streetlight sepia?

p2260086.jpg

i was out taking pictures last night, trying out my camera's night mode... ?so i have come to this part of the street where it was dimly lit by sodium lamps quite far away, it was literally too dark to see anything, but i decided to try to take a picture anyway... i've never had the camera use such a long exposure before, but anyway here is the result

i thought that the dark yellow colour reminds me of a sepia colour tone, but the picture isnt monotone like real sepia... ?

Wow 4000 x 3000 pixel photo! Lol. I kinda like it though.

Yeah in a weird way so do I

the yellow color is due to the noise created by a high ISO.

400 :| Those point n shoots sure do like noise though

I didn't look at the exif.

If it's cheap camera with high pixel count, noise is certainly possible. I remember my old canon A60 went ISO 12 (twelve) so maybe they're on a different scale than DSLRs? iunno.

yup, its that crappy camera i was talking about in https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/875270-digital-image-stabilization-for-still-pictures/?

it was like, 10 seconds of exposure or something to get this picture... basically this is already the best that the camera can do

i have also taken a few other pictures and uploaded them to imageshack... it has resized some of the pictures to 800 x 600 , but not all of them, hmm...

but anyway, here's the same place but from a different view

p2260085.jpg

definitely showing signs of the megapixel myth, and yes you can see that the yellow is the colour of the light, not the noise

the yellow color is due to the noise created by a high ISO.

Yellow colouration is far more likely due to the lighting (sodium lamps) than any high-iso colour cast. Sodium lamps have their emission spectrum firmly in the 590nm part of the visible spectrum, giving them that yellow-orange colour. They also have abominably low colour-rendition indexes, which leads to a yellowed, monochromatic effect under them. Under total streetlighting - it affects your eyes as well, reds look brown and so on. They're absolutely horrible lights :(

You shoot Nikon, which entitles you to significantly better AWB than the rest of the civilised world, unfortunately for the rest of us. AWB is usually bang-on-accurate for daylight colour temperatures, but is generally useless when you get to extreme colour temperatures and godawful CRIs, both of which sodium lamps have, although, as I said, Nikon's AWB performance under artificial lighting is generally best in class. Canon's reasoning for it's pathetic artificial light AWB was that they were endeavouring to maintain 'warm tones', which generally equates to 'shut up and fix it in RAW'. P&S cameras usually suffer from this rather poor AWB performance as well :(

Don't think AWB for me has ever worked very well under artificial, usually end up setting custom WB :(