1992 Ford Explorer for $200?

My sister wants to get rid of her 1992 Ford Explorer for $200. The thing still runs / looks great and she drives it all over the place. It's tempting, but here are the issues:

Has 183K.

"minor" oil leak.

When put in reverse, it JERKS back real quick, then proceeds to back up. Going forward does not have this problem. It's been like that the whole time she's had it.

Needs to be inspected.

That's about it. Perhaps new breakpads or something.

Should I go for it? I've ridden in it before, it still feels strong. But the whole reverse issue sounds like the transmission is giving out or something. Not sure if it'll pass inspection with that...

Thoughts?

Honestly, if you know your way around cars it sounds like a great deal. If you don't, then it might not be worth it. The jerking when going into reverse could be caused by bad mator and/or transmission mount(s), failing u-joint(s), or if you hear noises while driving, it could be a worn rear end.

I have 2003 with about 120KM and it is okay. For 200 bucks what do have to lose.

I mean it is pretty much a disposable vehicle as long as it is safe.

Probably worth more as scrap or parts.

It's $200. Don't even bother fixing it. If the transmission dies, scrap it. When it needs new tires, scrap it. Seriously, there is no harm in getting it. Insurance will be dirt cheap too.

It's a good deal if it will pass inspection. You can likely pay off your local mechanic to make that happen. Fords were not that great back than, so for that mileage, be prepared for a headache to keep it running.

Edit: Was your sister the sole owner? Did she take it for it's regular oil changes?

It's a good deal if it will pass inspection. You can likely pay off your local mechanic to make that happen. Fords were not that great back than, so for that mileage, be prepared for a headache to keep it running.

Edit: Was your sister the sole owner? Did she take it for it's regular oil changes?

Thanks for the advice, all.

Last year she bought it off craigslist for $500, lol. So no, not the sole owner. But she always replaced the oil since it has a leak.

The motor jerking back when backing could just be - the motor or transmission mount. You should have someone you trust and stand to the side- with the hood up check to see if it is the motor moving. You should see it tilt if it is the motor mount. Though for 200$ you can't expect much especially if it runs and does not smoke and the body is in somewhat good condition.

Now as far as the oil leak it could be a valve cover gasket which would probably cost you in labor and parts as much as you pay for the car.

For $200 you cant go wrong. If it does break down, you could always part it out and make your money back plus some. I work on cars all day long, and the most common oil leak from a ford in general is either a rear main seal(where your crank meets the flywheel) or an oil pan gasket. The latter is cheaper and easier to fix, but both neither are THAT serious. I say buy it!! LOL

Awesome, I think I'm gonna' get it. I'm going to ask my Uncle (owns a tow-truck place and does inspections) to check it out for me before I make the final decision I guess. Since it's already passed inspection, is my only choice to have it towed to the closest dealer? I'm not sure if my uncle is gonna' do me the favor of doing everything for free, lol. The inspection place is only about 20 minutes or less from the truck's current location; I could probably drive it without being caught... Not sure if I want to risk it, though.

Options?

1. Photoshop an inspection sticker :rofl:

2. Do what my dad did - put a winston cigarette box behind the windshield's inspection sticker. Somehow that worked for a few years...

3. Perhaps a legal option I don't know about?

umm...don't know for sure about your state, but it should be legal to drive to get it inspected.

Yeah, I'm not sure either. Google's not turning up any results, either. Or maybe I'm just typing the wrong keywords...

I would go for it. $200 is a great deal, even if it ends up being junk, you could still scrap it for parts (surely it must have something good in it). But like others said mileage probably isn't the greatest, but for $200 who cares?

Just got off the phone with uncle mechanic... Said he just had another explorer come into his shop with the same clunky reverse problem. Turns out it was a broken chain and wasn't worth fixing apparently, but he told me he'll take a look at it and to drop the truck off at night to avoid being seen by cops :p

Just got off the phone with uncle mechanic... Said he just had another explorer come into his shop with the same clunky reverse problem. Turns out it was a broken chain and wasn't worth fixing apparently, but he told me he'll take a look at it and to drop the truck off at night to avoid being seen by cops :p

Yeah here in Pa it is illegal to drive without the inspection. You are not going that far though and a cop would have to be really bored and have Chuck Yeager type eyesight to spot the inspection sticker and pull you just for that. Even if they did pull you over the fact that you just bought it and are taking it to the inspection place would probably be enough for most police. After dark it would be nearly impossible to spot.

dude. you could sell the thing for scrap and get more I bet. do it!

hell I payed $900 for my 73 jeep wagoneer. but it had less miles(180k) and and runs great. well till me and my friend started doing stuff to it. like replacing the drum breaks with discs, and rasing it 4''. the only thing thing that needs to be replaced is the floorboard. and thats cheap as hell to replace.

but damn. im glad i dont have to go though DEQ or w/e its called. it would NEVER pass that