ati drivers

man im never buying ati crap again, stupid driver support, i thought it'd get better...but nooo, damn ignorant freaks

ATi's latest drivers are far better than nVidia's - many friend's systems are having issues with geforce 4's in their system, switched the card out for a radeon 8500-9800 and they all work flawlessly now, and haven't crashed since.

Just because ATi aren't supporing Windows 2003 Server does not mean they have bad drivers. There is no reason for them to support it, as the operating system comes with drivers that work perfectly well, and do everything that is needed on a server.

If any of you wish to protest, then please do it here.

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php...stid=1332048258

Maybe we can change their minds if enough people want them?

Andrewfee, there are circumstances were 3d suppport might be required for Windows 2003 and not just 3D support either... The drivers that come with the OS dont even allow a refresh rate over 60Hz on my Radeon 9700. I cant get the desktop more than 1024x768. Would you call that working perfectley well? I either have the screen image etched into my eyes by the gross refresh rate or install the catalyst drivers and pray they dont crash the box.

10 to 1 that Nvidia get support for Windows 2003 in their drivers. As they should due to the flexable nature of Computers - For instance, not everyone with Windows 98 installed is a home user... Not everyone with Windows NT installed is a business user... My god at a place i went to recentley the clients were all using Windows 95. Companys should expect the unexpected, and just support OS's as they arise. It isnt difficult and it helps everyone, including ATI. They can boast Windows 2003 support for a start (simular to boasting AGP8x, sounds good but it dont really do a whole lot) - but NVIDIA are going to beat them too it like everything else.

I cant believe im having to beg in forums to get some driver support for an OS. All i get is people telling me its a SERVER and it does not need 3D support. Well it is a server and it does need 3d support because I want it. Along with lots of other people that i see asking.

If NVIDIA get Windows 2003 drivers and ATI dont this will be my FIRT and LAST ATI card. I do a lot of things with my computers, and a wide range of OS support is VITAL for me. I emailed ATI about it, and im going to email NVIDIA too now. I will post the results.

Edited by RobertH

ATi's latest drivers are far better than nVidia's - many friend's systems are having issues with geforce 4's in their system, switched the card out for a radeon 8500-9800 and they all work flawlessly now, and haven't crashed since.

Just because ATi aren't supporing Windows 2003 Server does not mean they have bad drivers. There is no reason for them to support it, as the operating system comes with drivers that work perfectly well, and do everything that is needed on a server.

maybe cause your friends forgot to uninstall the old drivers. catalyst drivers are sooo damn moody, i hadda nvidia card before, and every single driver worked flawlessly, and this was on like a nv vanta..old school stuff. and it STILL worked, even with the newer drivers. xp got support, 2k did too. but since i o/c'd it too much, it went a little psycho, so i opted for an ati card, seeing how their drivers were getting better nowadays. but i guess i was dearly wrong. a company should support all upcoming operating systems, especially when it comes to hardware, they dont know what users will be using their products for, but they should still support it. theres no question about it. just because ATI's driver team is too damn lazy to write a INF file for windows2003 doesnt mean they shouldnt. windows2003 is so similar to winxp, i dont understand why they cant write one. it would be good PR too, but no, ATI has to be ignorant and ****. utterly homosexual.

and nvidia already has drivers for winxp 64-bit, why cant ATI get it through its thickasshead that they NEED TO support more os's. so gay..

Edited by aznx

Been arguing in rage3d trying my hardest to justify some sort of support but im getting no where fast im sorry to say. They just are not interested :/ unless they think it affects their profit they wont do sod all. :/ Great stuff. :(

common... I'm using 2003 as a workstation, but I understnad why ATI wouldn't make drivers for this OS. It's not worthe the money to develop them. because it's a server OS, no need to make performance drivers, they just gotta display stuff on a screen

It works fine with my 9700p. Enable 3d through dxdiag. You people that dont know what you are talking about and try to talk this company sucks etc are morons. Can't even install display drivers. gezzz...

uhh i installed them, after a freakin complete format..and everything was accelerated neutr0n, so get your facts straight first.

and 2003 isnt that far off from xp, wouldnt take that much money, just an inf file support..geez

since 3.5 doesn't work for these Server OSes... then use a previous version that works fine for u instead.. i don't think u'll play games on a server much (unless u use a Server OS for other purposes for which i doubt its legal origins)... so getting the latest graphic driver isn't a big issue here ;)

this is the official reply from Catalyst Maker:

Rob the guys in this thread have answered the questions for me and they answered them correctly.

