• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

[Member Poll] Drop IE6 Support?

557 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

c3ntury    133

We need to join the fight against IE6.

Ci7    202

i just checked stats of IE6 in NA and EU

it is about 6%

http://gs.statcounter.com/?PHPSESSID=0d70b1dd1d2157f9ca138e8d17f1cb63#browser_version-eu-monthly-200902-201003

http://gs.statcounter.com/?PHPSESSID=0d70b1dd1d2157f9ca138e8d17f1cb63#browser_version-na-monthly-200902-201003

and about 11% worldwide

http://gs.statcounter.com/?PHPSESSID=0d70b1dd1d2157f9ca138e8d17f1cb63#browser_version-ww-monthly-200902-201003

and the userbase are dimmishing repaidly. if you ask me , i would say drop support.

would be intersting to know % of Neowin viewers/users who use Ie6 and other browsers

MagicAndre1981    5

please don't the support that crappy browser any longer. People should upgrade to a better browser

+DonC    595

I'd say drop it if you have the choice to do so.

The biggest cause of the IE6 problem is vested interests not wanting to lose out on potential users but the reality I see is that those users have better browsers at home and expect to see some rendering issues in IE6 when browsing the web at work these days. I'm glad that Google have been so public in their dropping of IE6 support, since I hope this will convince those that pay for websites to not be so anal about it.

I have dropped pixel perfect support for IE6 on the website I work on and in the last year I've not once had a complaint about it. (I suspect though that being in the scientific community that it has a lower percentage of IE6 users anyway.)

itzwolf    22

Kill it!

IE6 is so old and only way to move forward is to stop looking backwards... Besides IE7 can run on pretty much any computer IE6 did.

Jon 5    1

If Google can drop it, I say Neowin can as well.

XP1    9

You must drop Internet Explorer 6 someday. Do not resist.

Lazure    52

Wait? What? Ok, so there are schools and workplaces that still use IE6.. and if they upgrade.. it's going to be IE7? WHY IE7? What the hell is wrong with them?

They're gonna upgrade finally after like 8 years but instead of getting the latest and greatest, they instead dumpster dive for IE7 when IE8 is way better than IE7....... why?

Rob    20

Wait? What? Ok, so there are schools and workplaces that still use IE6.. and if they upgrade.. it's going to be IE7? WHY IE7? What the hell is wrong with them?

They're gonna upgrade finally after like 8 years but instead of getting the latest and greatest, they instead dumpster dive for IE7 when IE8 is way better than IE7....... why?

Because in the real world you have businesses relying upon critical applications created years ago. Applications that do break in IE8. This isn't just hypothetical: I support a billing application in the large company I work for (55,000 employees) that would fall to pieces if we moved to IE8. Hence we're moving to IE7. I may not like it, but it doesn't stop me using Firefox or Chrome for other browsing.

iamwhoiam    69

So you can vote more than once? maybe your work requires it + you have a ****ty pc :p

I see you people still don't follow the rules you set down. Your post is not censored.

PL_    19

I see you people still don't follow the rules you set down. Your post is not censored.

Developers don't have word filters. Everyone makes mistakes.

DrunkenBeard    74

Why support ? 9 year-old browser ? It will just cripple future evolutions of Neowin.

amon91    41

Why support à 9 year-old browser ? It will just cripple future evolutions of Neowin.

Because, as previously expressed here, there are companies and public places that are still using it.

Maybe you should have 2 skins. One for modern browsers and another one for legacy stuff like IE6. That way you could keep developing the site without worrying about old browsers, and still support them in some capacity.

Brandon H    2,918

I never use IE, not even at school

I use Chrome at home and Firefox Portable everywhere else

Lazure    52

Why should the site admins care about IE6? If someone's still using IE6 to browse here, it's their fault for not using something else. Nothing stops you from having chrome or firefox.

alfaaqua    19

We were limited by IE in general tbh :p

I hope that is a joke.

If Google can drop it, I say Neowin can as well.

