Dropped iPhone in milkshake, now the speaker is quiet

Well isn't this just awesome, I was in the car with some friends and had a McDonalds shake spilled on my iPhone and now the speaker phone speaker is about 50% more quiet then it previously was and I have no idea how I'm going to go at fixing this issue, any ideas? I know you guys can give me some creative solutions ;)

Thanks,

Rollinup

You can get some hearing aids to help boost the speaker when it's up to your ear. Does the iPhone have speaker phone option? You can use that temporarily until the speaker dries out.

You are lucky the phone still works. It sometimes takes a while for phones to completely dry out after getting wet. Let it sit for 24 to 48 hours to see if anything improves.

Turn off the phone for 1-2 days.

Place in bowl/tub of dried rice.

This is what i did with an old nokia that went through a washing machine and it worked fine afterwards.

This is what i did with an old nokia that went through a washing machine and it worked fine afterwards.

Holy crap! I NEVER would have thought a phone would survive a trip in the washing machine... Those must be some good suggestions if it can save a phone then... I'll have to keep that in mind in case anything ever happens to my phone...

To the OP, I hope your phone gets fixed... :(

"My milkshake brings all the phones to the yard and they're like it's better than yours!" :laugh:

I just had to!

"My milkshake brings all the phones to the yard and they're like it's better than yours!" :laugh:

I just had to!

lmfao that was just too funny.

IF a phone gets wet, first thing anyone should do is remove the battery for a few days and put it somewhere warm

... but you cannot remove the battery at all. :)

I had a friend that did this after he dropped it in the toilet. It worked fine afterwards.

... but you cannot remove the battery at all. :)

wow, that design sucks - so if your battery's rechargeable life comes to an end you need to buy a new phone ?

Apple are more sucky that MS !

I just had to!

I lol'ed especially since i was thinking that when clicking in to this tread :p

IF a phone gets wet, first thing anyone should do is remove the battery for a few days and put it somewhere warm

Actually the rice idea may be better. Warmth would cause moisture to rise, this in turn could leave you with that god awful "wet screen" effect, where you cant get rid of the moisture from under it.

I lol'ed especially since i was thinking that when clicking in to this tread :p

Actually the rice idea may be better. Warmth would cause moisture to rise, this in turn could leave you with that god awful "wet screen" effect, where you cant get rid of the moisture from under it.

Hmm.. good point, I hate that wet screen look

+1 to the rice. My buddy dropped his BlackBerry into a pitcher of iced tea and killed it. I wanted to see if the rice idea was true so asked if I could have it, pulled the battery, swirled it around in clean distilled water to clean out the tea, then put it in a bowl of rice for a day. Phone worked just fine, so I gave it to my brother.

I would only clean it with water if you have nothing to lose, but just putting it with some rice wont hurt it, so its worth a shot.

I think you are lucky your phone even turns on.

So all I could recommend is add chocolate sprinkles and your set.

i would never let anyone eat or drink in my car...

that is the first issue right there :p

That's what I'm talkin about

Transporter Principles. :rofl:

Rule #1 Never change the deal.

Rule #2 No Names

Rules #3 Don't open the package

Well isn't this just awesome, I was in the car with some friends and had a McDonalds shake spilled on my iPhone and now the speaker phone speaker is about 50% more quiet then it previously was and I have no idea how I'm going to go at fixing this issue, any ideas? I know you guys can give me some creative solutions ;)

Thanks,

Rollinup

The speaker diaphragm is probably covered in sticky yucky stuff. Not sure what the best way to clean it is. I'd probably carefully disassemble and then very gently clean the diaphragm with ~30% IPA and a cotton swab.

Its not just wet, guys, it has been exposed to a milk shake. There is probably sticky residue all over the speaker and surrounding areas. If any of the stuff is across the input connections to the speaker then that may also explain the lost in loudness of the speaker.