There are many great features available to you once you register at Neowin, including:

• Richer content, access to many features that are disabled for guests like commenting on the front page
  • Access to a great community, with a massive database of experience on hard & software issues, gaming and recreational activities, and more
  • Access to the Neowin IRC - you could make a friend from across the world and talk to them live
  • Access to Neowin contests & subscription offers and forums that are not open to guests/li>
  • It's simple, and FREE! · Register here

Rendering / Compression with Sony Vegas 9.0 Pro

Hey guys,

Today I started messing around with some FRAPS recorded footage and got to the point of rendering the footage. I did a custom template with my desired resolution and noticed under "Video Format" which I believe is the compression codec used, the choices were pretty slim. So I stuck with the default "Sony YUV Codec" and the rendered file is huge - Over 1GB for barely 40 seconds of footage. Using some of the other codecs aren't much better, half the size but also loss of colours etc.

I'm guessing I need to install additional codecs to have them show up under "Video Format", in that case, I need some suggestions for the most common used for the best output; size and quality. I don't like Codec Packs very much so individual codecs are preferred.

Perhaps outputting a massive file and then encoding it later with something like Handbrake is better?

Sorry for sounding like a complete amateur but that's because I am :laugh:

You shouldn't need to use another program to encode again; You can do it all within Sony Vegas, so do it all within there.

@mistical messes around with Sony Vegas more than I (I just screw around in Premiere or I make him do my videos) so I'll show him this thread to help you out.

What are your codec choices?

Codecs.png

You shouldn't need to use another program to encode again; You can do it all within Sony Vegas, so do it all within there.

@mistical messes around with Sony Vegas more than I (I just screw around in Premiere or I make him do my videos) so I'll show him this thread to help you out.

Exactly, that's what I thought but you never know :)

And that'd be very much appreciated (Y)

The problem is you are using the AVI file container, which uses codecs provided by the operating system. On the Render As window, if you change the file format you can use the other codecs associated with those formats, for example using the Sony or MainConcept AVC file formats allows you to encode in the high quality H264 codec.

The problem is you are using the AVI file container, which uses codecs provided by the operating system. On the Render As window, if you change the file format you can use the other codecs associated with those formats, for example using the Sony or MainConcept AVC file formats allows you to encode in the high quality H264 codec.

Ah, excellent! I just rendered a video using the MainConcept AVC - While it gave me no codec choices, the default encode is great. A high quality, 9mb file (Y)

That is more than adequate for my needs, so thank you very much and thank you Cupcakes as well.

Although, I have a bonus question. When doing Slow-motion video with Sony Vegas, why doesn't it do like every other piece of software and changes the pitch of the audio? Instead it creates some sort of horrible reverberation. EDIT: I found it in the options menu, uncheck "Preserve Pitch when stretching"

Since you have already found the answer you have looking for, remember you can customize and make more templates based off of MainConcept AVC/AAC. This is the only codec I will use while compressing my uncompressed captures from Xbox 360 (all in HD).

If you are going to upload it to YouTube and such, I recommend using the Main profile over Baseline, it has been so long since I have seen the defaults so I am not sure which is defaulted first. In the past, I have no idea now, YouTube did not like the Baseline profile. You can pretty much leave everything else the same, just depends what you want the width/height to be or if keeping the same. Then what the max/avg bit rate will be. I do not know your source bit rate but you an example of what I use is 9MB bit rate coming from a source rate of around 285MB.