Open Microsoft Office Files Automatically After Download in Safari?

Hi is there a way to automatically set Safari to open Microsoft office 2008 files automatically after download, rather than just download them? (I have Office 2008 installed BTW, so I'm not asking anything stupid like how to open them *with* Safari).

I have 'open safe files' set in my preferences, including for text files. But apparently Steve Jobs doesn't think Microsoft Office file formats are safe as it won't open these unless I double click on them in the download manager.

I know it might sound lazy (it's just a couple of extra clicks after all), but I'm trying to make the transition from Firefox which could do this - and also I download literally hundreds of Microsoft office files for marking each day, which adds up to an awful lot more clicks than you might think.

It's time saving not lazy! Plus I'm always a fan of automation.

Go to /user/Library/Preferences/com.apple.DownloadAssessment.plist

And edit the <string> with the extensions. Here's mine I did which works.

&lt;?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?&gt;
&lt;!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd"&gt;
&lt;plist version="1.0"&gt;
&lt;dict&gt;
	&lt;key&gt;LSRiskCategorySafe&lt;/key&gt;
	&lt;dict&gt;
		&lt;key&gt;LSRiskCategoryExtensions&lt;/key&gt;
		&lt;array&gt;
			&lt;string&gt;doc&lt;/string&gt;
			&lt;string&gt;docx&lt;/string&gt;
			&lt;string&gt;xls&lt;/string&gt;
			&lt;string&gt;xlsx&lt;/string&gt;
			&lt;string&gt;ppt&lt;/string&gt;
			&lt;string&gt;pptx&lt;/string&gt;
		&lt;/array&gt;
	&lt;/dict&gt;
&lt;/dict&gt;
&lt;/plist&gt;

That file doesn't exist anywhere on my computer. I'm using Snow Leopard and the latest version of Safari.

Edit: Sorry, I should modify that. It doesn't exist in the suggested location.

I did, but it doesn't work. The file handler thing must be somewhere else on my system. But where?? I created the file in .txt format BTW and then changed the name/extension to the above.

I did, but it doesn't work. The file handler thing must be somewhere else on my system. But where?? I created the file in .txt format BTW and then changed the name/extension to the above.

You're sure this is the preferences folder in your home folder right?

It works on 10.6 furby--I've been doing it on mine for some time.

You could just do a search for that file....

• 8 months later...

Hi Furby:

Many thanks, that almost work: all .doc, .ppt. .xls are working well... the problem is with .pptx, .xlsx, .docx...

Do you have an idea how to fix this??

Many thanks

Francois

Hi is there a way to automatically set Safari to open Microsoft office 2008 files automatically after download, rather than just download them? (I have Office 2008 installed BTW, so I'm not asking anything stupid like how to open them *with* Safari).

I have 'open safe files' set in my preferences, including for text files. But apparently Steve Jobs doesn't think Microsoft Office file formats are safe as it won't open these unless I double click on them in the download manager.

I know it might sound lazy (it's just a couple of extra clicks after all), but I'm trying to make the transition from Firefox which could do this - and also I download literally hundreds of Microsoft office files for marking each day, which adds up to an awful lot more clicks than you might think.

It works the same way in any other OS X application; the difference is that the association must be global (not specific); while Firefox allows specificity (which is why I prefer it to Safari, even on OS X), Safari does not.

Firefox 4 beta 6, which is my default browser on Snow Leopard (10.6.4) permits the assignment of "helper applications" for specific file types (just like any other Firefox, including Windows and Linux); I have Word (2011, which I installed just two days ago) as my default for RTF documents. That's just one big black mark against Safari, even on its home turf.

I'm not a Firefox Fan(atic) - in fact, on Windows, IE 9 beta is my default browser (by choice). However, in every other OS I use, Firefox cleans house.

Hi Furby:

Many thanks, that almost work: all .doc, .ppt. .xls are working well... the problem is with .pptx, .xlsx, .docx...

Do you have an idea how to fix this??

Many thanks

Francois

It works the same way in any other OS X application; the difference is that the association must be global (not specific); while Firefox allows specificity (which is why I prefer it to Safari, even on OS X), Safari does not.

Firefox 4 beta 6, which is my default browser on Snow Leopard (10.6.4) permits the assignment of "helper applications" for specific file types (just like any other Firefox, including Windows and Linux); I have Word (2011, which I installed just two days ago) as my default for RTF documents. That's just one big black mark against Safari, even on its home turf.

I'm not a Firefox Fan(atic) - in fact, on Windows, IE 9 beta is my default browser (by choice). However, in every other OS I use, Firefox cleans house.

Hi PG Hammer!

You seem to know hat you're talking about.

Do you have a piece of solution for my problem? :)

(just posted above)

Many thanks!!!!

Francois