WWDC Summary

Here's a summary of everything that went down at this years WWDC Keynote.

Full details below:

First things first, Panther. The next generation of OS X was previewed by CEO of Apple Steve Jobs. He started with the obligatry facts and figures:

• 3800 developers have attended the Keynote
  • 300,000 Airport Extremes have shipped
  • 58 Apple retail stores: 17 million visitors so far
  • Later today Apple will ship its one millionth iPod
  • Apple has sold 5 million songs on its online music store
  • 5 million Safari beta downloads since January

On that note, he turned to Safari first of all announcing that v1.0 will be available in a few hours and along with it will be the Safari SDK allowing developers to take advantage of Apples hard work with the web framework.

Without further ado he continued onto what we thought would be the main attraction. Mac OS X 10.3 Panther, the next evolution in Mac OS. He started with announcing that OS X is the worlds most popular UNIX and that X11 will be bundled with OS X 10.3 and synced with BSD 5.0. Along with this he said that OS X 10.3 will offer even more interoperability with Windows in the following areas:

• SMB printing
  • SMB home directory
  • new IPSec-based VPN
  • better Active Directory integration

Panther has a brand new finder, putting the user in the middle of the user experience, all storage, iDisk, home directory, etc. will be in the left column of a window, like the playlist column of iTunes. Labels also make a welcome return. File searching is "really fast" now, too. There's also a new "action button" that's context-sensitive and will show actions that you can perform on the selected item (e.g., Get Info). New open/save panels.

From there Jobs demonstrated the new improved iDisk. In Panther any changes made to your iDisk will automatically sync in the background. Your iDisk becomes "basically a local folder that syncs." When you're not on a network, and you make changes to a document offline, it'll automatically re-sync with your .mac iDisk when you're online again.

Next up he shows off an entirely new feature that was present in the leaked screenshots, Expose. For those of us who end up with tons of windows all over the desktop. First of all he ran an AppleScript to open up lots of windowshe then moves his mouse to a corner of the screen, and all the windows on the screen shrink and essentially tile. Everything behind the semi-thumbnailed windows is darkened and you then can pick a window to work on from these "thumbnails," and there are rollovers as you scroll over the windows. Click, and it brings that window to the foreground. You can toggle this by using a screen corner, or a second button on a two-button mouse.

He's then demonstrates another way of using Expose. You can assign a button to quickly clear away all windows on the desktop (they "fly off to the nearest corner") so you can see your desktop. After you do, your windows fly back into place.

Another new feature this time, well, at least to Mac OS X. This has been available in Windows XP for almost 2 years and makes a welcome debut on the Mac OS, Filevault. Steve says it's a "response to companies worried about sensitive information on notebooks that could fall into the wrong hands if stolen." One checkbox turns File Vault off or on; it encrypts every file in your home directory in the background.

Yet another element of Windows XP that was stolen (come on guys, where's the originality :p ) is fast user switching. It's got the typical Apple touch with the screen morphing into a cube when you switch users, no doubt helped by the new G5's (more about that later ;) ).

The application with the biggest upgrade of the day was iChat, now upgraded to iChat AV. It allowed Audio and Video conferencing via a zero configuration interface, all you need is their buddy name. Now they couldn't allow video conferencing without a camera could they? Of course not. Introducing iSight, the eyes and ears of iChat AV. FMV at up to 30 FPS, 640x480 with 24-bit color, auto-exposure and auto-focus, dual-element microphone, and one FireWire cable brings video and audio; available from today for $149.

Last up was the biggie, PowerMac G5.

The Power Mac G5 is the world?s fastest personal computerb> anthe first with a 64-bit processorb> ? which means it breaks the 4 gigabyte barrier and can use up to 8 gigabytes of main memory. The new G5 processor ? available at speeds up to dual 2GHz with a new ultrahigh-bandwidth system architecture featuring AGP 8X and PCI-X ? makes the Power Mac G5 a breakthrough in desktop processingAnd models starts at just $1999.999.

Can you say yum?

WWDC9.jpg

Here's a nice picture of the PowerMac G5, click the thumb for the full 1522 * 1700 (~1MB):

PowerMacG5Thumb.jpg

Steve went old skool, it was bake off time. They haven't been able to do thilonglong time and now they could. The test machines wDual(1000MHz FSB)FSB), Dual 3.06G(533MHz FSB)FSB) from Dell and a Single P4(800MHz FSB)FSB). i>.

