Wired article on Case design of G5

It was not designed as a game machine but it will run games like UT2K3, Quake (any version), Sim City 4, Halo (when it is released at the same time as PC version), Return to Castle Wolfenstien, War Craft III, WCIII Frozen Throne, World of WarCraft, etc.....

*edit*

Run those games as fast or faster than any cheap single Proc P4.

*edit* :)

But this is designed to compete and surpass Xeon Workstations in graphics (photoshop), video, rendering and music in real world performance. Xeons don't come cheap either and this thing has a server class case (which don't come cheap either).

you know what I mean, fruity as in strange.

Ghost white (new iMac)

Aluminum on this thing

whatever the hell that teal is on the front of the G4s

and let's not forget all the nice colors the old iMacs came in

and also i hear the drive wires are hidden, another feat not accomplished by any pc.

That also makes them hard to get at if the need ever arises, and this can be accomplished on the PC, just put a little time and effort into it.

I think the case is rather ugly.

Thing I like about PCs are that they are easily upgradeable and customizable.

I saw that the models start out at $1999 on Apples page. That's rather pricey, little over half the value of my computer. I could go out and buy a Dell for $600.

Holy crap are those things that say G5 heat sinks? I thought they were hard drive cages. Damn those things are huge.

Don't even talk about AMD when you got heat sinks like that. I'm running a singleproc AMD with a heatink about ? that size.

Edited by StOnD

ok, Dell dimensions have been EXTREMELY quiet for the last few years, this is not a new feat, if anything it's a catchup. notice how apple didn't use rounded cables inside that system?? hmm....oh well.

as to the heating zones, i think that's more to the fact that the chip runs so damn hot it needs something like that and most wintel pcs don't need such EXTREME measures. as quiet as the Dells are, i'm sure they run cool on the inside to with passive cooling, whatever they have on the inside.

my best friend has a brand new dell and it's extremely quiet and cool and sometimes cold to the touch. now it could be "hell" inside the case, but who knows there's no reason to open the case just yet, so who really cares if the wires are all over the place or what, as long as it's quiet and cool that's all most people care about.

Dell has been shipping SATA harddrives for a long time now, once again nothing new. while the Apple case on the inside is a good design, i would hardly call it revolutionary, i personally think they couldn't have put 1 chip in let alone 2 if they didn't do something like that.

serial ata cables allow you do hide the wires like that, notice they didn't picture it against a brandnew Dell case on the inside shipping with serial ata. as to hiding the parallel ata cables for the 1 superdrive. i'm not exactly sure what dell does but if they only shipped 1 drive i'm sure they could do the same exact thing, plz people this is nothing revolutionary.

nobody has mentioned the "Optical digital audio in and out Toslink connectors"

this is supposed to be the s*** and if you have a home receiver you can plug this right in and have true digital output from the G5 to your home..

im warming up to the case design. i do however fear the first person to slip and let an aluminum foot hit the ground just a tad to hard !!! can we say sugar packs or matches ??? also the sides of the case ?? both the Ti and new powerbooks have case issues w/ the consumer grade metal.

airflow/fans - why is everyone so hyped about this.. yes they did a great job with it and illustrating it but man i dont remember the last time i thought to myself i sure could use better cooling or more fans. plus im not running AMD.. seems to be introducing more that could go wrong. and the open hole design just begs for dust/hair/dirt/bugs/corn....

*note - mac users love to keep their desktops on top of the desk.. Windows users usually keep them below. just my observation while working at numerous design studios

<<stuff>>

I'm not most people, I care about how it's built, the quality of the components, how it's configured, how it's setup inside. No-one ever said SATA was new to computing, it's new to Apple. Rounded cables, since when do you need rounded cables for SATA leads?

At what point did I say that PC's didn't run cool? I know for myself that Dells are damn quiet, damn cool and impressively so. My debate was with the guy saying he's seen this type of cooling before and it's available anywhere.

i'm just trying to downplay the apple case design, people (maybe not you) but people acting like everything inside the case has never been done before, and Apple did this first and Apple did that first.

and i mean rounded ide cables, obviously they are comparing their serial ata case to a old ata parallel case which uses the ribbon cables. well if they are going to do that they could at least use rounded ide cables or omg compare it to another serial ata case.....

i've seen pics of plenty of pcs that have as much stuff as their PC pic had in it, and they were very clean and organized on the inside. they could have did a better/fairer job of comparing their inside to a pc's inside, me thinks they were just surfing a forum such as this and some user posted his system and Apple said let's use that lol.

i'm just trying to downplay the apple case design, people (maybe not you) but people acting like everything inside the case has never been done before, and Apple did this first and Apple did that first.

and i mean rounded ide cables, obviously they are comparing their serial ata case to a old ata parallel case which uses the ribbon cables. well if they are going to do that they could at least use rounded ide cables or omg compare it to another serial ata case.....

i've seen pics of plenty of pcs that have as much stuff as their PC pic had in it, and they were very clean and organized on the inside. they could have did a better/fairer job of comparing their inside to a pc's inside, me thinks they were just surfing a forum such as this and some user posted his system and Apple said let's use that lol.

