PSN is down, some titles experiencing game-crashing errors

Yeah I understand the problem, but no official word from Sony? I mean if they just admit they screwed up I'd be happy.

I'm not opening my PS3, risking bricking it, I'll wait till tomorrow I'll just game on the PC tonight :pinch: hmm maybe TF2 pretend I'm killing sony execs :devil:

They've just acknowledged it, not said anything else - http://twitter.com/SonyPlayStation

Even though my system is experiencing the problem, I'm still able to download and install game patches/updates. I broke out a few older games last night and was able to download the updates.

Ah okay, well that's one thing then :)

If it's a leap year bug why didn't the problem occur last year?

There must a be a problem somewhere in the logic that determines the date. It's quite easy to understand once you know why the problem has occurred. The PS3 was released in November 2006, now following basic logic you can discount all odd years as they cannot be leap years so 2007 and 2009 can be skipped. Hence why this hasn't occurred year after year and not been discovered till now. This brings us to 2008, which is obviously a leap year and therefore no error occurred as the date was correctly set, obviously the logic works partially. Now we get to 2010 which is even and I presume this is where the error occurs as even though it is even it is not a leap year.

At least that's my take on the situation, of course I could be wrong and the the calendar bug could be wrong. We will have to wait and see.

• Like 3

If it's a leap year bug why didn't the problem occur last year? And why doesn't the problem occur on leap years when the PS3 would think its March 1st instead of February 29th?

+1

Wouldn't a leap year bug put people in March sooner than later since a leap year would put people at Feb 29th?

There must a be a problem somewhere in the logic that determines the date. It's quite easy to understand once you know why the problem has occurred. The PS3 was released in November 2006, now following basic logic you can discount all odd years as they cannot be leap years so 2007 and 2009 can be skipped. Hence why this hasn't occurred year after year and not been discovered till now. This brings us to 2008, which is obviously a leap year and therefore no error occurred as the date was correctly set, obviously the logic works partially. Now we get to 2010 which is even and I presume this is where the error occurs as even though it is even it is not a leap year.

At least that's my take on the situation, of course I could be wrong and the the calendar bug could be wrong. We will have to wait and see.

that makes the most sense... rep +1

I can still browse the internet on my PS3, I just can't connect to PSN. So, to me, that says it's the PSN and the Tubby PS3 that won't communicate properly. I'm sure they will fix it soon.

Yes, something like that.

It's definitely related to a February/Leap year issue guys, I've already said a few times in here if you crack open your fat PS3 and reset the CMOS by taking the battery out it will connect and work fine. It's to do with the internal clock.

I think Sony are waiting it out till 12:00am GMT time to see if it auto corrects before tweaking around with anything that might worsen the problem (slims are connecting fine just now).... then in the next FW update correct it.

CMOS battery

2j14jk8.jpg

Green thing.

Sony Response,

Update: 16:58

As you may be aware, some customers have been unable to connect to the PlayStation Network today. This problem affects the models other than the new slim PS3.

We believe we have identified that this problem is being caused by a bug in the clock functionality incorporated in the system.

Errors include:

* The date of the PS3 system may be re-set to Jan 1, 2000.

* When the user tries to sign-in to the PlayStation Network, the following message appears on the screen; "An error has occurred. You have been signed out of PlayStation Network (8001050F)".

* When the user tries to launch a game, the following error message appears on the screen and the trophy data may disappear; "Failed to install trophies. Please exit your game."

* When the user tries to set the time and date of the system via the Internet, the following message appears on the screen; "The current date and time could not be obtained. (8001050F)"

* Users are not able to playback certain rental video downloaded from the PlayStation Store before the expiration date.

We hope to resolve this problem within the next 24 hours. In the meantime, if you have one of the above listed models, we advise that you do not use your PS3 system, as doing so may result in errors in some functionality, such as recording obtained trophies, and not being able to restore certain data.

As mentioned above the new slim PS3 is not affected with this error. We are doing our best to resolve the issue and do apologise for any inconvenience caused.

For the latest status on this situation please keep an eye on this thread.

MB

Source: http://community.eu....0313748#M126581

Yep so will keep mine switched off just to avoid data corruption at least.

I am sure I will survive.

Its either they wait 24 hours from now, and hopefully all is back to normal, or they have tested somehow, and it does not correct its self, and are working on backend/firmware.

Hopefully it justs resolves itself.

Yep so will keep mine switched off just to avoid data corruption at least.

I am sure I will survive.

Its either they wait 24 hours from now, and hopefully all is back to normal, or they have tested somehow, and it does not correct its self, and are working on backend/firmware.

Hopefully it justs resolves itself.

It's officially recognized on the blog now as well

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/03/latest-info-on-playstation-network-status/

why are some people's PS3's showing 12/31/1999 and other people's showing 1/1/2000 ?

Because Sony fails at failing. And no, that's not a double negative.

Because Sony fails at failing.??And no, that's not a double negative.

looks like PS3's are partying like its 1999 .... brings back memories, do you remember what were you doing when the clock struck midnight?

looks like PS3's are partying like its 1999 .... brings back memories, do you remember what were you doing when the clock struck midnight?

I was DJ'ing at a club, and we cut out all the lights and music at midnight just to **** with people.

why are some people's PS3's showing 12/31/1999 and other people's showing 1/1/2000 ?

Time zones? The console runs on unix time format but obviously time zones would mean it's a bit different for everybody.

I was DJ'ing at a club, and we cut out all the lights and music at midnight just to **** with people.

now THAT is awesome!!

you know, reading that just made me think.... of all the things, and of all times, it had to be the PS3 that gets a Y2K bug now, didnt it?

you know, reading that just made me think.... of all the things, and of all times, it had to be the PS3 that has a Y2K bug now, didnt it?

The PS3 can help solve cancer and parkinson's, but can't get past Y2K. *sigh*

Or as someone posted on Kotaku: 2/28/2010 - The day PSN became sentient.

There should be reports of it working in Japan by now, or is it all based on GMT?

Based on GMT I believe.