Slimming down Win7 post install?

Annoyingly I had to install Win7 on my slowest drive (IDE), because my two SATA's weren't detected during setup, grrr. It's only 80GB and I'm running out of space slowly, have around 18GB left at the moment.

I remember having a program on XP/Vista which let me slim down the OS post install, and remove unnecessary things like language files, support files, etc. Is there a program that will do this for me? Thanks in advance :)

Just go to Control Panel and search for "Windows Features", then click "Turn Windows Features on or off". You can remove some things you don't want in there, but I'm not sure how much space you'll save.

Update: Nevermind, that lets you turn the features off, but doesn't uninstall them.

If you could solve the SATA problem, you could make a system image of your Windows Partition and reinstall on one of the SATA drives.

If you don't use hibernation then run "powercfg -h off" from an elevated command prompt. This will disable hibernation and delete the hiberfil.sys file which can be up to 4GB depending on your amount of installed RAM.

Well did you install Ultimate or what? You know you can go to Programs - Uninstall a program - Turn off Windows features and remove stuff like Media Center and Tablet PC components and other lil things like that if you aren't using them? If you are using System Restore then it will take up some space too. If you got a recent backup, delete all the older restore points to give you back some space.

The main issue, why can't you install to your SATAs? You said they aren't detected during install which is weird. Can you set your bios to "IDE Mode" for your sata controllers or something like that? Vista and 7 should see SATA controllers by default unless it's a new PCI controller that it doesn't have drivers for. That you'll have to put them on a USB stick then press F6 i think during install and then load the drivers then your SATA drives will show up.

Thanks for the info guys, will remove some of those things now! Yes it's Win 7 Ultimate :)

As for the SATA problem it turned out to be a RAID problem or something. Can't remember fully now but I think it required me to format the drive clean if I wanted to install, which was a definite no-no as I had too much stuff I needed! But it turned out after I installed that I just had to switch from the RAID setup in Bios or something, doh!

If you could solve the SATA problem, you could make a system image of your Windows Partition and reinstall on one of the SATA drives.

Is it that simple? Will I be able to keep my installed programs, etc?

Well did you install Ultimate or what? You know you can go to Programs - Uninstall a program - Turn off Windows features and remove stuff like Media Center and Tablet PC components and other lil things like that if you aren't using them?

As I stated, in Windows 7, this feature simply turns off the feature, it does not uninstall it.

As I stated, in Windows 7, this feature simply turns off the feature, it does not uninstall it.

Yup, you are right on that one. Technically it doesn't uninstall it but doesn't it remove the hard links or something in the system drive and limit them to the WinSxS folder therefore making it seem like it was removed? I dunno, don't quote me on that either. I just remember it being something like that?

... therefore making it seem like it was removed?

Even if that's the case, the files will still be there, taking up space, even if they are not detected by the OS. You are able to turn those features back "on" if you desire.

OP: you don't have a Windows.old taking up space do you? If so, follow instructions in this thread. Worked for me.

Mambo Boy:i've had that issue where i had an ide and a sata but wanted to install on the sata for obvious reasons but windows would not let me install on it only on the ide so i had to temperaily disable the ide by unplugging the power connector and then i could install to the sata then after install i reconnected the ide and all was fine. if your running out of space i would remove your hibernation file and reduce the system restore to 1% and for the recycle bin reduce it to 1% and that should give more space but remember 7 is bigger than xp so wheras xp installs around 1.2ish gb's of stuff and 7 installs around 10-13GBish worth of stuff but if your willing to go through some risk then use vlite to reduce the size of the install but as i said there is a risk as if you remove the wrong thing and you go to install something it may fail to install/work but if your willing to take the risk then it may be worth it,personaly i would not bother as the risk would outdo the gains involded.

Use DISM.exe to get the installed packages and use it to remove the packages like TabletPC, MediaCenter and other things you don't want to have.

Windows allows you to load drivers before install for this very reason.

Dowload driver. Put on USB. Load driver during the disk section.

You can then install onto that drive.