Ah yeah, I thought you were talking about the G5. They do seem to have picked a particulary nasty looking crowded PC :rofl:

i also don't think something like this will ever be offered on the PC side, at least not by retail case designers, because i don't see how you can use these thermal zones and upgrade your motherboard for example to anything standard, it kind of forces you to use 1 thing......we could talk about that, but that's just my opinion.

personally i wonder to myself if the thermal zones would be nice for me, but if i couldn't upgrade every part of my computer at any point, i wouldn't want it.

My debate was with the guy saying he's seen this type of cooling before and it's available anywhere.

I don't think he meant exactly that cooling setup, but there are setups out there that are just as good and better that are easily available.

What would you "upgrade" besides adding ram, changing video cards, PCI cards or adding another HD?

Any other "upgrades" would mean a new mobo anyway.

Independent thermal zones constantly monitored by the OS, wait, that sounds a lot like what my PC does with it's "independent zones" - CPU fan "zone", multiple case fan "zones" oh and don't forget the power supply fan "zone".

:rolleyes:

Even macrosslover would be willing to admit (I'd bet ;) ) that the Apple solution is rather exotic/extreme/OTT and nothing like what that guy thinks.

i thought i admitted it was extreme lol, i do think it's nice and no doubt the inside of that Apple case does look nice.

The only thing that might be construed as innovative (in a genuine sense, not a marketing sense) about the cooling of this case is the "zone" configuration, and yet as others have pointed out, it's not really clear why this is so desirable. After all, when it comes down to it this case uses the same types of cooling as all computers have used for a long time: fans and heatsinks. Moreover, aluminum cases have been in the mainstream pc market for several years, and you could even argue that these zones are really nothing more than glorified plastic ducts of the sort that have been in pcs for a long time.

Now, if compartmentalizing the case into distinct, temperature-controlled zones allows for better cooling and acoustics, that's great. But if this is what you're paying for, and since one can achieve adequately cool and near silent pc cases without resorting to such measures, where is the *functional* advantage? The cleaner setup (as compared to most pc's) probably makes tooling around in the case easier, yet the irony is that with the mac you're probably not going to be making modifications beyond ram upgrades and maybe adding an extra hard drive.

At any rate, I actually like the aesthetics of this case whereas I'm not a fan of the plastic g3/g4 cases. I like the aluminum and the minimalist design, I like right angles and the lack of garish logos. But I'm not buying the functionality argument anymore than I'm likely to buy a G5. Also, it's worth bearing in mind that all the proprietary aspects of this case means that if anything breaks down you've got only one choice for repairs, but I imagine this is nothing new with Apple computers.

The thermal zones and computer controlled independent fans are unique to desktop/workstation cases. The only place you would find anything like that would be a rack mounted server.

Why do people insist on comparing a workstation class machine (G5) to a cheap consumer P4 which is not capable of dual?

The thermal zones and computer controlled independent fans are unique to desktop/workstation cases. The only place you would find anything like that would be a rack mounted server.

Why do people insist on comparing a workstation class machine (G5) to a cheap consumer P4 which is not capable of dual?

i don't know ask Apple :D

ok, lets compare it to a dell 650 then. also a workstation, costs $1000-2000 more. where are all the advantages in it's design?

$4774

Dual 3.06GHz P4 Xeon

512MB RAM

120GB 7200rpm IDE hdd

Nvidia Quadro FX 1000 128mb (only thing that i didn't know what to pick)

4x DVDRR

precn650front.jpg

Edited by BroChaos

thermal zones is a good thing in my opinion :/

I dont think the case is that bad looking. The front of it does kinda remind me of a band-aid, but it still looks sleek and simplistic.

The fact that you an barely hear it in operation is awesome!

Too bad the thing costs a fortune though :-/

I'm willing to bet theyd sell at least 200% more if they dropped the price a couple grand...i'd even bet that would compensate for the reduced profit margin in the hardware department or whatever

Dropped the price a couple of grand? The 1.8 is around ?1500 for me and the Dual 2GHz is around ?1900, how can they knock a few grand off that? It isn't a crappy little $300 self build.