Ubuntu to (finally) drop Human theme

Isn't that what virtual machines are for?

I like to see how it will actually run on my hardware. And its easy to remove it, delete the partition, run easybcd, restart, bam.

I honestly can't put my finger on it as to why exactly, but somehow those themes don't come nowhere near the level of refinement of both Mac OS X' Aqua and Windows Aero. Can't even call this a real improvement, it looks like some different image files were slapped onto the same old stuff. Like applying an enthusiasts theme to some browser.

And really, pixelated corners in 2010...?! Wow.

brand.png

Agreed. It just looks very sloppily done.

Do they still call the mac os x theme "aqua"? seemed more chrome to me than anything else. I actually didnt see any aqua or even blue color in the theme besides the layout and maybe scroll. I honestly find the entire grey look ugly.

Aqua's just a codename that's stuck around. It really stemmed from the look of the buttons and the scrollbars (which have been refined from the original iteration, but are still in the same spirit to this day). Also, to each is own about the ugliness. I find Aqua very beautiful and functional and think Aero is the most headache-inducing UI ever conceived. :p

I honestly can't put my finger on it as to why exactly, but somehow those themes don't come nowhere near the level of refinement of both Mac OS X' Aqua and Windows Aero. Can't even call this a real improvement, it looks like some different image files were slapped onto the same old stuff. Like applying an enthusiasts theme to some browser.

And really, pixelated corners in 2010...?! Wow.

brand.png

Couldn't agree more, and I mentioned this in another topic on the subject. Either anti-alias those corners (I'm not computer wiz, but honestly, is it that hard to do?) or just go with squared windows. I hated the terribly rounded corners in Ubuntu's Human theme that I had to download some third-party theme called "Human-Squared" just to make the windows not look like crap.

Mac OS X carries them on the left as well, I have no issues with that. It's basically what you're used to.

screenshot20100303at221.png

Again, it's a non-issue. I've used Mac OS X for so long that the window widgets on the top left is what I'm used to, although I just use keyboard shortcuts anyway. And Windows has them in the top-right... Again, I know exactly where they are without looking but still use the keyboard.

I don't really care for the new themes. The purple seems really out of place and the dialogue boxes look hastily done. I thought they were going to use "Sorbet". :(

To be honest, I've always liked the human theme. It'll be sad to see it go.

I have always like the Human themes as well down the years. I am using the current one now. Neowin even has a brown theme for its site, which goes well with the current Ubuntu Human theme.

I do like the new look, though. The wallpapers never bother me in any case as I always change them. And I do go through periods where I use Clearlooks (whitish and bluish) on Ubuntu.

I have always like the Human themes as well down the years. I am using the current one now. Neowin even has a brown theme for its site, which goes well with the current Ubuntu Human theme.

I do like the new look, though. The wallpapers never bother me in any case as I always change them. And I do go through periods where I use Clearlooks (whitish and bluish) on Ubuntu.

Clearlooks with Elementary icons should've been a main theme! :)

The pixel-corners are there because the Gnome mailing-list bigots never really have bothered to try to add support for anti-aliasing in gtk-window-decorator. I also wonder what will happen when they release Gnome 3 as currently gnome-shell is a complete waste, mess, worst interface ever. :( I hope some devs can fork Gnome 2 and make it a bit more modern instead.

@bjoswald: Take a look at Lubuntu ;)

@lassekongo83: Am I the only one who likes gnome-shell? Sure, it's early in development, but so far it's fine for me, I'd even use it fulltime if it had a few features added and a few bugs removed.

Regarding theme, I like it a lot. But I'm sure they will polish it by the time of the release.

So the new themes are available in the 10.04 alpha update yesterday. Looks pretty good. Funny part is they did have the buttons on the right hand side, then released another update an hour or so later that had the buttons moved to the left side.

they look good though, but agreed it needs some anti aliasing or something for the rounded corners

Anti-aliasing the corners requires RGBA visuals, and a driver that doesn't crap out while handling them. Of course, most new drivers don't have any issue with it, it mainly comes down to speed.

So the new themes are available in the 10.04 alpha update yesterday. Looks pretty good. Funny part is they did have the buttons on the right hand side, then released another update an hour or so later that had the buttons moved to the left side.

they look good though, but agreed it needs some anti aliasing or something for the rounded corners

I've had a good look at the new themes in a VM yesterday. Colour me unimpressed. Yes, I realise that there will be more refinement of the new themes before the release of 10.04. But still. This is the best Canonical could come up with for the new default theme? Mmmmk.

In my opinion they should have used a variant of the 'Elementary' theme. Just compare the screenshot below to the screenshots of the new Ubuntu defaults:

screenshot_002.png

I was also hoping that the new default would be elementary (btw it got updated today), love that theme, but I don't mind the new ones, they're good enough, miles ahead of Human, and with better metacity buttons, might even become great.

I've had a good look at the new themes in a VM yesterday. Colour me unimpressed. Yes, I realise that there will be more refinement of the new themes before the release of 10.04. But still. This is the best Canonical could come up with for the new default theme? Mmmmk.

In my opinion they should have used a variant of the 'Elementary' theme. Just compare the screenshot below to the screenshots of the new Ubuntu defaults:

screenshot_002.png

Holy macbook batman..

Can you tell me how to get mine to look like that? I am running 10.04, I want the theme, dock, gmail checker, etc..

Just google elementary theme ppa, add the ppa, install it, select it from desktop properties. As for the dock, look for Docky in Ubuntu Software Center, it landed in 10.04's official repositories just recently I think.

Ubuntu should get its own unique look, not a mediocre rip-off of an interface designed and paid for by another company.