your opinion

Question

Hello,

I made this website a few months a go for my manager...

I know it doesnt look as professional and clean because of the fonts and maybe even the design so dont go crazy on me and tell me it sucks lol..

just tell me ur opinions and maybe without going to crazy tell me what u think may need to be improved.....thanks a lot

Villa Carina

if your interested in renting let me know as well haha :p

also, on another note...my manager was talkin about web optimization...i put in the meta tag for keywords and descritpion...are there any other things that can be done to ptimize the site?

I looked into it yesterday and noticed the abstract meta tag and didnt quite get what that was...along with the googlebots and robots...r those good to put in the code? any suggestions?

17 answers to this question

The website does it's job and nothing more. I'm not sure when you built this website but it uses Very old techniques (tables for the layout). Nowadays it's all about divs and inline styles.

Try looking at successful websites from all over and pick out the good qualities. You could maybe make the navigation a bit more fun and interactive.

I think the structure is there, but it's looking a bit quiet. And change that Comic Sans. D:

As said, the site does it's job and nothing more.

First page is somehow disorganized due to different alignment of elements.

Also, get rid of the counter. Page statistics should always be tracked in the background. Either use Google Analytics or some other tool which will give you much better report.

Invest a little more time in the logo - well, changing font will probably be enough for starters.

Site optimization (SEO) is the whole philosophy so take a look at some sites talking about that. One thing that is probably most obvious is that you are going too deep in the code. H1 should always be somewhere at the top, not under dozens of other tags like P,...

yea i dont like the comic sans either but thats wat he wanted for some reason lol i tried explaining to him that its not the best choice of font to use but ah well thats wat he wanted so thats what i put lol

but thanks a lot for the feedback!

I think you need some more scenic photos for the home page. Something to catch the viewers interest when they first arrive. Also, the navigation needs some love and I personally am not feeling the large photo for a background. I think those are the key points.

For search engine optimisation, meta tags don't really matter a whole lot these days (though you might have to include them more to please the site owner than anything else). Take a look at this page which talks about the biggest factors in getting a good search engine rank: http://www.seomoz.org/article/search-ranking-factors

Nowadays it's all about divs and inline styles.

Surely you mean external styles.

@Jordan Perhaps I said it wrng , what I meant was things like display:inline; and floats.

And your absolutely right about external styles too :)

The layout is actually pretty good and the website itself does what's most important: it's functional. It's important to keep things simple to allow visitors to find their way around easily.

You're right that the font is a bit undesirable, but that's a simple fix. The color scheme puts me off. This is often the most difficult part of styling a web page. There are entire academic focuses on color theory, so I wouldn't expect you to be an expert on it. I've found the Color Scheme Designer to be invaluable for this kind of thing. I've used it for everything from PowerPoint presentations to research posters to webpages to brochures. The oversimplified idea is to generate a set of congruent colors that have appropriate, but reduced, contrast without compromising visibility.

Also, I think you should augment the navigational menu to make it stand out a little bit more and clarify which tab the visitor is currently on.

Finally, I dislike the idea of using images in the background. My basic rule is this: if you could put the picture in a frame, then never use it as a background.

i agree on most of the points all of you have made...especially the background image...but the owner of the site likes the comic sans and the background even tho the image ofcourse doesnt display correctly to those who have wider and bigger resolutions....

i will fix the headings...thanks for the heads up on that...

also the code on this page is a lil messed up i know its very confusing i gotta try and fix it, and mainly give it a good clean up cuz its all over the place...

i also have another question....ive noticed that when i search for the page on google....usually the results should bring up the homepage am i right? instead when i search the page on any search engine....th resulti get is the FAQ page and the features page? is there a way to get the actual homepage to come up in the results?

Also, anyone know if theres any point in adding the abstract, pagerank, and classification meta tags?

Meta tags have been abused so much I doubt there is any significance anymore. But nevertheless it would be better to have them than not have any at all. I would add abstract and classification meta tags. Also most of your links don't seem to have title tags.

Regarding search results depending on what you search for a different page from your site could show up. But if you search for your site name your home page should show up and if it doesn't then there is a problem with site structure. Two measures could help with that. The first being a site map so that the search engine understands how the site is setup. The second would be title tags. Following is an example...

Joe Designs

Joe Designs - Portfolio

Joe Designs - Order a Design

Joe Designs - Contact Us

Some people prefer to put the site specific name to the left i.e. "Portfolio - Joe Designs" instead of "Joe Designs - Portfolio". This set up clearly indicates the page with Joe Designs is the home page because of lack of "sub" title.

If you would like to fix the background issue there are scripts that will make the background extend to fill the page. For this to work well the image will have to be of good quality.

thanks a lot sweetsam ur answer was very helpful....

as far as the script for the background is it something i can look up on google i guess? or is it something that needs to be done on css sheet?