[Member Poll] Drop IE6 Support?

557 members have voted

1. 1. Are you still using Internet Explorer 6?

• Yes, at the company I work for
    • Yes, I have limited hardware at home
    • No, stopped using it ages ago!
    • I just "upgraded" to IE7!

It's always a sticking point, supporting old browsers on many websites, it causes many development issues and in some cases even limits what we can do at all!

So lets hear it, does your boss still have you working on Windows 98 or Windows 2000 with IE6, or have you got a really old computer at home and use Internet Explorer 6 on it?

Additionally, for readers that can't move away from IE7/8 there is a "fix" you can install in Internet explorer called "Google Frame" that rounds off Atlas as we intended it, by adding "webkit" to IE.

Download here

What percentage of Neowin visitors is still using IE 6? If it's < 10% I'd say go for it.

I don't remember using it unless I had to. We always had Firefox on our machines, even before I was interested in technology.

No, I don't use it at all, and never did at work. In fact, I worked in Chrome at work, but there were some web app packages that I used that needed IE, but I still had IE7 at least.

I say IE6 support should be dropped. There's no point in holding onto IE6 still when it's so far past it's lifespan. The only people who still use it are the people who use software that refuses to update itself to run on a newer version of IE. For those people, install another browser to use when you don't have to use IE. If you're at work and can't install, use a portable version of Chrome on a memory stick. If you can't load data off a memory stick, then they probably don't want you screwing around and reading sites that don't pertain to work anyway, and you probably shouldn't be trying.

We just upgraded to IE7 at the college as of last summer. I honestly don't know how anyone got by using such a crappy browser. I mean, I knew it wasn't great, but I didn't expect this... If we only had IE8 at least. :p

Either way, IE6 is gone both at home and at work.

Luckily my school updated to IE7 some time last year, and I haven't had it at home for a longer while, so I haven't had to use it any time recently.

A part of me thinks "drop it", but the other (read "better") half of me thinks "are you being restricted in any way because of IE6?". If Neowin was to implement new features, but were hold back due to IE6, I'd say "kick the old mule, while it's still lying". Because I think it's silly to hold on to old browsers and not create any new features because of it. But if IE6 can still render Neowin fine and there are no technical reason to drop it, I'd say leave it as it is. But that's just me.

At work I use IE8 and firefox, depends on the application.

At home I mainly use Firefox and Chrome. :)

I say drop it. Theres no point on hanging onto this old, decrepit system. If people don't make the jump to support only newer browsers then we will be stuck in the old-age forever.

The more sites that drop support the more IT departments have an excuse to say its broke(as in ain't broke, don't fix it) and actually get a budget for upgrading.

I can't wait to see the back of IE6! Its a nightmare to work with. The company I work for sells a web based software system and we have to support IE6! Nightmare!!!

The more sites that do it the more chance we have of getting rid of it :D

I say go for it :)

I almost want to believe those who voted for IE + hardware support are just doing that to **** on the poll :p

More than likely! :p

Though saying that there is a guy at work that swears by it and will not upgrade! Mental!! :s

I'm glad IE6 support is gone or going. This site runs better already as a result (using IE8 none the less). The page renders properly and this box works great now (which IE6 doesn't support). So i'm loving it!!

I'd try starting with a notifier (in the AD section on the top of the page) that IE6 is 'not supported' and that the site might not work as expected.

Link to the top 5 browsers out there or something and give an option to hide it.

* Haven't used IE6 since June 2009, when our school upgraded to IE8.