HBO's Game of Thrones

The first dab of Game of Thrones ratings trivia is in. On Sunday night, HBO aired a 15-minute preview showing the opening scenes of its highly anticipated new series. Here?s how many watched: 720,000.

Is that good? Bad? Tough to say. It?s just a preview, and all the advertising for Thrones is emphasizing the actual premiere on April 17. Plus, plenty of would-be viewers watched the preview online (see it here). I think it?s fair to conclude this is not a giant number indicating the show?s debut will go through the ratings roof. But given its non-promoted and brief nature, nor does it suggest support for the show is soft ? an HBO spokesperson points out the network has never done something like this before.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/04/05/game-of-thrones-ratings-heres-how-many-watched-hbos-preview/

So I've already planned how I'm going to watch this. Will watch the first episode tonight and then I'll wait impatiently until the first season is released on Blu-ray.

Really looking forward to this. They must have shelled out a lot to get Sean Bean as a series regular - but then again it'll be hard for the series to go wrong with him in a leading role.

I found the 1st episode quite boring. The only thing that entertained me were all the titties :rofl: . Things are going to have to pick up fast if they want me to keep watching.

I found the 1st episode quite boring. The only thing that entertained me were all the titties :rofl: . Things are going to have to pick up fast if they want me to keep watching.

indeed, especially this cutie!

528087585.jpg

Gotta love that new trend in tv shows!!

In case anyone missed it:

"Encores of Thrones, which debuts Sunday at 9 p.m., will be aired back-to-back on HBO at 10:05 p.m. and 11:15 p.m.

In addition, the premiere episode will be shown across six HBO channels simultaneously the next day at 9 p.m. on HBO, HBO2, HBO Signature, HBO Comedy, HBO Zone and HBO Latino. HBO2 will also air encores at 10:05 p.m. and 11:15 p.m."

Was alright. I'm not going to reread the books till after the first season but don't remember any huge deviations so far. People looking for an action show will be disappointed, no big loss.

After seeing Momoa in action though, I might have to take back my concerns in his role as Conan (though he still looks far too Stygian for the role).

Why is everyone hatin' on SoT? :huh:

I have WoT but SoT is a good fantasy in it's own right. I'm enjoying them at least. The show was decent but it needed an HBO or Showtime to do it justice. Too much of the touchy feely without any of the gore, or Kahlan leading a battle in an enemy encampment in the nude.

I forgot the premier for this was last night, I need to watch the encore tonight. Been waiting for this for a while.

Vulture posted the preliminary metered market numbers that? I?d heard, but not seen, for Game of Thrones 9pm airing on HBO. A 1.6 household rating (about 1.9 million homes, not people, viewers will be higher since more than one person per household can watch). That?s 43% lower than the 2.8 preliminary household rating for the premiere of Boardwalk Empire.

not great ratings :wacko:

I'd venture to guess there were at least 50,000 downloads (illegal), most likely even more than that. Let's just say that I don't have cable and HBO needs to get an Online subscription setup for those of us in a similar situation.

I enjoyed the first episode. I've never read the books but a few of my friends have and the way I took it is that it's more of a political intrigue series than just all out action. I don't like to make judgements on a series until 4-5 episodes in - 'Treme' is a great reason why. I was really into it for the first 5 episodes then it just lost me.

Looking forward to the season and hopefully the show doesn't flame out as we go on.