I didn't pull trigger....

Here's something no one seems to have considered, even me until now. If the OP had shot anyone, the police would have confiscated the gun until ballistics testing and background checks could be performed, then the weapon would be locked in the police evidence room for use as evidence in court. Only after the case was closed would the weapon be returned to it's owner.

Leaving the man without his gun until then, which could easily be well over a year.

Me? A sysadmin? No. I used to be a volunteer moderator of this site, but other than that, I am just a member here.

However, I am an employee of a Smith & Wesson company. ;)

I would like to discuss where you seem to think that his behavior of flashing a gun to intimidate is a good idea. Nothing more than overly-macho chest thumping that escalates the situation. As you saw.

There is a reason you are taught to only pull a gun if you fully intend to do the next step. He's very lucky he wasn't shot with his own friggin gun.

so true mate.

I respect what you did, but personally if I felt as threatened as you were, I would not hesitate to fire (to wound, not to kill). Putting them in the hospital and having them experience subsequent jailtime would be a good lesson for them to understand that if you aren't civilized you don't belong with the rest of society.

At the end of the day not a single one of us could be absolutely sure what we would have done in that situation. Sure we would all think, "we would have shot him". But until you are faced with the decision you don't know for sure. Having said that, this time ended with you and him still breathing. I guess instead of killing them I'd like to think i'd aim for a knee, but don't know what i'd do in the actual situation.

As for the cop, he's just happy you didn't kill him because of all the paper work he would have to fill out.

At the end of the day not a single one of us could be absolutely sure what we would have done in that situation. Sure we would all think, "we would have shot him". But until you are faced with the decision you don't know for sure. Having said that, this time ended well. I guess instead of killing them I'd like to think i'd aim for a knee, but don't know what i'd do in the actual situation.

im sure someone here knows they could. IE someone in the military.

that is one kind of person you would not want to **** with. Or someone who is ex special forces. They would be dead before they knew it!

in war less than 20% of soldiers aim at the enemy, the rest aim high or just don't fire. the remaining few who do aim to kill are what the army wants, they're also known as psychopaths.

in WWII the numbers where even lower. That's why the new training techniques are specifically aimed at desencitizing the soldiers and make them fire on instinct.

in war less than 20% of soldiers aim at the enemy, the rest aim high or just don't fire. the remaining few who do aim to kill are what the army wants, they're also known as psychopaths.

Did you just pull that number out your ass :p ?

What happened to you was unfortunate, but waving your gun around was a bad idea. What if they had a gun of their own? If they did and they felt threatened, they may very well have opened fire on you.

in WWII the numbers where even lower. That's why the new training techniques are specifically aimed at desencitizing the soldiers and make them fire on instinct.

I would be a psychopath then.

Man I need to apply for the army then, they'd love me.

Me too, I'm so emotionally disconnected I'd stab my own mum for a Snickers.

... What? Why you guys lookin' at me like that? :unsure:

I don't see the point of having a weapon if your not going to use it. No good showing the gun and then just lying down to take a beating.

Never pull your gun until you're going to shoot to kill.

The people who attacked you are cowards, and also need to feel dominance over someone. Pulling the gun the first time as a deterrant was enough to make them think twice, but you also really ****ed them off by making them retreat. Most likely, one or two of them decided to get revenge on your for making them look weak in front of their buddies. This made them more likely to come after you a second time around. They also decided to beat you until you were dead at that point, since you were a deadly threat, thus, killing you was justified in their minds.

Yeah, you were confronted by multiple people, but it would only have been necessary to shoot one of them to make the rest run away. You don't buy and carry a gun as a deterrant. You buy and carry a gun so that you can neutralize attackers.

Why would you have to shoot to kill? Shoot the ****** in the foot or something.

This isn't just replying to you, but to everyone who said to disable rather than kill - shooting and missing is the worst thing ever. You give your attacker more time to get within arms length of you, and your bullet might hit innocent bystanders. If you're going to fire a gun at someone, always aim for their torso.

Me too, I'm so emotionally disconnected I'd stab my own mum for a Snickers.

... What? Why you guys lookin' at me like that? :unsure:

We're just surprised you'd only stab....

i guess i'll throw my 2 cents in as well, interesting story.

i think in many way it takes more courage not to take someone's life when you could and it might be reasonable and justified. so i think u should feel good about that and not cowardly.

ash and i think someone else pointed out that they probably got aggravated by seeing your gun and looking weak in front of their buddies. i speculate the best move would have been just to turn around, walk away right from the start instead of saying i don't want trouble and flashing the gun. showing in the gun is a form of escalation and intimidation in my opinion. still... its a split second reaction when you were initially threatened, and even though i give advice to walk away or avoid the conflict immediately i may have done the same thing as you.

glad u lived to tell the tale though.

I already am a psychopath. I just need an outlet for it. :D

Glad you didn't have to kill, sidroc. It would have been understandable if you had, but I'm just glad it worked out the way it worked out.