+1

In a tech community such as this, people should be tech knowledgable. Personally Id split into 3 catagories:

1: Normal version

2: Mobile version

3: Legacy version

The legacy version would FREEZE as of now (unless there is a security bug or something) and only the normal and mobile version would be worked on. Any new features in the normal/mobile version, would NOT be refected or supported in the legacy version. Plus, legacy version at some point, may break but Neowin is not responsible.

Steve B.    467

Why should the site admins care about IE6? If someone's still using IE6 to browse here, it's their fault for not using something else. Nothing stops you from having chrome or firefox.

I'm afraid you're wrong, a lot of people work at places that still haven't upgraded their computers from IE6, as such that is what they use to browse. These workplaces won't allow you to install stuff as you please as such they're stuck on this browser.

Varemenos    3

It depends.

Most "technology knowledged" people wouldnt use IE6 (that i guess sums up the Neowin community)

If you were to design a website where people that have no idea about computers visit, then you should definatelly support IE6 cause im 90% sure all of them would use Win XP and IE6 ( or worst :) )

XP1    9

Neowin is a tech site, not a mission-critical, work-related site designed for organizations which still use Internet Explorer 6. In Neowin's case, it makes sense to drop IE6.

So what if something appears misaligned in the IE6 browser at work? This isn't going to hurt the employee's paycheck or his/her quality of work.

+Alan-    11

Even at my school they upgraded to at least IE7, most IE8. I feel that there is no need to continue support for such an outdated browser. Especially one that is two complete versions away from the stable version of the same browser.

epk    56

Drop it.. who uses it really? I've only seen it at schools or maybe Internet stations at hotels and such (and they should upgrade anyway).

Varemenos    3

These are the statistics of browser usage from w3cschool:

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

IE6 is continuously dropping (currently at 8.9%), a year ago it was 2x (17%)

so soon its dead :p (finally, as a wannabie webdesigner its really pain in the butt, having to always check IE6 fixes :D)

cork1958    1,669

If it weren't for IE8, I would still be using IE6 as IE7 TOTALLY sucked!!

Lazure    52

I don't care if work people are 'stuck' on IE6, that's their fault for using such an old piece of junk.

What's to stop them from bringing in a portable firefox/chrome install off a USB stick or something? Or, they could just simply not browse the web while they're working or at least deal with the stuff looking like total crap.

IE6 should never be supported anymore by anyone, anywhere. Doing so only holds back progress. Progress that could lead to better aesthetics and efficiency. Anyone who defends supporting IE6 is a moron who wants to hold us all back.

+Majesticmerc    872

I don't care if work people are 'stuck' on IE6, that's their fault for using such an old piece of junk.

What's to stop them from bringing in a portable firefox/chrome install off a USB stick or something? Or, they could just simply not browse the web while they're working or at least deal with the stuff looking like total crap.

IE6 should never be supported anymore by anyone, anywhere. Doing so only holds back progress. Progress that could lead to better aesthetics and efficiency. Anyone who defends supporting IE6 is a moron who wants to hold us all back.

How is it "their fault"?!

Its all well and good saying that people should use "portable firefox", but I work for the National Health Service in the UK, and in order to protect patient data, USB flash drives are blocked unless they're encrypted. That means that most people are SOL and have to use IE6. This is because the hospital can't upgrade from IE6 since many old web-based systems don't work on newer versions of IE, and the remote assistance software that we use at work to provide support for our applications doesn't work on any version of IE other than v6.

You can argue the toss about whether or not this is right, but at the end of the day, our IT department has to roll out an IE upgrade to thousands of computers, and tens of thousands of software/hardware configurations without a hitch, and believe it or not, it takes a hell of a lot of planning and testing before it can happen, because in the worst case scenario, it could put people's lives at risk, and if it costs money, we have to explain ourselves to the taxpayer.

Fortunately in my case, I have Firefox installed since I'm a developer, and our hospital is in the process of upgrading everyone to IE7, so I'm all for getting rid of IE6 :D.