windows 7 codec pack

Just one very quick question though - whenever I press pause or play, or seek to another time, I get a little status message in the top left corner of the video - is there anyway to remove that please?

view > options > player > deselect "show OSD (require restart)"

• 3 weeks later...

the only one i use is community codec pack but only if the video files won't work under wmp

I tracked down a crash to an old misregistered 3rd party filter: if anybody crashes the player just using File:Open, I'd be interested in hearing about it. I don't *think* anybody should be shipping that filter any longer, but it'd be good to know if so.

edit: Ah, got it. Certain people redistributing oggds version 0.9.9.5 were shipping an older version (103kb?) with a corrupt string table. The actual 0.9.9.5 binary (232kb?) works fine.

Edited by zachdms

Many thanks ace, I can't seem to find that option on mine though? :( Also grabbed a screenshot to show the green bar at the bottom :(

Not sure about the green bar, but as for the OSD, the option has been moved to the Miscellaneous area of the options dialog. You do need to restart MPC for it to have an effect though :)

Oooh jswalker you are awesome! That worked an absolute treat, thanks so much. Only thing is - I kinda got used to it a little! heh.

The green bar is a real wierd one, only happens with some One Piece videos I have, everything else is fine so no worries :)

Thanks again

I installed the CCC Pack, but the codecs do not load when I watch videos using WMP. They only load when I play using MPC, and the video actually looks better with the codecs loaded. The WMP interface looks so much better though, so how can I force the codecs to load using WMP?

Ditch the codec packs and go for independent media players like VLC, MPC:HC or my personal favourite, Splayer.

interesting that splayer. i gave it a try and this is the only one which plays a 1080 mkv file on my system without lags. (vlc is horrible in that aspect even on 720 mkv and mpchc lags every 10 seconds with the sound!) .

so splayer seems to be really easy on the ressources and its playing the mkv files without lags on my system but i have a small problem still: its very async! any way to fix it? (the file itself is not async)

This argument will never end. I personally have used Shark's codec packs for years now and I've had 0 issues. I spent a lot of time getting everything to look nice on my HTPC and the last thing I want is to default to a player, like MPC, where the interface imitates a WMP from Windows 98.

And I've also tried running just tryouts + ac3filter + a mkv splitter and would always run into some issues with video or audio. Granted something that in the end I could figure out but why spend the time figuring it out when you can install something that will have everything working without much effort

I installed the CCC Pack, but the codecs do not load when I watch videos using WMP. They only load when I play using MPC, and the video actually looks better with the codecs loaded. The WMP interface looks so much better though, so how can I force the codecs to load using WMP?

I believe there are tools that force this to happen. I don't believe this is going to work for the amateur.

Given the abject lack of stability on systems that have had "codec packs" (note use of generic term) installed, quite evidently the Windows team decided that they needed to ensure product stability within WMP and thus it tends to default towards "known good" filters/codecs.

An absolutely sick percentage of crashes in the player are due to bogus third party binaries. Six out of the top ten sources for crashes for WMP in Windows 7 (as of the exact time of this writing) come from codec packs installing broken old binaries. It may be or is sad that there's a level of codec lockdown here, but you can see why they felt that was an important step... and how there's still more work needed. =\

ProTip: Don't go around installing mmswitch.ax or the old oggds.dll . They do bad things. (If you are doing the former, just stop: that code is broken. If you are doing the latter, PM me: there's two potential mitigations you can take advantage of.)

I believe there are tools that force this to happen. I don't believe this is going to work for the amateur.

Given the abject lack of stability on systems that have had "codec packs" (note use of generic term) installed, quite evidently the Windows team decided that they needed to ensure product stability within WMP and thus it tends to default towards "known good" filters/codecs.

An absolutely sick percentage of crashes in the player are due to bogus third party binaries. Six out of the top ten sources for crashes for WMP in Windows 7 (as of the exact time of this writing) come from codec packs installing broken old binaries. It may be or is sad that there's a level of codec lockdown here, but you can see why they felt that was an important step... and how there's still more work needed. =\

ProTip: Don't go around installing mmswitch.ax or the old oggds.dll . They do bad things. (If you are doing the former, just stop: that code is broken. If you are doing the latter, PM me: there's two potential mitigations you can take advantage of.)

Damn I didnt know it would this complicated. You have scared me off. :laugh:

Ditch the codec packs and go for independent media players like VLC, MPC:HC or my personal favourite, Splayer.

I tried that player, looks good so far, with one exception - the mouse pointer won't disappear in full screen mode. Annoying.

Combined Community Codec Pack ..... brilliant .... plays pretty much everything i throw at it!

The only issue I have run into is getting the x86-32 and x86-64 variants of Shark's pack is to play nice with CoreAVC. Without CoreAVC everything is fine and dandy, but as soon as I re-install CoreAVC. Some subtitles on some movies, refuse to work. Annoying issue, but a very minor one. As I have stopped using CoreAVC for now, too bad it was the best with how it did its magic with nVidia CUDA (Y)

Combined Community Codec Pack ..... brilliant .... plays pretty much everything i throw at it!

Sulphy-Thanks for the excellent codec ref. Then...

OMG- Your tag line-I nearly fell out of my chair I laughed so hard. Kitty-peanut butter and toast. One very messy meal, Similar to a comment a colleague made a few years ago about what a pain it was to deal with several corporate VP's at a conference-Like trying to herd cats. Nasty

Why not install Haali Media Splitter? Seriously. You can install that and nothing else, and WMP will play MKVs just fine. There is no need for any codec packs or things like ffdshow. If you happen to have audio problems with an MKV, it's almost always solved with AC3Filter. If you need subtitles, DirectVobSub takes care of that.

These are the only three things 99.87% of people need to install to play almost anything with WMP.

If you use the Haali splitter than you must use a DirectShow H.264 decoder which isn't optimal on Windows 7. However, with the DivX MKV filter you will be able to use the Windows 7 built-in Media Foundation H.264 decoder which is faster and newer (DXVA v2.0, etc).

My thoughts on what to install (using only WMP 12) on a fresh Windows 7 setup.

- DivX Plus Codec Pack

- AC3Filter

OR

- CoreAVC

OR

- FFdshow

- Haali Media Splitter

- DirectVobSub

- AC3Filter

If you use the Haali splitter than you must use a DirectShow H.264 decoder which isn't optimal on Windows 7. However, with the DivX MKV filter you will be able to use the Windows 7 built-in Media Foundation H.264 decoder which is faster and newer (DXVA v2.0, etc).

It's the same code that is used for both the Media Foundation transform and the DMO in 7, and I'm pretty sure it supports DXVA 2 in both cases.

Not that an MKV source for MF wouldn't be nice, but the last time I tried the DivX one, it was pretty ****ty.