[Member Poll] Drop IE6 Support?

557 members have voted

1. 1. Are you still using Internet Explorer 6?

• Yes, at the company I work for
    • Yes, I have limited hardware at home
    • No, stopped using it ages ago!
    • I just "upgraded" to IE7!

It's always a sticking point, supporting old browsers on many websites, it causes many development issues and in some cases even limits what we can do at all!

So lets hear it, does your boss still have you working on Windows 98 or Windows 2000 with IE6, or have you got a really old computer at home and use Internet Explorer 6 on it?

Additionally, for readers that can't move away from IE7/8 there is a "fix" you can install in Internet explorer called "Google Frame" that rounds off Atlas as we intended it, by adding "webkit" to IE.

Download here

Things like Google Frame and WebKit in Internet Explorer make NO sense to me.

The whole point of many places being stuck with Internet Explorer is because they are using some horrid web-application that requires IE's broken rendering engine to even work.

If you replace IE's rendering engine with something better, be it Chrome or whatever else, then the program that REQUIRED IE will no longer work, as a different engine is now loaded up when you run IEXPLORE.EXE.

So ... what's the point of such things?

I almost want to believe those who voted for IE + hardware support are just doing that to **** on the poll :p

Did you see my question from before? Not sure if you would know, just thought I would ask again because it seems to really be at the heart of the issue.

Were the developers limited in any aspect during development of Atlas because of IE6?

Did you see my question from before? Not sure if you would know, just thought I would ask again because it seems to really be at the heart of the issue.

We were limited by IE in general tbh :p

Has Microsoft announced anything about the rendering engine that will power IE on Windows Phone 7 Series? If it is the same engine that's in WM and Zune HD right now then it is going to have most of the same quirks that IE6 has on the desktop.

Drop it, the amount of users running IE6 that would be reading a technological website/forum such as this would be so small that the effect would be negligible.

If everyone keeps supporting IE6 until eternity companies and users of the browser will not feel the need to change. Which means it's a Vicious Cycle where we cant move forward because people use the old browser but people wont upgrade because developers keep restricting what they do to compensate for IE6.

I say drop it and lets help to kill this browser once and for all.

If everyone keeps supporting IE6 until eternity companies and users of the browser will not feel the need to change. Which means it's a Vicious Cycle where we cant move forward because people use the old browser but people wont upgrade because developers keep restricting what they do to compensate for IE6.

I say drop it and lets help to kill this browser once and for all.

We seriously have to stop this love triangle between users>companies>&IE6

Things like Google Frame and WebKit in Internet Explorer make NO sense to me.

The whole point of many places being stuck with Internet Explorer is because they are using some horrid web-application that requires IE's broken rendering engine to even work.

If you replace IE's rendering engine with something better, be it Chrome or whatever else, then the program that REQUIRED IE will no longer work, as a different engine is now loaded up when you run IEXPLORE.EXE.

So ... what's the point of such things?

It doesn't replace the whole rendering engine. It looks at the pages and if a certain <meta> tag is found, it uses WebKit engine only for that page.

It's because IE6 explodes whenever it's required to make a whole decision. It's an indecisive browser. >.>

I think IE6 support has pretty much become a liability at this point,

That and most Neowin readers are technically inclined and aren't running it anyways.

Though I agree that most of neowins members are technically inclined, some people aren't and i'm betting the majority of non-registered users that lurk around probably aren't either. So I say, if you have the time and resources, keep itm if not dump it. Doesn't neowin have a stats page on browser usage? Does IE6 have a considerable amount of hits within neowin to consider keeping it?

IE6 support should be dropped as it's holding back everything including neowin and i left IE years ago but was forced to use it years ago because netscape 4xx could not do something that was important but have since dropped it unless i have to use it which is rare(IE8)

I believe we should drop support for Internet Explorer. Of course, I don't really come here often enough to know if that would be a good idea or not. IE6 is an ancient browser, and the only place I see it used anymore is at my school. And my school blocks this site anyway, so I don't think my situation is the same as many other members.