CATALYST does not include support for Server Operating Systems. ATI's server products are the RageXL and the RADEON 7000. Both of those products have drivers as part of the Operating System. Until there is a clear business requirement for 3D acceleration support for Server Operating Systems we dont plan on including Server2003 as part of CATALYST.

This is a 5,000 dollar Operating System right? If you bought that OS I assume you are running a server? If so the OEM of the server machine will also be able to provide you driver updates for your 2D card if you need them.

like i've said earlier... u wouldn't need any updated/latest drivers (unless u use a Server OS for other purposes for which i doubt its legal origins)

Yes, i urrm already posted that a page ago.

https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?act=...7&t=87860&st=15 (half way down ;))

like i've said earlier... u wouldn't need any updated/latest drivers (unless u use a Server OS for other purposes for which i doubt its legal origins)

Its not illegal to use a Server OS as a Workstation. :huh: Ok let me tell you about a training place i worked for.

The MAIN server of course had a single UI and wasnt touched, but the classroom (or whatever you would call it) had a server of its own. So they could use roming profiles for the students. That machine was the machine the tutor used - so rather than waste a machine (im sure u know how strapt for cash training providers/schools etc are) he used it while it did its "server tasks" in the background. Now some of the courses were in programming, 3d programming (simple stuff - but requiring direct3d).

So yes we WOULD need updated drivers. There are case's where it would be required and all ATI have to ****ing do is check out the code and just make sure there are no problems and that SmarrtGART works with it. Jeeze its not a lot to ask and this whole business is putting me WAY off ATI.

well i had an geforce 2 pro and with drivers up to 40.xx no probs but then the **** began

i still have just 1 prob with my ati: if u have msn and a gamen every time some 1 comes online or something it begins to flicker

byt i got a cure: close msn:)

I just installed the XP drivers on it and it worked fine.... no problems.

I just didn't use the installer, but extracted the files (with WinRAR) and installed the drivers manually.

It's quite easy.

You'd do a better job of emailing/pMing the catalyst driver maker over at rage3D.com he's on that exact same thread. But go on anyway, what did NVIDIA say? Yes to support or not?

Q

Im trying to find the right email for NVIDIA - as they dont make the cards themselves im not exactley sure which email to send too to enquire about driver support, or if i should ask the 3rd partys instead.

Oh welcome to the party on rage3d.com raid517 btw ;) :D hehe

If their current idea of 'customer support' is anything to go by then i agree unfortunatley. :)

Lol, well I finally got my card back up and running with full acceleration. It was't easy though.

But here's how I eventually did it.

Boot into ordinary safe mode.

Uninstall any remaining ATI drivers via add remove programs.

Uninstall Video Card completely in Device Manager

Search for and delete any ati files and dlls you can find. (Be careful what your deleting, not all files starting with ati are from ati).

Reboot back into safe mode, except this time do it with VGA support. This will load the Generic Windows XP VGA driver, which seems to be needed for some reason.

Install drivers.

Reboot back into safe mode with VGA enabled. Check dxdiag and make sure everything is working ok. (Look at device manager etc). (Dxdiag probably wont show any acceleration at this point).

Reboot into your full OS.

Run Dxdiag and enable all acceleration.

Run all tests.

If you only get directX tests the first time you run them, reinstall DirectX 9.0 (It doesn't matter if its already installed).

Your done.

I have no idea why this worked, but maybe it would work for someone else? There was one other step I used, which was the first set of drivers I installed were from Gigabyte (even though my card is not a Gigabyte card), then when that worked I upgraded in full OS mode. However I don't think this step is really needed. You could try it if you get stuck I guess.

Hopefully someone else will find this useful.

Now going to make damn well sure I install Goback this time.

Q