micro B. :blush:

That does make sense from a future-proof stand point; as I said previously, the micro is designed to last more mechanical plug/unplug cycles, which would make sense for an item where in semi-professional/professional use thousands of photos can be taken and uploaded every day - unless it's tethered studio shooting, that can add up to quite a bit of wear in a short time.

Draconian Guppy

Ah I understand now! Apologies. I thought you meant it had a Mini B connector, but it's a Micro B. :blush:

That does make sense from a future-proof stand point; as I said previously, the micro is designed to last more mechanical plug/unplug cycles, which would make sense for an item where in semi-professional/professional use thousands of photos can be taken and uploaded every day - unless it's tethered studio shooting, that can add up to quite a bit of wear in a short time.

Yeah I guess so from a future stand point, but from "WTF all my cables are normal usb as are all my other devices :@ " It is certainly irritating.

I have the D5000 and I'm glad it has the micro-USB connector now. It's the new standard:

http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/06/29/apple-to-adopt-micro-usb-for-charging

Tom W. I'm not, I just doesn't make any sense, look at all the other dSLRS some of which were released at the same time with the d5000 and some after! You'd think they'd keep one standard on all cameras if the point was keeping true to a "new standard"

tomwarren

Tom W. I'm not, I just doesn't make any sense, look at all the other dSLRS some of which were released at the same time with the d5000 and some after! You'd think they'd keep one standard on all cameras if the point was keeping true to a "new standard"

Yeah I agree they should have standardised them across the range. The D3000 has a mini USB which is odd.

Draconian Guppy

Yeah I agree they should have standardised them across the range. The D3000 has a mini USB which is odd.

Thank you! :p What gives? I mean what the hell, do they figure "new entry level users will like the smaller connector" BUT enthusiasts/Pros will like "normal" connectors? GRRRRrrr... It just doesn't make sense. Say I had a d700 and a backup D5000? I can't use the same cable on both of them, what if I don't have a sd card reader? un plug one, then plug the other one? I bet there's someone somewhere equally annoyed :p

crazzy88ss

1.) Who woulda thought this thread would get so many replies so quickly.

2.) Why on earth would Nikon make every camera BUT the d5000 use mini USB... Maybe it's the newest designed while the others are still on older designs...? Lets see what they do with the "even" series cameras, the ones that start when the D4 comes out (D400 D800 D4000 D8000 etc).

Draconian Guppy

1.) Who woulda thought this thread would get so many replies so quickly.

2.) Why on earth would Nikon make every camera BUT the d5000 use mini USB... Maybe it's the newest designed while the others are still on older designs...? Lets see what they do with the "even" series cameras, the ones that start when the D4 comes out (D400 D800 D4000 D8000 etc).

1. maybe people thinking i'm just randomly ranting for no reason :p

Nikon D300S - Announced 30-Jul-09

Nikon D3000 - Announced 30-Jul-09

Nikon D5000 - Announced 14-Apr-09

While announce/launch dates don't necessarily mean new design, it's probably an idea, you'd think since the D3000 was announced later it would have the same connector. But it's like you crazzy, we will have to wait and see what happens when they announce new ones...

Luckily SD card readers exist :) If not it would be an RMA issue for me at least :wacko:

crazzy88ss

Nikon D300S - Announced 30-Jul-09

Nikon D3000 - Announced 30-Jul-09

Nikon D5000 - Announced 14-Apr-09

While announce/launch dates don't necessarily mean new design, it's probably an idea, you'd think since the D3000 was announced later it would have the same connector. But it's like you crazzy, we will have to wait and see what happens when they announce new ones...

Dates they announce a product and dates they actually design the hardware can be very different. My dad does design work for Apple, and some products are announced as soon as they're completed, some sit on the shelf for a while before being released. I can only assume every other electronics company does similar things in one way or another.

Draconian Guppy

Dates they announce a product and dates they actually design the hardware can be very different. My dad does design work for Apple, and some products are announced as soon as they're completed, some sit on the shelf for a while before being released. I can only assume every other electronics company does similar things in one way or another.

Completely agree, The only real way to know if they're applying "new" standards is when the new product launches and when that happens if they stick with normal mini-usb, there will be a large nikon post/rant by me :p

crazzy88ss

haha, hopefully they stick w/ the standard mini USB (even though I don't ever use that function) because it's so annoying when they switch things up all the time. It's a giant DSLR, it's not like you're really saving that much space when going from mini to micro :p

Draconian Guppy

haha, hopefully they stick w/ the standard mini USB (even though I don't ever use that function) because it's so annoying when they switch things up all the time. It's a giant DSLR, it's not like you're really saving that much space when going from mini to micro :p

Which is my rant to begin with, I can understand using micro in cellphones because every mm. you save counts, not in dSLRS, maybe in micro-4/3 where the general idea is compact....

Nevermind I'll just keep randomly ranting...

In the meantime, i'll be watching you Nikon! :crazy:

richardsim7

I must admit, I'm very happy with my D5000 :)

Draconian Guppy

I must admit, I'm very happy with my D5000 :)

So am I.... But I just can't get over the mini-b connector :crazy:

• 2 weeks later...
HawkMan

So am I.... But I just can't get over the mini-b connector :crazy:

micro-b

Draconian Guppy

micro-b

Ok Thanks, :crazy: still doesn't change the fact that it's not regular USB :p

HawkMan

Ok Thanks, :crazy: still doesn't change the fact that it's not regular USB :p

That it's not mini-b you mean :p

Draconian Guppy

That it's not mini-b you mean :p

:crazy: Ok, you're just doing this to mess with me huh :p ?

HawkMan

:crazy: Ok, you're just doing this to mess with me huh :p ?

the possibility may be present :p

Draconian Guppy

the possibility may be present :p

You better stop before it's too late, I know where you live :shiftyninja: Location:Norway :laugh:

On topic, man If you asked me in person with all those different type of usb cables, I would probably only know micro-a and mini-b, all the rest I would be like :unsure: