Ubuntu to (finally) drop Human theme

To be perfectly fair, I think Human and its derivatives were very distinctive, making Ubuntu the only major OS themed to look like dirt. Then again, if you ever want to fly, you can't be too attached to the ground. :p

Hang on, don't you need to install the restricted extras to enable MP3 support?

Ubuntu comes with mp3 support ootb as far as I know.

It shouldn't be made the default, as there are much better themes available, but I also don't think it should be removed entirely. Keep it around for those who like it... Having more choice is always a good thing.

Glad to hear this.. the Human theme has aged Ubuntu so much. Hopefully they can get something modern and fresh looking in it's place.. will help 'sell' Ubuntu no end :)

It doesn't.

Just clicking an mp3 it will prompt to automatically download the correct codec. Even if it doesn't come out of the box it takes no effort to get support for it.

Wow! It's about damn time! I can only hope the new look is inspired by the 'elementary' project, as that's one of the best GTK themes I've ever used. Also, the music store seems like a great idea. I wonder if it's going to be a tie-in with Amazon...

Just clicking an mp3 it will prompt to automatically download the correct codec. Even if it doesn't come out of the box it takes no effort to get support for it.

Depends on your definition of "support".

You do exactly what's descripted here, and this only work if you allow the access to the universe section.

"universe" component

The universe component is a snapshot of the free, open source, and Linux world. In universe you can find almost every piece of open source software, and software available under a variety of less open licences, all built automatically from a variety of public sources. The basic toolchain and system libraries from main are still used to build this software and it is normally maintained in step with them, so it should install and work well with the software in main, but it comes with no guarantee of security fixes and support. The universe component includes thousands of pieces of software. Through universe, users are able to have the diversity and flexibility offered by the vast open source world on top of a stable Ubuntu core.

Canonical does not provide a guarantee of regular security updates for software found in universe but will provide these where they are made available by the community. Users should understand the risk inherent in using packages from the universe component.

Popular or well supported pieces of software will move from universe into main if they are backed by maintainers willing to meet the standards set for main by the Ubuntu team.

Package: gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly (0.10.13-2) [universe] -> This packages contains plugins from the "ugly" set, a set of good-quality plug-ins that might pose distribution problems.

mp3jauntythumb06.png

So unless you live on Mars or get the properly licensed packages, you'll be always at risk.

tl;dr : RMS has spoken. 382.jpeg

MP3 instead of AAC? that's a bit silly.

MP3 costs more and is of a lower quality than AAC (being much older, that isn't really surprising)

I'd prefer it to be in Vorbis over MP3.

Hell no! AAC is so much more expensive than MP3 or AAC; there is a reason why MP3 has hung around for so long; its good enough technology, the cost of licencing is cheaper and it is more widely used than AAC.

As for 'lower quality' - I suggest you use lame 3.98.2 set to -q 2 and -V 0 and then come back and claim it to be inferior by a noticeable margin.

As for Vorbis; it isn't widely used by mp3 players.

Hang on, don't you need to install the restricted extras to enable MP3 support?

Nope, because the codec provided is royalty free playback due to the plugin created by Fluendo which was co-sponsored by Novell. Its been that way for ages. The only thing you do need to download separately is mp3 encoding support which is easily done. Personally though I find Soundjuicer crap and prefer using Grip ( http://nostatic.org/grip/ )

Hell no! AAC is so much more expensive than MP3 or AAC; (...) the cost of licencing is cheaper and it is more widely used than AAC.

The cost of licensing is higher on the MP3 technology.

MP3 -> encoding + decoding + streaming/distribution

AAC -> encoding + decoding

Nope, because the codec provided is royalty free playback due to the plugin created by Fluendo which was co-sponsored by Novell. Its been that way for ages. The only thing you do need to download separately is mp3 encoding support which is easily done. Personally though I find Soundjuicer crap and prefer using Grip ( http://nostatic.org/grip/ )

Issues to be aware of

If you are living in a country where the MP3 patents don't apply, you are entitled to use the source code provided by Fluendo (or anyone else) to get legal MP3 support onto your Unix/GNU/Linux desktop.

In contrast, if you live in a country where patents do apply, or if you are a distribution maker working in countries where the patents apply, you need the licensed binary from Fluendo. If this is the case, please be aware that, even if our binary is made from MIT licensed source code, the resulting binary, combined with our license, is not free software, at least not GPL-compatible. This means that if you ship GStreamer with our binary MP3 plug-in, you need to be sure that you don't ship any GPL-licensed plug-ins that could end up being used together with the MP3 plug-in, as this would be a violation of the GPL. You also need to make sure you don't ship any GPL-licensed players which would use this plug-in.

Fortunately, most GStreamer plug-ins are LGPL, and many of the playback applications come with licensing terms that allow them to be used with non-free plug-ins. The Totem media player and the Banshee music player are two examples.

Still a trap.

Depends on your definition of "support".

You do exactly what's descripted here, and this only work if you allow the access to the universe section.

Package: gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly (0.10.13-2) [universe] -> This packages contains plugins from the "ugly" set, a set of good-quality plug-ins that might pose distribution problems.

mp3jauntythumb06.png

So unless you live on Mars or get the properly licensed packages, you'll be always at risk.

tl;dr : RMS has spoken. 382.jpeg

Have you used ubuntu recently?. because I know from experience all you do is open an mp3 file and it will automatically prompt to download the correct codec. All you have to do is click yes. they may have fixed that bug mentioned in that link because I used 9.10 and it seemed to work fine.

I'm hoping for a grey/blackish default theme. And please, NO ROUND CORNERS on the windows! Or massive borders! I get enough of those on Seven.

I wouldn't know from experience, because I enable Medibuntu repositories to get multimedia support anyway, but I don't remember anyone complaining about mp3 support EVER. And as far as I know, the patent thing applies to US citizens only.

Regarding Ogg support, I browsed for some info on 7Digital, I think they need to offer mp3's because different labels in different countries have different policies when it comes to DRM -- unfortunately, depending on where you live, some music will come with DRM still. Not to mention most mp3 players don't support Ogg. FLAC would be nice, though.

I'm hoping for a grey/blackish default theme. And please, NO ROUND CORNERS on the windows! Or massive borders! I get enough of those on Seven.

I used to use a theme with Beryl called Scaled_Black_Mod. It sounds like it suits your needs perfectly.

Human wasn't too bad imo, it's nice to know they are going with something new tho. Hopefully this becomes a trend, every 5 years design something new and implement it. It would also be nice if they incorporated many of the user submitted content, just like they did with karmic. Hopefully the new theme will show up in Alpha 3...

Have you used ubuntu recently?.

Almost everyday, since its first release.

because I know from experience all you do is open an mp3 file and it will automatically prompt to download the correct codec. All you have to do is click yes.

Yes and no.

Yes to what you said about click'n'install'n'go.

No to "all you have to do is to click yes". You can click, if you are eligible for it, and that's the whole problem (it's written in my post).

they may have fixed that bug mentioned in that link because I used 9.10 and it seemed to work fine.

The bug wasn't reproducible. Only a few were affected, for some reason.

And as far as I know, the patent thing applies to US citizens only.

I used to think the same, but I was wrong. These patents affects several countries: USA, Mexico, Canada, EU, India, Japan, Korea, Argentina, Brasil, Singapore, China, Russia, Malaysia...

It doesn't stop you from doing it if you are in any of those countries.

Like anything else in life, you decide what you want to do, and deal with its consequences. But can't ever say that it was due to lack of information.