Sony LCD TV firmware update

I have a Sony LCD 46Z4100 TV and today when I turned on the TV this morning I received a mandatory firmware update message and it proceed with the update on it's own.

I don't have Internet and the only input source is my home made HDTV antenna. So is this possible that Sony is putting out firmware updates over the air?

My firmware became FE-1.96_BE-1.429c

has anyone experienced this or have any insight?

Firmware update for a TV? Weird! I have a USB port on my Samsung TV for firmware updates, but Samsung never used it. Rarely do TVs need updating, unlike Blu-ray players.

Yes, firmware for TV is actually pretty common now. Turns out there has even been a firmware update for your Samsung - http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/tv-video/televisions/lcd-tv/LN32A450C1DXZA/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&tab=support

i have never heard of TV firmware OTA. if this is true, its one of the first i would say. update for all electronics' firmware comes out quite often. a lot of people dont bother ever to check or to update. However, most of these update are done through JTAG or USB(as of newer models) but never heard of it OTA. do you by any chance having something else made by sony connected to it like a PS3 which maybe able to detect the TV and download the update for it?

i have never heard of TV firmware OTA. if this is true, its one of the first i would say. update for all electronics' firmware comes out quite often. a lot of people dont bother ever to check or to update. However, most of these update are done through JTAG or USB(as of newer models) but never heard of it OTA. do you by any chance having something else made by sony connected to it like a PS3 which maybe able to detect the TV and download the update for it?

My new television does OTA updates. I setup the internet connection and it was able to directly download the update. :) It is the Samsung UN40B7000. :)

I have my PS3 connected but as I said before I don't have Internet or any other source other than the antenna. I'm coming to the conclusion that these firmware updates are piggy backing over the air broadcasts in the US as I do pick up US channels here in Canada.

Yes, firmware for TV is actually pretty common now. Turns out there has even been a firmware update for your Samsung - http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/tv-video/televisions/lcd-tv/LN32A450C1DXZA/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&tab=support

LOL. I saw that firmware update loooong time ago. It's been there since day one I've had my TV. Let's call that a firmware downgrade. My TV has Version 1015. Samsung's site has 1013.

Why exactly do TVs need firmware update? I never updated my TV and haven't encountered any problem.

Why exactly do TVs need firmware update? I never updated my TV and haven't encountered any problem.

I know with my LN52A650 there was an issue with my xbox 360 connected via component that caused an odd white screen during gameplay that was fixed via firmware. Most of the time the golden rule of firmware update is if your device is working properly and the firmware doesnt add any features.... dont upgrade.

I know with my LN52A650 there was an issue with my xbox 360 connected via component that caused an odd white screen during gameplay that was fixed via firmware. Most of the time the golden rule of firmware update is if your device is working properly and the firmware doesnt add any features.... dont upgrade.

Then I must?ve been lucky with the A450 series. I?ve played my Xbox via component, watched HD cable via component, watched upscaled DVDs via HDMI, and watched Blu-ray via HDMI and haven?t had any problems. Nothing but excellent PQ! I guess it?s due to the fact that I bought my A450 TV towards the end of the year in Nov 08 when all issues were probably fixed.

The only little quirk with my TV is the QAM tuner sucks. If you google it, it?s a known issue with my TV. Samsung has never fixed it, but there are two workarounds?reset the TV or get HD cable. I have the latter, so it doesn?t bother me one bit.

I guess Samsung isn?t as bad of a brand as I made it out to be. But I personally think HDTVs is their main specialty. All their other product lines are a hit or miss.