[UK] Sky Fibre-optic trials

If you live in the UK with a Sky TV & Sky Talk (Sky Online accepted but not required) package, then sign up for the Sky Highspeed Fibre-Optic broadband trials in your area.

More information @ SkyHiSpeed

Ooooh, 40mbit, thats fast lol ;)

Here in Sweden we have adsl thats up to 60mbit :p

The ISP Bredbandsbolaget even has 100mbit fibre in some of the larger cities in Sweden since couple of years back.

That's however snails pace compared to what's being offered nationwide in both South Korea and Japan.

Happy to hear Sky is pushing with some faster speeds, about time!

Ooooh, 40mbit, thats fast lol ;)

Here in Sweden we have adsl thats up to 60mbit :p

Unfortunately our broadband network has suffered from a lack of investment over a prolonged period of time with the average connection speed from what I recall currrently around 2Mbps, I have signed up for this as well, hoping to get selected. All depends if you are in a trial location, unfortunately I doubt Liverpool city centre will be one of them so that's me out of luck.

The ISP Bredbandsbolaget even has 100mbit fibre in some of the larger cities in Sweden since couple of years back.

That's however snails pace compared to what's being offered nationwide in both South Korea and Japan.

Happy to hear Sky is pushing with some faster speeds, about time!

Yepp, i've had my fibre connection for ~3 years now (100/100mbit) and I live in a small town with 20k people living in it.

I've heard that UK is quite underdeveloped when it comes to internet, hope this is the beginning of something new for you guys.

When the Virgin 100MB trials are over, us 20MB'ers will be upgraded to their 50MB fibre-optic service for free (hopefully).

Very doubtful of that as 50Mb needs a new modem and I doubt Virgin media will go to the trouble and cost of that. Whether they should and whether they would are sadly very different things. it would be nice!

When the Virgin 100MB trials are over, us 20MB'ers will be upgraded to their 50MB fibre-optic service for free (hopefully).

Doubt it, 50Mb needs a new modem and they still send an "engineer" out to fit it at ?50 charge.

Very doubtful of that as 50Mb needs a new modem and I doubt Virgin media will go to the trouble and cost of that. Whether they should and whether they would are sadly very different things. it would be nice!

I doubt that they will put the 100MB in another price bracket. It would probably be what the 50MB people pay now. I mean, anything more than ?37-38 for broadband is a rip-off.

Doubt it, 50Mb needs a new modem and they still send an "engineer" out to fit it at ?50 charge.

Nah, when my uncle got the 50MB (the person who told me that Virgin were planning to do this) he opted for the free self-install.

hmmm my local exchange is only just getting 21cn (adsl2) up to 24mb end of this month.. i doubt i will be seeing anything like this for a while :p