• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

SD Fakes, Do they Exist

MillionVoltss    63

I will be buying a 30mb's memory card and was wondering, do SD fakes exist. If anyone has ways to check they like the pro duo can be checked in a PSP. Also any cheap sellers on amazon marketplace people recommend.

Berserk87    49

yes, there are TONS of "knock off" SD cards.

crazzy88ss    66

just get the sandisk extreme 3 30mb/s edition. problem solved.

highonsnow    15

I assume you're thinking of buying a 32GB card as opposed to a 30mb card :) 30mb won't get ya very far.

crazzy88ss    66

I assume you're thinking of buying a 32GB card as opposed to a 30mb card :) 30mb won't get ya very far.

He's talking about the transfer rate, 30MB per second.

highonsnow    15

That's fair enough if he is, wasn't all that clear in his message though

MillionVoltss    63

:) Agreed, just woke up and my grammar has little to be desired.

30mb's and 8gb capacity.

Argote    73

Well, get it from a reputable seller and you'll be assured to get an original card of whichever brand you choose (get a decent brand as well).

Brandon    299

What do you need 30MB/s cards for though?

Your 500D/T1i won't need that speed. If you had a 1D camera, then yes. Youd be perfectly fine with 20MB/s cards or even slower.

HawkMan    5,232

What do you need 30MB/s cards for though?

Your 500D/T1i won't need that speed. If you had a 1D camera, then yes. Youd be perfectly fine with 20MB/s cards or even slower.

never shot in burst mode have you ?

Brandon    299

never shot in burst mode have you ?

I have. With my 40D I have a 20MB/s card and using the JPEG+L I can continuously shoot for well over two hundred frames without any slow down (done it before shooting a road running race).

Considering the 500D/T1i only shoots at 3.4 frames/second and my 40D shoots at 6.3 FPS, I'm sure that a 20MB/s card would be perfectly fine.

HawkMan    5,232

not sure about canon's naming conventions, but I'm assuming jpeg+l is just large jpegs and not Jpeg+RAW then.

cause if you happen to like shooting raw, you can run out really damn quick.

crazzy88ss    66

Yea some of us like to shoot in RAW... my D90 only gets a pathetic ~8 RAW images before it fills up, and the D3 maxes out at 40 RAW (I think D3s had this buffer increased?).

Draconian Guppy    13,038

Yea some of us like to shoot in RAW... my D90 only gets a pathetic ~8 RAW images before it fills up, and the D3 maxes out at 40 RAW (I think D3s had this buffer increased?).

Ken rockwell says raw is pointless :shiftyninja: :p

/thread hi-jack

Just buy from a reputable seller, like newegg :) or amazon, they've got the best prices usually.

highonsnow    15

I only shoot in RAW.. speed of the card is essential, nothing worse than missing frames during an essential burst!

Brandon    299

I still don't see the point in shooting only RAW. Are you really going to go through and convert every sports photo or every snapshot? Somethings like Weddings, portraits, landscapes etc I can understand... but if you know how to use your camera and set everything right, there isn't much need for everyday photos.

If I shot a single football game only in RAW, that'd be almost 10GB

HawkMan    5,232

you don't need to convert. and you're not going to keep all the photos anyway. and any decent software like lightroom will do the job for you.

why would you NOT want the extra info raw gives you when you can, just get a bridge cam instead if you're not going to shoot raw.

if if you just need the photos real quick, I shoot in raw + high jpeg anyway.

also it's not for everyday sots you'll be using burst anyway. that'd be during sports and other situations where you want to be sure to get the best shot. and you'll want to have as much info in the pic as possible.

highonsnow    15

It's easy to say you'll have your settings bang on for every single shot you take - that's if you have the time to change your exposure in a split second knowing exactly the metering you need - so you shoot in JPEG, to later find out that if only you shot in RAW that you could regain that exposure for that perfect shot....... in an ideal world, and with mountains of time on your hands to check each shot after you've taken them, but sometimes that luxury just isn't there.

Time critical events require RAW.. don't see why that's a problem.

Everyone has a different approach to photography - what do you consider everyday photos?

Brandon    299

you don't need to convert. and you're not going to keep all the photos anyway. and any decent software like lightroom will do the job for you.

why would you NOT want the extra info raw gives you when you can, just get a bridge cam instead if you're not going to shoot raw.

if if you just need the photos real quick, I shoot in raw + high jpeg anyway.

Because its still time consuming. If I have my settings set up already, what is RAW going to do for me?

Going to a bridge cam.... right. Like I'd get any sports shots using a bridge.

• Like 1

highonsnow    15

Every professional photographer shoots in RAW - it's foolish not to. Are you going to do the whole shoot again just because your client wants the images rendered entirely different to what is presented in the JPEG? Adjusting compressed lossy format images is a nightmare, you've obviously not been down that road much before.. that imformation just isn't there in a compressed image, what is stored is literally what you see - you can't pull image detail out of the blue - RAW gives you that massive range of flexibility.

Nobody can trust a camera to take the image precisely how you wanted it, especially in dynamic lighting conditions (you mentioned weddings?)... There is no margin for error - the client is relying on you, you have to deliver.. it's arrogant to claim that you don't need RAW for these situations, of COURSE you do! :)

Why else would the format exist, if it wasn't necessary.

HawkMan    5,232

Not to mention the whole thing was about Burst anyway, the one time you're sure you're never going to know the conditions of every shot and on top of that, you don't know wich of the shots is "THE SHOT".

and then you end up with really great "THE SHOT", except. it's all messed up in exposure, and you shot in jpeg only so you can't fix it because the data isn't there.

highonsnow    15

Exactly.... "what he said". I have come across countless occasions where RAW has been a huge time saver and more often than not, a shot maker. Only process the images you need, archive or remove the unnecessary ones. No big deal.. this goes on every day in the commercial world.

Hobbyists, well that's a different story.

crazzy88ss    66

I still don't see the point in shooting only RAW. Are you really going to go through and convert every sports photo or every snapshot? Somethings like Weddings, portraits, landscapes etc I can understand... but if you know how to use your camera and set everything right, there isn't much need for everyday photos.

If I shot a single football game only in RAW, that'd be almost 10GB

Really...? Aperture/Lightroom converts everything for you automatically when you export. There's no "extra step" or anything like that.

And do you honestly keep 10gb of photos from 1 game? All of my sports games I delete all but the top photos, which ends up being 4-10 photos per game.

And I shoot my indoor games -1 stop to get the extra ISO/shutter speed/fstop, so being able to bring it back to 0.0 through RAW is a huge plus.

carmatic    54

did anyone say 'SD fakes' ?

SDphotoAlbum_1_600x600.jpg

sd_photoalbum_3_600x600.jpg

MR_Candyman    114

I think Brandon just reminded me why I rarely come into this section anymore.

Back to the original post: Yes, fakes do exist, even for the high end cards. Either walk into a reputable store or buy from a reputable online store. Personally, I get all my cards from either Future Shop or Best Buy because I know all their cards are genuine and they're always for a fair price. Not to mention they quite often have unadvertised sales on them (they have the sale price on, but they don't put them in the flyers usually). Not to mention pricing screw ups they have to honor...(I got a 8 gig PNY Optima Pro Secure class 6 card for 5 bucks. Unfortunately it was their last one of I would have bought them out)