pioneer 16xdvd

viewsonic a95f 19'

ms natural keyboard pro & intellimouse explorer

sidewinder force feedback wheel & game pad

canon bjc 630

umax astra 610p

Why have you got your P4 running so slow ? :D

Originally posted by Marshalus

Optional Windows Messenger integration onto the browser, buddy list docked onto the browser (not really sure I'd use it, but it would be cool.)

hmmm... funny I think I remembered that being there in IE6 Public Preview 1 until they mysteriously removed it... they caught their mistake, they made an improvement *gasp*

Here's an idea:

I saw some people complaining about Pop-Up windows, and how they just wanted to turn them off for good... but sometimes Pop-Up windows can be useful. What if Microsoft put in a Pop-Up manager? It could look something like this...

Wishlist for IE 7:

1. Skinnable

2. Download manager

3. Optional e-mail/outlook express explorer bar integrated into IE

4. Optional MSN Messenger explorer bar

5. Be able to change throbber within browser(animated picture in upper right; goes with #1)

6. Better favorites management; creates a custom "start page" that has your favorites on it as well as news, weather, etc.

Hopefully we will not have to wait for IE 49013841905729857.78577968 for any of these features.

Originally posted by velocity3k

Truman, what would you have your P4 running at???

faster than 1.95Mhz, maybe 1.95Ghz, but i only have a slow old mobile P3 800mhz, which i can't overclock, let alone find it :p

IE has supported gradients in HTML for awhile now. I know the CSS code if you want it. But it can be used horribly, so I don't recommend it unless it's used well... :)

Turning off Pop-Ups would not be helpful for corporate users. Pop-Ups are VERY handy for web applications, and while they are mis-used on the internet for advertising, they can be a very important feature to us web developers especially in Intranet applications.

Plus, as 2000 and 2001 have shown us, a dot-com/Linux business model of everything should be free and provide no revenue for the business has failed. As a result we will see more advertising on the web as people try to find a way to make money in this capitalistic marketplace. TV is far cheaper than it could be because we are willing to sit through 2 minutes of commercials every 10 minutes.

If you would like the internet to remain low-cost, then I think you can suffer through clicking the close button on the pop-ups every once and a while. Otherwise, we might see net commercials where your ISP interrupts your connection to show you two minutes of advertising. It WILL happen if people can't find a better way to make money on the web. So, Pop-Ups are here to stay, get used to it and stop complaining...

I think IE 6 was a big step up, but maybe not visibly in the interface. IE 6 hasn't crashed on any of my network, it doesn't lock up the system, and is much faster in it's ability to render pages. If IE 6.5/7 is going to do anything, it will continue to expand it's support for standards. IE 6 reached complete adherance to CCS 1 and HTML 4, and greatly expanded it's XML/XSL support. All of that "

" and "<: font="30>" stuff is non-sense. That's no where near XML compliant, so let's just drop it and move on. Microsoft is far ahead of Netscape and on par with Opera in it's standards compliance, plus it add numerous advanced features that make building powerful browser-based applications possible.

If I'd like to see one thing in IE 6.5/7, it would be a more customizable interface. I would like to be able to put tool bars vertically down the sides or along the bottom, as well as decide what the interface looks like. If they made the IExplorer.exe file use an HTML- or XML-based interface for the buttons and menus, then we could code our own interfaces, which would be VERY cool!

• 2 months later...

i thought you could make gradients already? using css and IE specific filters you can make gradients, opaque gradients, opaque images, etc.? or i could just bemisunderstadning what yer sayin :s:D

your guys suggestions are great and i agree with them all i wish they had a download manager and a option to stop pop ups, and the ability to customize the buttions and skin that would be good to.

I have a few points most of which are displayed as quotes in an effort to make this more readable

Gradients... Not too sure about this one as I expect it would be a very resource hungry application that would be needed to render gradients "on-the-fly"... but we'll see.
Home Button Thingy: Would be too buggy... imagine a site like this:

www.server.com/users/mikes_webspace/marys_site/

What would be the home? Mary's Homepage is the "Home" of her site, as Mike's folder is the root of his site. While www.server.com is possibly the homepage of the ISP.

