PSN is down, some titles experiencing game-crashing errors

been playing MAG all yesterday night and this morning then wake up this evening now can't sign on or play mag :( it isn't a major issue in relation to things like RROD everyone has issues with servers every now and then so should be fixed within 24 hours I'd imagine unless it's something major to do with consoles themselves but eh ohwell ASAP is good enough for me.

We dont know the extent of this problem yet. This isn't just a server problem, the fact that its affecting offline consoles is scary.

Imagine if the bug totally disabled internet access. That would be a nightmare for Sony.

Millions of playstations around the world left broken...

People would be unable to play their games and assume their console is banjaxed.

The next firmware update would have to be bundled with the next release of games

:o

People would be unable to play their games and assume their console is banjaxed.

The next firmware update would have to be bundled with the next release of games

This is the issue, if it is affecting those consoles that are even offline then even if it is fixable with firmware, how do Sony plan to get it out to the people? Short of putting a CD in stores for people to pick up or a sign up scheme. They can't expect everyone to go out and buy a new game just to get their older ones to work.

This is the issue, if it is affecting those consoles that are even offline then even if it is fixable with firmware, how do Sony plan to get it out to the people? Short of putting a CD in stores for people to pick up or a sign up scheme. They can't expect everyone to go out and buy a new game just to get their older ones to work.

http://us.playstation.com/support/systemupdates/ps3/pc_update/index.htm

Not ideal, but an option.

Love how Sony's starting to nicely remind people that Slims are fine.... Wouldn't surprise me if it did take a week or two to "fix" entirely. what with several AAA titles either recently coming out or on the near horizion, and a lot of the early gen PS3 owners clearly willing to pay out the nose for it... ...maybe I'm paranoid, but it dosn't seem like there's a whole lot of communication happening, when 50% of the info coming from sony is that "Slims are working!!!!" and not what is actually going on, I'm suspicious with God of War on the horizon.

Love how Sony's starting to nicely remind people that Slims are fine.... Wouldn't surprise me if it did take a week or two to "fix" entirely. what with several AAA titles either recently coming out or on the near horizion, and a lot of the early gen PS3 owners clearly willing to pay out the nose for it... ...maybe I'm paranoid, but it dosn't seem like there's a whole lot of communication happening, when 50% of the info coming from sony is that "Slims are working!!!!" and not what is actually going on, I'm suspicious with God of War on the horizon.

http://www.psu.com/Sony-on-PS3-shortages--expect-tight-inventory-in-coming-months-News--a008643-p0.php

:shifty:

:whistle:

They might be able to solve that problem though.

You cannot access the PSN if the date is incorrect, but this might not stop firmware updates.

Also... this business logic is probably implemented at the server side at Sony, they may be able to turn off the date validator is necessary.

As I said, its impossible to know whats going on, guess we'll have to wait for the next report from Sony.

What about the air force?

ps3usairforce.jpg

Apparently by tomorrow it should automatically fix itself due to clocks/dates, unless Sony fix it today.

CMOS battery fix is confirmed working if you're out of warranty and impatient, but I'd just wait till tomorrow then everything will work fine.

So still no confirmation of what the problem is?

I'm a bit p***ed as I was planning on playing the PS3 tonight as wife is working late.... :crazy:

Even though my system is experiencing the problem, I'm still able to download and install game patches/updates. I broke out a few older games last night and was able to download the updates.

So still no confirmation of what the problem is?

I'm a bit p***ed as I was planning on playing the PS3 tonight as wife is working late.... :crazy:

It's a leap year bug, old fat PS3s internal clocks still think it's February. The internal clock, not the clock on the OS. That's why if you open your PS3 up and take out the motherboard battery and put it back in your PS3 will reset and everything will work fine, just like resetting the CMOS on your PC.

Basically I think Sony will just make everyone wait it out till tomorrow when it'll work fine as the internal clock will think it's March as well and will be able to sync with the Sony servers, then they'll fix it with the next FW update for the future.

It's a leap year bug, old fat PS3s internal clocks still think it's February. The internal clock, not the clock on the OS. That's why if you open your PS3 up and take out the motherboard battery and put it back in your PS3 will reset and everything will work fine, just like resetting the CMOS on your PC.

Basically I think Sony will just make everyone wait it out till tomorrow when it'll work fine as the internal clock will think it's March as well and will be able to sync with the Sony servers, then they'll fix it with the next FW update for the future.

Yeah sounds pretty accurate.

Bit weird that they fixed it for the slim but not the originals (or that they didn't realise they'd fixed it for the slim lol)

Its obviously Sony know whats going on, any company with large amount of dev or quality department iwll figure it out, especially as they have their own debug units and PS3s that will be broken.

It might be just waiting it out, but at elast they should inform people. More importantly to let us know if data is lost or not.

Yeah sounds pretty accurate.

Bit weird that they fixed it for the slim but not the originals (or that they didn't realise they'd fixed it for the slim lol)

The slim was completely new hardware, probably manufactured differently - The motherboards were completely different obviously.

It is what the problem is, been confirmed by those resetting their CMOS on fat PS3s. GMT time is what they go on I believe, so like 9 hours left to see if the problem auto corrects itself.

If it's a leap year bug why didn't the problem occur last year? And why doesn't the problem occur on leap years when the PS3 would think its March 1st instead of February 29th?

That's why if you open your PS3 up and take out the motherboard battery and put it back in your PS3 will reset and everything will work fine, just like resetting the CMOS on your PC.

Yeah I understand the problem, but no official word from Sony? I mean if they just admit they screwed up I'd be happy.

I'm not opening my PS3, risking bricking it, I'll wait till tomorrow I'll just game on the PC tonight :pinch: hmm maybe TF2 pretend I'm killing sony execs :devil: