NIKON NIKKOR 135mm 135 f/2 f2 AI ?

NIKON NIKKOR 135mm 135 f/2 f2 AI MANUAL for about $600.00

Anyone think this would be a good macro lens for my d90. Its bit older not sure if it would be more of a hassle to use than a newer lens. Definitely will be using a tripod for most of my shots. Just wanted some feed back if anyone has some.

I'd go with a Tamron 90 mm SP AF for macro photography. It can very well be among the best lenses Tamron has built (I usually don't fancy them much).

It also doesn't have VR, but optics is more important for macro. You'll likely shake too much for even VR to help with macro anyway, and it's much about flashes or tripods.

i've been looking for a macro lens recently... not really got the cash for the nikon 105, so am looking at the sigma 105 ex dg, or the tamron 90 di.

i'm leaning towards the tamron because it's supposedly super sharp, and generally retails slightly cheaper than the sigma. i've also heard the sigma af is slow and loud.

If it's an HSM (Sigma) lens, then the focus wouldn't be that loud. Most if not all macro lenses are relatively slow. Some are just faster than the other, but most of them are slow because of a wide focus range. However, most tele macro lenses have a focus limiter switch that enables you to autofocus faster.

Really, look into or even go out and try 150/2.8 or maybe 180/3.5. Both have internal focus (nothing rotates on the outer parts of the lens which makes it easier to handhold) and silent focusing motor (if it's an HSM version). If you are lucky, you might find 180/3.5 very cheap as it has been discontinued.

One note of advice with third party lenses, especially Sigma - buy them in real shops (to test in real life) or make sure you will be able to return it if it's an online buy. Reason is that some of those have somewhat lesser of a quality check than for example Nikon or Canon, which usually results in poor focusing (front- or back focusing to be exact).

Andre thanks for the advice.

I have been looking at the sigma 150 2.8. Ill have to go see if i can try it out. I hate paying retail, always a hundred dollars or more local.