Validation Tools - I wouldn't necessarily drop this, but I thought I'd point out these favelets (http://tantek.com/favelets/) Also, to avoid MS exploiting these, I would suggest that it be left to 3rd party?s and be implemented similarly to the ?Google Bar?
For those who want a skinnable browser... :right:
I agree a simple download manager would be a worthwhile addition. No fancy ftp search features, just a method to "queue" downloads and review them at a later date.
For those who are going on about XHTML 2 or HTML 5 etc... Let the "standard" become a standard first ffs... it's no good supporting standards that don't even exist.
@ Spectre: "non-div layers" - What would be the point? I'm curious to see the advantages (if any) of this...

Also, a few of your points would be invalid according to w3c standards... and adding non-standard tag support would be wrong and completely against what IE/Moz/Opera strive to do, and would detract from a possible cross platform / cross media solution (PDA/WAP etc)

Mouse Gestur:ermm::ermm: ... That should be up to the manufacturer of mice and their drivers.
Pop-Up windows: Make IE handle these the same way Mozilla does... Example: Any UNREQUESTED windows are not allowed to spawn.

Of course this would have to be a toggle-able option.

Optional Mail Bars - Better leave mail to the Mail program... else IE would end up being more resource hungry than it already is.
I HEAVILYLY suggest that Microsoft drop all the support for proprietary Microsoft tags/filters... like "drop shadow" and "gradients".
@ khaos34 : Yes you can do this... but it's exactly what you say, MS Proprietary code, none of which is helping us reach a total cross platform compatible code base.

In closing I'll recap my recommendations for IE6+ (Possibly v.7 when looking at added features):

1. Advanced History Features (Search & Other Queries)

2. XML Based Favourites System (Thus making it customisable, as well as allowing other programs to "tap in to" the favourites system with easeCompletete w3c standards support (for completeded standard, not w3c recommendations as these will inevitably change)

4. Simple Download Management System (Queuing etc)

5. Pop-Up Management System

6. The dropping of MS Proprietary tags frcompletelyly

I think people should look at some of their suggestions, as these people would probably be the same folk would probably be the ones complaining that IE is "bloat ware" if many of these suggestions became a reality.

Just my 2cent, and remember these are my views. My apologies for the messy-ness of this post.

Ta,

Kris

as of right now: no one knows

it may or may not even be being worked on.

I highly doubt it's being working on past the planning stages, though.

hmm some of these have already been said

• built in mp3 support (like on the original preview n it kicked a$$
    built in download manager that lets u resume/cancel/etc
    custom designed look (ie make your own buttons)
    integration with hotmail and msn/windows messenger
    downloadable plugins list/removable plugins so that you can add features to ie or remove features if u hate it
    tabs feature
    an outlook express tab so u can go into outlook express without opening the application
    more features for outlook express including more customization of emails/replying emails

thats all i can think of right now

Yup, gradients are available on IE6 (maybe even lower). The biggest flaw with it is that it required a width not in a % (ie, it works if you use px). Works on images as well.

&lt;pre&gt;

&lt;td style="width:120; color:#FFFFFF; filter:alpha(finishopacity=0, style=1)" bgcolor="#808080" align="center" height="20"&gt;Linear Gradient&lt;/td&gt;

&lt;/pre&gt;

What I would like to see:

- a "Never accept downloads from this source" (Those annoying comet cursers etc. bother me everytime I visit a page with them. They offer to always trust, why not never trust? This one has bothered me for ages!)

- 'show partial source', 'show style sheets', 'search with', 'dictionary', 'translate', 'up a level', 'target links to new window', 'find on this page', 'toggle images, javascript, sounds, etc' on and off, etc added to right click menu and optionally to toolbar buttons. Also make them easy to remove if we decide we don't use them.

Currently I'm using scripts in the favorites to get these :/

- Option to use tabbed windows

- Ability to easily change the icons on IE toolbar and throbber icon

- better png transparency and w3c standards support

- resume downloads better and scan for virus's once they are complete (with your chosen virus scanner, not an IE one)

- Easier to control the default window size (I prefer it not to open full screen, many others would rather that).