Should Windows 8 be just 64 bit?

633 members have voted

1. 1. Which architectures should Windows 8 support?

I think we should be able to run windows 3.1 programs in windows 8 becuase then the banks would be able to leap to the 20th centrury. LOL........

so they would support ARM after all. look like it would take the place of the 32bit(x86) :p

i am a bit surprised , how would something like office or windows live run on it ? as they have dependent on x86?

not to sound like a n00b,

but what the hell is /s ?

sarcastic

so they would support ARM after all. look like it would take the place of the 32bit(x86) :p

i am a bit surprised , how would something like office or windows live run on it ? as they have dependent on x86?

They demonstrated an ARM compiled version of office in the keynote. Basically the software would have to be recompiled for the ARM architecture.

i thought it ment sarcastic.

the whole recompiling everything that sounds easy and it is easy.

but im sure hardly anything software including driver wise woulld be compiled for ARM

and honestly windows is WAY to massive for such a thing in the first place

but im sure hardly anything software including driver wise woulld be compiled for ARM

manufacturers would start with

All in one computer + laptops/netbook

so i am sure they would , can't see them ship something with missing functionality

we are talking about Microsoft and windows

so sure enough , support would be there in no time!

yeah, support would be there.

for computers that USE the default configuration

i dont see ATI / NVIDIA support for mainstream gpus in a long time

and other off the shelf drivers like printers for a very long time

The longer 32-bit flavours of any Windows OS are beating around the bush, the more of an excuse there is for developers not to write native 64-bit applications. As there is currently no 64-bit VB6 compiler, applications that are compiled with it are pegged back straight away.

Just 64-bit, because ...

- driver support

- ram is cheap

Now with all the different versions, won't support (and third-party support) be easier if you just need 64-bit drivers to worry about?

I think we should be able to run windows 3.1 programs in windows 8 becuase then the banks would be able to leap to the 20th centrury. LOL........

Actually, you can (at least three different ways; four if you have support for hardware virtualization) run not just Windows 3.x applicaitons, but Windows 3.x itself, in 7 x64.

1. Windows Virtual PC. No-cost (free) option for 7 Professional/Enterprise/Ultimate x32/x64. In addition to XPMode, it can run most other operating systems in virtual machines (it is also the only VM software to support OS/2 without requiring hardware virtualization).

2. Oracle VirtualBox. Supports other versions of Windows as a host OS (also supports Linux distributions and Solaris as a host); except for OS/2 (VB requires hardware virtualization support), it has the same guest support as Windows Virtual PC (and, like Windows Virtual PC, it's free).

3. VMware Player and Workstation - the long-time standard in virtualization software. The Player is free (however, Workstation is commercial software). Player can be used to run VMs created by other editions of VMware; Workstation can import virtual hard drives (VHDs) from other VM software (notably Windows Virtual PC or Oracle Virtual Box). Also, like Oracle Virtual Box, OS/2 support requires hardware virtualization.)

4. Parallels Workstation. The Windows version of Mac VM software standard Parallels Desktop, and thus is becoming a fixture in mixed Mac and PC companies. Like VMware Workstation, this is commercial software. Despite a lower price than VMware Workstation, unless your company also has Macs, I would find it difficult to recommend Parallels Workstation instead of VMware Workstation (especially if you have a server version of VMware installed somewhere).

There are doubtless other options (notably, bochs) - I just presented the most newbie-friendly four.