You can read the spec stats on the PowerMac page, but here's the real life resuPhotoshop - 2.1x faster

Luxology - 2.3x faster

Wolfram - 2.3x fasterster

In summary he said "Apple has caught up... and surpassed the PC."

I wonder why the new Powermac doesn't allow for the addition of a second optical drive...hmm

i'll be waiting for the Safari 1.0 update tonight.. :D

Yeah, I just saw that.

My thoughts on Expose:

I've had my Mac for the last three weeks now, and the one thing I missed from Windows was the 'desktop' button. In OSX, if all your windows are maximized, you need to sort through them all because there is no 'taskbar' equivalent. Now that we have Expose, we get all that and more, in a more effective package. My question is....why did it take Apple so long to do it?

my thoughts on the g5 case: at first i didnt like it all that much, but seeing the official apple pics, and seeing it up close (seeing the mesh) I love it, absolutely and completely.

hey guys, that comparison shot of the pc and g5, from the side, showing the clutter, is that with everything plugged in?? i don't see any cables...

I can actually go to the store and buy a G5 now. Will it just not ship until August some time? Nowhere in the process of ordering does it say the system is NOT currently available...

that's absolutely amazing then. i was plugging in a third hard drive in my pc last nice, and even with a full tower, it's a mess in there. 2 optical drives, 3 hard drives, and floppy drive, plus power for everything and the fans. it's a zoo.

hey guys, that comparison shot of the pc and g5, from the side, showing the clutter, is that with everything plugged in?? i don't see any cables...

Looks amazing ! .. internaly its a work of art, a pc modder would be proud of that !

Yup! Also, the sleek new case helps cool down the computer and now it's three times as quiet than the G4! Amazing!

amazing indeed

Ya, the developer discount would help alot. I think the case looks good too, but I do think that it does not match the rest of apple hardware such as the monitors, so I am wondering what is going to happen with that.

All in alll, it was a great day. I can't wait for tommorow. I really hope that they will do some updating on the power book side.

Did I hear Steve right in that the G5's won't be available until August? I'm surprised you can order one now.

The lack of clutter is thanks to the S-ATA. Hopefully S-ATA will become a little more previlant now that Apple has chosen to support it. In regards to the benchmarks, I'd really be interested to see how it stacks up against the Opteron. Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but, the Xeon isn't exactly new technology.

Regardless, it looks like a nice machine, and not only a great step forward for Apple, but also for computing, in general.

$1599, $1919, $2399 with the student developer discount. Plus $100.

I'm soooo gettin' one of these. Who wants my iMac? :D

Now I face a choice:

? 1.6GHz PowerPC G5b>

? 512MB DDR333 SDRAM (PC2700) - 2 DIMMs

? 80GB Serial ATA

? DVD/CD-RW

? NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra 64MB, ADC/DVI

? Apple Keyboard

? Mac OS

? One FireWire 800 port

? Two FireWire 400 ports

? Three USB 2.0 Subtotal ?1,356.01 ubtotal ?1,356.0? 1.8GHz PowerPC G5?? 1.8GHz PowerPC G5

? 512MB DDR400 SDRAM (PC3200) - 2 DIMMs

? 160GB Serial ATA

? DVD/CD-RW

? NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra 64MB, ADC/DVI

? Apple Keyboard

? Mac OS

? One FireWire 800 port

? Two FireWire 400 b>Subtotal ?1,539.orts

? Apple Mob>? Dual 2GHz PowerPC >

? Dual 2GHz PowerPC G5

? 512MB DDR400 SDRAM (PC3200) - 2 DIMMs

? 160GB Serial ATA

? DVD/CD-RW

? ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 64MB, ADC/DVI

? Apple Keyboard

? Mac OS

? One FireWire 800 porb>Subtotal ?1,952.rts

? Three USB 2.0 ports

? Apple Mouse

Subtotal ?1,952.71

I'm not sure if I'd ever use the Dual 2GHz to it's full potential. They're all up for grabs, but I think the 1.8 would be the wisest choice for me. I wish they done benchmarks on the lower end models as well.

Yeah, the 1.8 beefed up with Radeon 9800 and 1GB of RAM might be a better choice for alot of us...

I'm gonna get one of these babies when I'm off to some sort of university (in little over a year), so I can get the student discount. Hopefully the 3 Ghz model will be out by then so the rest will have gone down in price.